Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Incorporate Gelding skill into Animal Caretaking skill  (Read 2364 times)

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
Re: Incorporate Gelding skill into Animal Caretaking skill
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 01:27:42 pm »

Fully agree with Leatra.
Gelding seems just a part of an already existing skill

PS: Guys if you have additional ideas just open a new topic, don't hijack this one

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 03:10:22 pm »

Semi-off-topic profession-combining stuff in spoiler..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For gelding, I imagine that Toady has the complete version of the final, fully functioning 'animal caretaker' in mind.. By then it sounds like they'll be as important as your fort's doctor, providing medical care/food/water to any and all injured animals.. I wouldn't want to risk the potential of my animal doc running off during war-time because he's still got 45 more cattle to finish gelding..  From what I've seen, "jack-of-all-trades" dwarves are total chaos as far as what they'll do in what order..

Its hard to draw a line between customization and clutter, especially when the game is so far-reaching.. I just don't think I'd want my animal doc training animals, or my trainer gelding animals, or my gelder animal-doctoring :> Its a nice feeling when you know you've got a single dwarf who lives for nothing but a single profession, since they'll take care of whatever needs done as long as they're happy and sane..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 07:01:48 pm »

My issue is that gelding is a very narrow field. It doesn't need doing on a regular basis and feels a bit wasted. Maybe if it were tied into wider animal surgery or something, but for now it's just taking up more space than it deserves.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 03:24:16 pm »

Fully agree with Leatra.
Gelding seems just a part of an already existing skill
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.
Pages: 1 [2]