Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Investors club's?  (Read 2992 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Investors club's?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 11:20:31 am »

Long term stock holding was what i was going to go for anyways. Simply put i don't have the money now and i'm really just aiming to have extra cash when i retire at 67 (or 70 depends on what the retirement age is 50 years from now). At 20 going 21 i just don't have 2000$ to spend and simply don't have 4k anywhere since..well i'm starting out.  :-[

Also, how long is long term? 5 years?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 11:43:05 am »

20 years at least, ideally more like 50.  The point with passive investing is to get those transaction costs down to practically zero.  That's where your advantage comes over active investors.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:45:39 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 03:28:32 pm »

http://www.automaticfinances.com/monkey-stock-picking/

Can Monkeys Pick Stocks Better than Experts?

<...>

But professional investors should have some real knowledge of beating the market, right? Isn’t that why they do it for a living?

Enter monkeys throwing darts.

The upshot is that paying a (hypothetical) monkey to throw darts at the nytimes stock pages outperforms a lot of professional investment managers. And monkeys charge less in fees. The monkey stocks actually did better over 6 months than the professional picks did, which did better in the short term, but that's attributable to a placebo effect - a pro investor annoucing which shares he's buying causes the price to spike up, but these gains all disappeared within 6 months and the picks were worse than blind chance.

Just buy a few shares in a number of reputable firms and hold onto them. Don't put all your eggs in one basket either, spread it around, and make sure you spread it around totally different types of firms, don't put it all the same sector, or all into sectors which are reliant on the same thing (like all in oil and car related stuff, or all into food related stuff). And don't panic in a crash, wait for the recovery.
This. But in combination with this, don't have someone manage it for you. The job of an investment management place is to make themselves money using your money, not to make you money. As such, any gains they could theoretically get for you would be skimmed off the top in fees, and if they don't make gains for you, they skim off a bunch in fees anyway.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 09:56:52 pm »

If you wanna buy long term look at what you think the future holds, and then find the most competent companies in that sector. Personally, I'd probably buy some Tesla stock as electric cars will be the way of the future and Musk is a clever guy. Other than that gold is usually reliable, but you won't be making bank off it. If holding for 50 years I'd stay away from resource extraction outfits, as some serious shit will be happening to them in that time. Finally, I just pulled all this out of my ass. Will definitely be following this.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 [2]