Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Werebeast strange mood science  (Read 3043 times)

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Werebeast strange mood science
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:19:09 am »

I'm curious, for the sake of !!SCIENCE!! can a werebeast dwarf have a strange mood and if so, what happens if the werebeastism occurs during their strange mood?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Werebeast strange mood science
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:32:12 am »

1. Maybe. I'm not sure  if anyone's had a werebeast mood yet.
2. I assume they'd be fine until such time as they accidentally destroy their own workshop and go insane.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 01:59:08 am »

If you want to test it would probably be easier if all your dwarves were wearbeasts. I think you can mod the syndrome so it's easier to infect people with it i.e. using a regional interaction or putting it as ingestible on something common like plump helmets.

If I'm hearing you right here you want to see if a transformation will break the mood or not, seems like this would be an easier way to test that.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 04:04:26 pm »

Okay, since the OP hasn't tested this yet, I intend to. Would I have to generate a new world for this, of could I "introduce" a werecreature syndrome by making plump helmets and specify one of the generated werebeast interactions?

If it's the latter, this would be a great way to "introduce" night creatures into a world with only 60 years of history that currently only has necromancers.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 04:08:31 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 05:19:07 pm »

from what i know of raws, you "should" be ok with modifying plump helmets or something.

Although i can imagine in the mountainhomes a bunch of additional werebeasts running loose considering it's a very commonly eaten plant.

Make 100% sure you modify the raws in your save AND in your DF folder. If you do not modify it in two places, it's not going to work.

MY guess at it working is because you can update a lot of DF versions by copying the raws and pasting them over the old raws of an old version.
Haven't had an issue all the way through .40 yet.

edit:
If you're asking if modifying plump helmets to cause a reaction will work then i don't know. It doesn't sound like that's what you asked, seems to me you're asking if you need a new world or not and are already sure that the modification should work.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »

from what i know of raws, you "should" be ok with modifying plump helmets or something.

Although i can imagine in the mountainhomes a bunch of additional werebeasts running loose considering it's a very commonly eaten plant.

Make 100% sure you modify the raws in your save AND in your DF folder. If you do not modify it in two places, it's not going to work.

MY guess at it working is because you can update a lot of DF versions by copying the raws and pasting them over the old raws of an old version.
Haven't had an issue all the way through .40 yet.

edit:
If you're asking if modifying plump helmets to cause a reaction will work then i don't know. It doesn't sound like that's what you asked, seems to me you're asking if you need a new world or not and are already sure that the modification should work.

This particular world's got dead dwarven civs, so that's not a concern, and even then, I don't think the game simulates ingested syndromes and the eating habits of individual dwarves. My concern is that you typically can't mod anything that was randomly generated; this would only involve attaching one of the generated interactions to a syndrome on plump helmets or something, which doesn't require you to change anything in the generated raws, just whatever file plump helmets are in.

I know for a fact transformation interactions can be attached to syndromes, you see this in vanilla with thralling dust, I'm just not sure if you can add syndromes to an existing world; new interactions almost certainly require a regen.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:57:06 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 02:29:07 am »

1. Maybe. I'm not sure  if anyone's had a werebeast mood yet.

I've seen one mood while in dwarf form. It successfully completed the mood before the next full moon, so I didn't see what happens if it transforms.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 05:41:21 am »

I think that if you attach the new interactions or syndromes to an existing creature or plant, they'll work.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 11:44:53 am »

I can confirm that were-infected dwarves can get moods: My dwarf was struck by mood while being walled-in. FPS got hit hard. I could not open his chamber before he transformed. While being in were-form, she still 'had the aspect of a fey mood', after transforming back I released her, and she completed the artifact. Now she is back in her cave.