Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Excluding workshops from the manager  (Read 953 times)

brandominator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Excluding workshops from the manager
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:42:59 am »

I have seperate workshops for my legendary dwarves whenever i need something important crafted but whenever i set tasks in the manager the workshop gets spammed with other tasks i want my scrub dwarves to do so i want to be able to exclude certain workshops from the manager. (also renaming rooms would be nice, The misty brew would be a nice name for my meeting hall)

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Excluding workshops from the manager
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 09:21:49 am »

There is a messy trick to work around this- you can fill up a workshop (for your legendary dwarf) with dummy jobs on suspend.  Say you want 20 orders of blocks made, but still want your legendary mason to churn out masterwork coffers to outfit the new migrant wave.  What you do is leave the scud labor workshops empty.  Your legendary mason workshop has your "Construct rock Coffer" set to repeat, then has 9 other "dummy" (tables, thrones, doors... anything but blocks).  Or you could just fill his workshop up entirely with suspended jobs to keep it on standby.  Just make sure to set a maximum skill level (talented maybe?) on your scud labor workshops. 

When set up right, your legendary mason workshop will be passed over by the manager (since the workshop is full) and the scud workshops will get filled up with the job.  However, if you have less workshop-job space than job's queued up, when you start working out of your legendary workshop order jobs might start popping up. 

Its more micromanagement, but its the best workaround you can do other than simply not using the manager.  I do agree with you in that the manager should respect workshops.  Personally, I'd like to see a key to either assign the jobs through workshops, or be able to assign a profile to the job order (like you can a workshop).  So when you order "30 rock blocks" form the manager, you can adjust the profile to only assign to workshops that have certain skill levels enabled.  So your "construct rock blocks 30: dabbling skill min/talented skill max"

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Excluding workshops from the manager
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:58:39 am »

Previous suggestions have focused on allowing the player to choose which labor types (or perhaps even task types) to allow the manager to enqueue in a given workshop.  Excluding the workshop entirely is a simpler way to achieve much of that effect, but not quite all; in particular, splitting armor and weapon smithing really needs the finer grain, while also needing to accept manager orders for both halves.

Perhaps a convenient way to handle this is with a screen similar to stockpile settings.  In the left-hand column, relevant labor types could be enabled or disabled.  Another column would allow enabling or disabling particular task types for the selected labor.  If warranted for a particular workshop, a third column could allow filtering based on material.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?