north south
- 0 (0%)
east west
- 2 (15.4%)
both
- 7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]

Author Topic: Dominions 4 game #13 Sub found  (Read 40639 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 game #13 Sub found
« Reply #420 on: July 06, 2015, 05:37:34 am »

If I were you, I'd send your items to Sauromatia anyways. I can hold my throne (and might not be able to do anything effective with your items, unless you've got some useful misc items).

Edit: Well, I can hold it for a while, anyways. Marverni still has almost the entire map and all its resources, along with infinite boarspam to throw at us, after all. The only thing holding him back from my throne is that he has to burn gems making water-breathing stuff (or undead), and presumably there are less prickly thrones above water. (I say while he takes my poorly defended provinces)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:41:03 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vava-Grey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 06, 2015, 06:04:53 am »

I am in war with EnigmaticHat so I don't want to be nice.
No hard feelings, I'm the one who attacked you :)

I think you did pretty well coming back from the brink, and your dragon made a lot of sense for Arco.  I think you had like, what, 2 provinces for half a year?  And you took most of your stuff back.  No comment on the scales but your pretender can't have been worse than mine.

Yeah, you got me pretty bad there. I was involved in 2 wars before your forces came, so I was kinda devastated and not prepared to counter skeletspam. But honestly my economics and gem-income were beyond bad, that was a result of my lukewarm expansion and Scales, making no sense. So the main reason of my weak prowess was a shitty economics and research.
  I was able to somehow repel you but it costed me the whole my collection of gems and monies. I became utterly broke. No way I were able to recover, especially considering that the war was in stalemate at best.

Well, somehow a nice game. The only minus of it was that it was too slow  ;D.

If I were you, I'd send your items to Sauromatia anyways.
... unless you've got some useful misc items

Really, it doesn't matter much. I can't see a way to defend a lot of Thrones, some of which belongs to AI from Marvenni. Think about that just as a sign of free will.

I am sending the banch of Owl Quills to you. 3 Unical Artifacts (Crown of Ivy King, Fenrir's Pelt and Tome of the Plans) and some busters on Nature and earth, nothing special. And some enchanted swords. I was quite poor to be honest. Plus some gems I got. No more than 30 in total.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 06, 2015, 04:00:49 pm »

Alright, thanks.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 11, 2015, 12:54:55 pm »

Sauromatia is running out of time (not that it'll change much!).

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 11, 2015, 01:39:09 pm »

Welp, I think I did OK for myself in that fight, all things considered.  I've heard that you get a turn to take back the thrones, but judging by that message this game started before that patch.

So, postmortem.  I could say I did a lot of really dumb stuff in the early-mid game, or that my pretender made no sense, and that would all be true.  But you know what, I have no regrets.  I killed SCs, I fought off an actual army controlled by an actual human player, I got to cast a spell that costs 75 gems (twice!).  I had fun, and its not like I was going to win :D  If I had to say, the worst thing that I did was put my soothesayers in unnecessary suicide communions.  I didn't realize there was a fatigue penalty when the communion slave doesn't have one of the spell's paths, so I killed a bunch of lab rats for no reason.  If I hadn't done that I might have actually reached nether bolts by the time the game ended.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 11, 2015, 02:14:59 pm »

The patch changed it so that you can take them away the same turn that they're claimed and it will deny victory. Prior to it, someone could claim the thrones they needed to win, lose one that same turn to attacking troops, and still win the game because it checked throne ownership and decided victory at the beginning of the turn (which happened in 406). Now it does it at the end, I believe.

So you don't really get a turn to take them back so much as have the chance to take them back if you realize they're going to be claimed and manage to counterattack and retake them the same turn they're claimed.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 11, 2015, 03:00:36 pm »

Which would have been difficult, since I won with 11/10 thrones.

Good game everyone! Here's the final score graphs, for anyone who left early (or is just curious):

Spoiler: Final Province Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final Forts Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final Income Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final Gem Income Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final Research Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final Dominion Graph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Final Army Size Graph (click to show/hide)

Overall, I'm very happy with - as Il Palazzo called it - my boarpocalypse. The only real snag was defeating castles, since (as was shown to me repeatedly), a handful of large creatures can basically stand in the doorway all day long, while arrows and spells rained down on my poor boars until they routed. We also faced massive starvation (boars eat a lot, especially if you've got 100-200 of them in any one place!), but luckily, any major battle (read: one that had my mages in it) casted bless (+1 morale, then another +1 from my Throne of Zeal) and, if it was a big enough battle (8+ communion slaves) fanaticism (which is either another +1 or +2), so even the starving boars were pretty good about not running unless things were really going poorly.

But yeah, I got to play around with some big globals, summoned up most of the elemental royalty, started forging all kinds of artifacts, and got to crush things under thousands of hooves.

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 11, 2015, 08:01:33 pm »

If retrospectives are order of the day, here's mine:
What I did well: Paths on my god. My bless eliminated the archery weakness of my sacred troops while letting them fight forever, made my mages accurate and theoretically able to survive a rain of stones or acid storm. I could also forge staves of elemental mastery, which are handy on every big mage TC gets.
I did a reasonable job of diplomacy for most of the game, letting me concentrate power on individual opponents. I had fairly well equipped thugs.

What I did poorly: I was very cautious with my prophet, and using him more aggresively could have done a lot. I expanded slowly, and didn't aggressively push into enemy territory when given the chance. I severely underestimated my chariots, and better use of them could have seen me grow much faster. I attacked Marverni before researching beast mastery, when doing otherwise may have won me the game. I overestimated nether darts and flaming arrows, and underestimated the 50 turn route rule. I never developed a proper counter to blood vengeance.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 11, 2015, 08:55:24 pm »

I've never fought anyone using BV that I recall, but are there even any counters for it other than trampling (or regenerating, theoretically)?

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 11, 2015, 11:33:54 pm »

The Antimagic spell, and other sources of MR. But antimagic sticks out as requiring one clam's worth of pearls I could have easily had, but never actually used. So I lost good evokers to Lanka, in an entirely avoidable manner! Things got a bit better when I started passing around skullcaps and rainbow armour, but I could have saved myself a lot of pain.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 11, 2015, 11:39:28 pm »

I've never fought anyone using BV that I recall, but are there even any counters for it other than trampling (or regenerating, theoretically)?

You can also "counter" it by doing the damage with something more expendable than the sacred its attacking.  So in most cases, anything that isn't a mage.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Hatman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 11, 2015, 11:42:12 pm »

That's what I had glaives and archers for, but they seemed to always resist or survive it, where mages with 6 more MR just keeled over.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 11, 2015, 11:54:43 pm »

That's because mages put out more damage.  BV is 1:1 IRRC; if the target defends itself, no BV.  If you only did 3 damage to the target, you only take 3 damage in return.

Since evokers pour out damage against a bunch of different targets, its basically suicide to use them against BV sacreds.  That and you probably lost a few archers and didn't care because they don't cost 100+ a pop.

Vava-Grey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2015, 10:05:12 am »

I'd like to congratulate AlStar for the victory, it was impressive. Your play made me want to play Marvenni myself other time. It's a pity that I haven't been able to face you directly. But EnigmaticHat have taugh me few things too. Especially about usefulness of Hidden Underneath spell and abot Flint Swords, lol. Also thanks Hatman for prolonged cooperation.

GG, guys.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2015, 01:02:58 pm »

You taught me how annoying golems are.

I thought of so many anti-SC strategies and only 2 of them worked because, well, its a fricken golem.  No mind affecting spells, no fatigue (took me way too long to realize that), basically immune to troops, the only resist-or-die effect I had was Opposition which has like twenty range and I needed a communion to cast.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]