Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choosing art subject  (Read 733 times)

Choosing art subject
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »

Greetings fellow overlords.
 Don't you think it would be awesome to choose what subjects your dwarves engrave/sculpt, so you can adorn the outside of your fortress with engravings of dying elves (bonus if it happened at YOUR fortress!) and then sell merchants statues of their predecessors' slaughter (this would require being able to see statue description in the trading UI).
 It would be like a statue menu in the mason's workshop menu, sort of like this: -u) Statue
                                                                                                                     -Material (like in forges)
                                                                                                                     -m) Murder
                                                                                                                      v) Victory
                                                                                                                      f) Founding
                                                                                                                      w) Worship
                                                                                                                      etc.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing art subject
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:16:30 pm »

Greetings fellow overlords.
 Don't you think it would be awesome to choose what subjects your dwarves engrave/sculpt, so you can adorn the outside of your fortress with engravings of dying elves (bonus if it happened at YOUR fortress!) and then sell merchants statues of their predecessors' slaughter (this would require being able to see statue description in the trading UI).
 It would be like a statue menu in the mason's workshop menu, sort of like this: -u) Statue
                                                                                                                     -Material (like in forges)
                                                                                                                     -m) Murder
                                                                                                                      v) Victory
                                                                                                                      f) Founding
                                                                                                                      w) Worship
                                                                                                                      etc.

This has already been suggested several times and is already a planned feature. As recently as the latest DF Talk:

Threetoe:   Okay, and their last question is, "Will there ever be a way to specify what the subject of a statue or engraving ought to be?"
Toady:   Yeah, definitely. I believe that's up on the dev pages, but it's in our notes for things and what you should be allowed to do. Now we'd like the dwarves to be as autonomous as possible; we'd like dwarves to come up with their own artwork and that kind of thing. But if you want something, especially if you're doing like a temple or something and you want a statue of the particular god at the northern wall of this room, situated in just such a way so that you can satisfy the requirements of what the temple should be like, that kind of thing. Or you want to make a picture of an elf dying because you don't like them and you want to stick it out front and make it out of wood. Yeah, that's all cool. And the dwarves should enjoy working on those projects in some cases, sometimes they should be a little upset to have to work on a commission like that. But there are lots of different ways to handle that.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 01:18:38 pm »

Thanks a lot!
Looking forward to seeing it in game (evil laugh).
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 01:19:00 pm »

I like the idea of themes, I don't so much like the idea of dictating exactly what is made, given how little control we actual directly have.

So, asking for fortress related art could result in a statue if Bomrek being afraid of rats, or could result in the picture of that goblin that was killed.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:02:40 pm »

I agree, to much control would break the chaotically unpredictable nature that creates the fun of dwarf fortress. but i think it would be nice to choose the nature of what is depicted, either as fortress related, or as brutal gruesome violence, to satisfy the different uses of choosing what is engraved, ie a history of the world, or a wall of blood and gore. At very least for engravings, that you can't really undo other than by destroying the wall. If for some reason we can't do that, it would be nice to see what is on a statue while trading or before placing it. Or even when it's placed. I think you're supposed to be able to see through k but I can't for some reason.