Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 437251 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Starbound - Caveat emptor
« on: December 23, 2014, 02:30:54 pm »

It was pointed out in the thread that, as burningpet is banned, we're never going to see OP updates, which might actually be relevant if and when we see a stable update and people start caring about servers again.

So yeah, if you've got a multiplayer server set up, PM me and I'll add it to the OP.

[NEWS]
[BUY]
[NIGHTLY BUILD CHANGELOG]
[UPCOMING UPDATE TRAILER]

Server status tracker + IPs. PM Ty or I for the password for his server. Though you should already know what it is.  ;)

On a related note, I know that there's inevitably going to be further resurrections of that stupid "CF is full of lying assholes! No, the playerbase is full of impatient assholes!" shitstorm. So when it does happen, please refrain from stoking the fires and avoid personal attacks, eh?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:23:19 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe/Rampaging Koala
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:47:30 pm »

Hooray! New thread, new RAEG at developers.

I honestly still enjoy the game. And still play it :D

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:10:47 pm »

Whoa, hey, I just realized there are trading cards for this game now. Was that always a thing?

I'm seriously considering giving this another go over the holiday break. I finally have some time to play games, and I intend to use it! I wish I had a fast enough internet connection to host a server. If anyone else gets one going, definitely post here! Maybe we could all do a day or two of fun with mods or something.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 03:16:46 pm »

If you've been holding off, I'd wait a little longer. The winter update is slated for January, which will push the last few months of nightly/unstable build changes to the stable branch.

Judging by the trailer they've put out, they've been sitting on a lot of content additions.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:21:31 pm »

If you are going to do it over the holiday break, though, switch over to the Unstable beta to pick up the update Nameless Archon mentioned.  That's likely to be my own intention, since January is going to be a bit busier than the end of December for me.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »

my understanding is the last update was february/march of 2014. so there isn't alot of urgency... damn just looked up 'burningpet' posts. dont know why people come to gaming forums and start irrelevant BS.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 03:50:24 pm »

Yeah, in January I'll be busy with my two jobs and trying to win my right to live in this country, so if I'm going to play, it'll need to be before new year's. Torn between trying the unstable or just downloading ALL THE MODS.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 04:05:03 pm »

PTRW
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 05:01:19 pm »

The nightly server I have been playing on seems to have given up the ghost.

If someone gets a server going, I'll drop by.  :D

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 05:55:52 pm »

I guess I'll post to watch again. I had fun when this first came out playing on a server with some other B12ers. Haven't played since. Hopefully, this next update is something worth coming back to.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 06:17:00 pm »

I'll accept new thread if there are going to be more frequent updates.

I will admit that I got this game based mostly off of the hyper train preceding it at "launch" and I only ever played for a couple hours before putting it down. Played the nightly recently and got stuck when I was required to get oil for steel to finish a quest.

I have a question for you guys, is this game mean to be played multiplayer or singleplayer? The fact that there are story quests suggest that singleplayer is intended to be the primary focus, whereas Terraria seemed to be more multiplayer friendly. I've never played multiplayer Starbound.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 08:36:32 pm »

I guess I have to post to watch here.

BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT
Love, scriver~

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:42 pm »

I have a question for you guys, is this game mean to be played multiplayer or singleplayer? The fact that there are story quests suggest that singleplayer is intended to be the primary focus, whereas Terraria seemed to be more multiplayer friendly. I've never played multiplayer Starbound.

That's a...really good question, actually. One thing it definitely inherited from Terraria is the idea that you can let your friends jump into your world whenever you feel like it. That's legitimately a cool thing for them to have built into the game from the start. Right now, with all the direction being player-supplied, it's not not designed for multiplayer, and you can always bootstrap people with your spare ores. I don't think we've heard all that many details about what quests are going to be added, and depending on how flexible they make that engine you could probably do some really interesting quests balanced around going in with a crew.

The screen caps I can remember off the top of my head, not to mention nearly every part of the recent trailer, were all single-player, though.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 10:53:35 pm »

eh? ehhh?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 11:41:30 pm »

Gonna ptw so I xan remember that this game exists, and in the eventuality that a new version is actually released.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 130