Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re:Legend: Stardew meets Monster Rancher, out now  (Read 2543 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re:Legend: Stardew meets Monster Rancher, out now
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:01:41 pm »

I mentioned this game in the "games that don't deserve their own thread" thread a few times as it wasn't out yet. But now it's out.

Home page
Kickstarter campaign
Steam - Normally $20 but is discounted to $18 for the first week.

Re:Legend was the subject of a successful Kickstarter campaign just a smidge over two years ago as of this post. It was slated to fulfill about a year ago but didn't. If you've been on the platform for any length of time, you probably expected that. They kept people in the loop with a monthly interactive update, however, so that helped to alleviate concerns.

Pretend I didn't read the final 4/5 of the thread title. What is this?

Re:Legend is a game of many hats.

You can do all of your typical farmgame things. Grow crops. Forage. Mine. Fight wild creatures for their body parts. Raise animals in your barn (I think).
You craft new equipment using things you've gathered and you seem to be able to unlock new stuff at some point. You have a number of "elemental" tabs in your crafting bench that you can cycle between but most are empty.

Pictured: Three of the... elemental item types? Water, plant, and... desert? poison?
You can do quests for the townsfolk, who are a mix of humans and penguins for some reason. I have no clue what rewards you get as I've only played a few in-game days at the moment.
Finally, you can tame wild creatures. These give you new abilities based on the creature. I've only tamed the mandatory water creature at the moment, which has proved helpful. It can water three tiles at once (a feat that would require upgrading your starting watering can) and uses its own pool of SP (energy, if you've played Stardew) to do it.

There's an overarching quest regarding the wild magnus (read: Poke-creature things) becoming more aggressive lately. Some ghost voyeur dude hangs out in your house while you're sleeping whispering to you about corruption and how you're the only one who can help. Oh, and some asshole tries to murder you as soon as you finish customizing your toon.

So there are boatloads of things to do. I'm assuming that more villagers arrive at some point as most of the businesses seem to be empty. And there are a lot of them.

My only complaint thus far is that the controls are a bit wonky. My controller mostly worked in the menus. But then to go back to the previous menu, you've got to hit Esc. While you're playing, you can hit F to progress conversations and interact with things. Except after a save, where you've got to click a button. Targeting attacks is a bit weird as well.

And upon firing up the game, I discover that one of the early quests seems to be bugged now. I can no longer resolve the differences of the blips and the prunis so I guess I get to restart. That's annoying but I suppose I shouldn't have went to sleep, saved, and then quit mid-quest.

Those issues should be fairly trivial to fix and the game's in EA at the moment so I suspect those low-hanging fruit to be addressed before the full release.

Multiplayer

You can play with a total of 1-4 players. I don't know anyone with the game, however, and my second key hasn't arrived yet so I've been unable to test it out. Just know that it supposedly exists and there's a menu item for it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:43:05 pm by Mephisto »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 04:00:12 pm »

I was hopeful for this game...sadly, from looking at the early reviews, it seems that this game came to early-access in a very messy state. There are reports of crashes, game-breaking quest hangs, animation issues, messy GUI, and various shortcomings in the general game design.

This might be worth keeping an eye on, but I'm not particularly optimistic at this point.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re:Legend: Stardew meets Monster Rancher, out now
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 04:25:30 pm »

Bought it, and I am not a fan.

The game feels artificially slow and clunky, for example the village is separated in many "zones", with a loading screens between each (and each time you enter a house) even though there are 2 NPCs at most in each zone.

The cutscenes and whenever you want to talk to NPCs (which is really often), everything is so slow, and dated. The "look like a JRPG" with minor animations on the NPCs can be cute, but here, they are so slow and exaggerated.

When you get a quest to grow five things, and you find a sack of 5 seeds in your inventory next time you open it, the seeds name has nothing to do with what you're supposed to grow (they're both invented words anyway). then you plant them are water them, but I could not find any indicator about whether they've grown enough to be OK for the quest, since each time you can gather or interact with something, you do not know what you are trying to get before you get it.

I have fought 3 different creatures already, but "fought" is not the right word : I did not get attacked once. All this big talk of "Magnus are aggressive", but all they do is groan after citizens.

Not recommended :/

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 06:46:32 pm »

When you get a quest to grow five things, and you find a sack of 5 seeds in your inventory next time you open it, the seeds name has nothing to do with what you're supposed to grow (they're both invented words anyway). then you plant them are water them, but I could not find any indicator about whether they've grown enough to be OK for the quest, since each time you can gather or interact with something, you do not know what you are trying to get before you get it.

I have fought 3 different creatures already, but "fought" is not the right word : I did not get attacked once. All this big talk of "Magnus are aggressive", but all they do is groan after citizens.

The second part may be a bug. On my first go round, I saved the lady and found it weird that only one of the enemies was attacking. On a second save, both were on me immediately.

As for the first bit, you seem to have combined a quest and a side quest. The game doesn't do a great job of explaining that you don't have to select the quest button to further quests. You talk to the lady and by way of thanks for saving her, she gives you some seeds. If you select quest, you trigger a side quest to grow x of a different plant that you have to buy the seeds for.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 12:19:18 am »

If you select quest, you trigger a side quest to grow x of a different plant that you have to buy the seeds for.
Hum, I had the Quest marker, on the side of my screen, which told me directly that I needed to bring her the potatoes-equivalent, and I don't remember (but may have missed) needing to buy the seeds for the quest.

It looks like things are badly explained and, from the other point, bug-prone...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 01:06:13 pm »

PTW

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 01:18:56 pm »

I've been interested in this since seeing the Kickstarter way back, but it sounds like it's going to need a lot of work from here before it resembles a "finished" game.

I'm big into mongames and similar, and there's a bunch of very promising ones slated to come out in the next year or so... but this one seems like it may have badly jumped the gun with its early access. I guess I'll add it to my list of games to check out once they get released for real, and hope they've gotten it together by then.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 05:06:22 pm »

but this one seems like it may have badly jumped the gun with its early access

I feel like it's more a matter of the small and inexperienced indie team being too ambitious. The instant I saw the kickstarter, I knew it didn't feel right for a game with this many features and this level of graphics to be coming out of a tiny and completely unknown dev team.