Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 443505 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1290 on: July 31, 2016, 07:24:03 pm »

I've found some human scientists in those underground ice biome mini-outposts, although they had lines that suggested they were supposed to be there.

Yeah people are just kind of scattered randomly for no reason in Starbound now :P
Makes for good RP value? :P It makes sense if they're there on a mission relevant to their profession...only wish they talked about it or something. :-[

So how goes Starbound in its current state? :D Also I've noticed there are achievements and trading cards on Steam now? o_O If one has an old character (ie with the 'max' tier 6 ship [was it tier 6?]), does the earnings carry over? :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 31, 2016, 07:25:52 pm »

The best way I can describe Starbound is that its early game fun curve is better... But after the early game it just nosedives like it did before.

It can be beaten WAY faster though.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 31, 2016, 07:27:34 pm »

So how goes Starbound in its current state? :D Also I've noticed there are achievements and trading cards on Steam now? o_O If one has an old character (ie with the 'max' tier 6 ship [was it tier 6?]), does the earnings carry over? :D

All old characters were deleted by the 1.0 update.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 31, 2016, 07:47:30 pm »

The best way I can describe Starbound is that its early game fun curve is better... But after the early game it just nosedives like it did before.
I noticed that earlier today. Terraria kept having features added on, and things expanded upwards in new ways, while Starbound was designed (and then re-designed) to fit in a box. You get the interesting stuff in the box shortly after the first mission opens FTL, and then all that's left is basically collecting hats.

I'd love to have the old guns generation system back, and then apply it to modular mechs. But instead, we're balanced into everybody having X DPS and Y health per tier.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 31, 2016, 08:07:37 pm »

Old gun generation system? What changed about gun generation?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 31, 2016, 08:17:29 pm »

I thought there was more variety in earlier builds. I can't say any specifics, so I might be mis-remembering.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 31, 2016, 08:57:00 pm »

There was. They cut out pretty much all of that and slapped on about ten or twelve special attacks instead. Used to be you could get guns that fired two or three split shots, bouncy shots, timed mine bullets, explosive bullets, all sorts of shit. Now it's just plain bullets. Rarely you might get one with bouncy bullets on the secondary fire, but mostly those are just flashlights, a second shot, or shooting slightly faster.

The bomb-bullet shotguns were great fun. So were the bouncy snipers. Tons of good stuff. All gone now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 31, 2016, 09:05:42 pm »

Right now I'd say its...ok. The guns certainly have gotten worse.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 31, 2016, 09:13:35 pm »

I have a hoverbike and haven't been having any problems with it. Sure, damage is inavoidable, but it's cheap to repair and the hoverbike has enough health to not instantly get destroyed. Manuevering is really easy as well. I've been able to easily scale cliffs going straight up thanks to my hoverbike.

What kind of things do they even get stuck on, anyways?

I can do the SKyrim-style mountain climbing fairly well but they seem just as likely to get caught flipped on the nose against a rock formation or caught in an overhang where I have to get out and resummon it.

They also move fast enough that the world just refuses to load for me a lot of the time, so there's that too.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:07 pm »

Oh. Yeah. The world not loading is a problem. But even with that I find the hover bike to be pretty useful.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 31, 2016, 10:46:58 pm »

There was. They cut out pretty much all of that and slapped on about ten or twelve special attacks instead. Used to be you could get guns that fired two or three split shots, bouncy shots, timed mine bullets, explosive bullets, all sorts of shit. Now it's just plain bullets. Rarely you might get one with bouncy bullets on the secondary fire, but mostly those are just flashlights, a second shot, or shooting slightly faster.

The bomb-bullet shotguns were great fun. So were the bouncy snipers. Tons of good stuff. All gone now.
Oh yeah, back during earlier builds when it wasn't crashing on me I had fun collecting different sorts of guns. Almost felt like I was an intergalactic arms dealer or some such. My personal favorite was a grenade launcher which, despite supposedly being fit for low-level enemies, was unbalanced enough for me to utterly slaughter the heavily-armed staff of an Apex compound.

Right now I'd say its...ok. The guns certainly have gotten worse.
Considering the above, that is an understatement.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 01, 2016, 12:17:42 am »

Not only have the guns gotten worse, you can't even flipping craft any if you don't play a novakid! I mean... what exactly am I supposed to do, throw rocks at people?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 01, 2016, 12:27:26 am »

No, you admit defeat at the hands of the subjectively best race. :P
Black lives matter.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 01, 2016, 12:40:14 am »

Weren't hunting spears a thing? Powerful, inexplicably one-handed, relatively easy to make.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 01, 2016, 01:41:29 am »

Weren't hunting spears a thing? Powerful, inexplicably one-handed, relatively easy to make.

There's still hunting spears (throwing spears) available very very early. like, logs and cobblestone early.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 130