Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 437190 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe/Rampaging Koala
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 12:13:12 am »

Posting to watch.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 03:16:09 am »

Gonna ptw so I xan remember that this game exists, and in the eventuality that a new version is actually released.
The release date for the next stable version is allegedly January.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 03:18:49 am »

Posting to watch this new and updated thread.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 04:07:04 am »

Unstable is pretty darned stable, from my experiences thus far. Unless they intend to add a substantial amount of new content between now and then, and you'd rather not spoil the experience, I'd jump right in.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 04:40:17 am »

Good to see an updated thread. OP, if you are going to keep it updated maybe you should add the dates of the last stable/unstable releases somewhere in the first post. It would help some people to track game's progress, and unless they start making very fast updates (ha) its not much extra work for you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 05:26:26 am »

PTW :D

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 09:22:45 am »

I'll accept new thread if there are going to be more frequent updates.
With the way they've split up the update cycle, if you're watching the nightlies, there are updates frequently, but these are often "shoehorned in item/quest/thing X, but it violates game integrity occasionally". Stable hasn't seen an update in a few months, IIRC, simply because they've focused on "get it built, stabilize later" to get content into the game in the nightlies instead of the initial "stabilize as you go" model they had when it broke savegames early on for several people (lots of hotfixes, unhappy players, etc). Basically, if you want the latest and greatest (nightlies) you're buying into the "releases may break your save games and you should expect to dev-console regularly to work around things as/when they break" - a real QA alpha experience. Stable is where things get pushed to in big lumps after they've been shown not to eat your savegames, and the release in January is a release to Stable, not the nightlies/unstable builds. Chucklefish have taken a lot of flack historically over 'not updating, game going nowhere', but in my eyes, their current method is better - they aren't breaking savegame compatibility routinely for players in the Stable branch, for one.

I'd suggest the thread should probably track the Stable releases, as features in the nightlies aren't even guaranteed to get into the game at all, let alone in whatever form they might take initially. You're basically alpha testing in the nightlies. It's a tradeoff I'm happy with. Those folks who demand rapid update frequency can subscribe to the nightlies and take their chances that their saves might be corrupted, quests may be broken and that game reality itself may not be reliable from day-to-day as payment for the privilege: Win-Win.

I have a question for you guys, is this game mean to be played multiplayer or singleplayer? The fact that there are story quests suggest that singleplayer is intended to be the primary focus, whereas Terraria seemed to be more multiplayer friendly. I've never played multiplayer Starbound.
Both. Like Terraria, there's a drop-in/drop-out multiplayer. I would assume that quests are for individuals, not for the server, but I do not know how they have implemented this as I have studiously avoided watching the nightlies since I 'unsubbed' from trying to play until there was a major update/stabilization release.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 09:28:49 am »

You neglect to mention the Unstable builds, which as I understand it are an accumulation of nightlies with some of the bugs hammered out. I haven't encountered a single notable bug in the fifteen hours I've been playing the recent unstable release.

It's a nice middle ground, and again, I'd recommend it.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 09:51:14 am »

You neglect to mention the Unstable builds, which as I understand it are an accumulation of nightlies with some of the bugs hammered out. I haven't encountered a single notable bug in the fifteen hours I've been playing the recent unstable release.

It's a nice middle ground, and again, I'd recommend it.
Well, I mentioned them (I checked!) but I was not sure to what degree they're less buggy than the nightlies. :)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 10:12:12 am »

ptw
Black lives matter.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 10:39:18 am »

PTW then

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 10:51:14 am »

The quests are all individual, but there's nothing stopping you from helping one another with them.
The actual instanced ones are absolutely great too (well, one, I think there's just the one at the moment) Was running it with the mate I play with, I ended up tanking up front while he provided covering fire from behind, the atmosphere of the place was just fantastic, and I found a grenade launcher, which is always nice.

Right now I'm mostly just waiting for mods to update, looking forward to returning to the 256 storage space shipping container, with another mod allowing it to retain its inventory when picked up.

And using the absurdly large bulldozer to harvest the huge treefarm so we can process the saplings into biofuel and the wood into charcoal.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:52:46 am by The Darkling Wolf »
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 10:58:41 am »

Still waiting for a more final version.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 11:00:58 am »

Not a terrible idea either, although from playing so far I'm liking the direction the game is going in much more than before. The tier advancement seems infinitely less arbitrary, and they've removed the obscene pixel cost from most things, so you no longer have to spend three hours grinding to make yourself a pointy stick and some hemp pants.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 01:51:23 pm »

I just had a DF-like moment. I have dug myself out a nice little hold in the ground, which is just a sort of earth-sheltered room with a door. However, I looked away from the game while it was raining to find a fairly sizable pool of water against my door. So either I ran into a bug or I'm going to need to think of drainage solutions. Which is really cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 130