Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 437320 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1920 on: September 15, 2017, 10:49:07 am »

downloaded the last version to see if i could play this from an USB. it works even in the college PCs. the problem i find is that the game freezes from time to time making gameplay incredible slow. i dont get low FPS so its mostly a CPU leak or something. havent tested if moving the folder to the PC would solve it, but it seems its a recurring problem that hasnt been fixed.

has anyone here had the same issue?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 18, 2017, 10:48:15 am »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: September 18, 2017, 11:32:47 pm »

downloaded the last version to see if i could play this from an USB. it works even in the college PCs. the problem i find is that the game freezes from time to time making gameplay incredible slow. i dont get low FPS so its mostly a CPU leak or something. havent tested if moving the folder to the PC would solve it, but it seems its a recurring problem that hasnt been fixed.

has anyone here had the same issue?

Might have to do wit R/W speed from the USB. That can be a bottleneck for a lot of games run that way.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: January 09, 2018, 03:52:21 pm »

If there's enough demand for a server, I'd consider running one. I've got some hardware arriving soon and I'm not sure what to do with it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: April 20, 2018, 07:55:37 am »

I guess there wasn't enough demand for a server, which is a shame, because I was hoping to play with somebody.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: June 14, 2019, 10:19:16 pm »

Haven't played it myself, but there's a new major update out.
1.4, the "bounty hunter update" which seems to be 80's themed to some degree along with the aforementioned bounty hunter stuff and other new things.

They talk about procedurally generated quests to hunt down criminal gangs, new "peacekeeper stations" where you can "work your way through promotions and restore law in the universe". There are criminal gang hideout "microdungeons" and there's a final mission+boss for the bounty hunter thing.
New music, and rare elemental variants of monsters that are capturable. Along with some new furniture sets, weapons, mech parts, augments, armor, etc. etc..
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: June 16, 2019, 04:06:54 am »

For those that may think it's an odd coincidence with the Terraria update, Starbound devs had the 1.4 ready to release a year ago, but put it on hold because it "did not meet their standards" at the time.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: June 16, 2019, 10:07:56 am »

For those that may think it's an odd coincidence with the Terraria update, Starbound devs had the 1.4 ready to release a year ago, but put it on hold because it "did not meet their standards" at the time.

pretty much. Re-Logic was originally going to release Terraria 1.3.6 as the next patch but it seems the update grew a lot in regards of content and changes so it was essentially another big patch like 1.2 or 1.3, Chucklefish on the other hand had Starbound 1.4 in the roadmap already and was working on it shortly after the Mech Update.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: June 16, 2019, 10:33:30 am »

Just played the new update for ~4 hours.

It's fun, and the retro 80's police drama in SPEHS vibes are definitely there. I mean, the soundtracks are full on electro/club/techno remixes of already existing songs, like the one used for investigations is Grand Pagoda, but electronic! Have one example!

You register via a Peacekeeper's poster in the Outpost, then go to the station coordinates you are given, and talk with spiffy police Peacekeepers Officer Noble (a Novakid with eyepatch). Via bulletin board on the station, you can grab sidequests to hunt down criminals and mutant beasts.

You hop around the systems, knocking down members of a gang before going after their leader in a stronghold (non-procedurally created this time).

Once down, you hop to another police Peacekeepers station. There's a bookmark button for Peacekeepers, allowing you to quickly find and navigate to it on the starmap.

Each new busted gang gives you access to improved station, which includes an expanding vendor from lvl2 onwards. It sells riot gear, pistols, and the like, with some fancy clothes included, and some other gadgets, like mining drones.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:39:05 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: June 22, 2019, 03:32:52 pm »

Weird to say but the Synthcop update made me and my gf go back to Starbound after 2 years forgetting about it. All it takes me to take a game seriously is adding Synthwave music and Tron-esque stuff, really.

We had good fun, even though we started with about 10 QoL mods from the get-go in order to keep the flow, but nothing that messes with balance or content.
Since it seems they are finally done with all the reworks and rebalancing and stuff like that, I can say it feels fine, even though it's very easy to deal with any bosses once you've hit the last armor tier..which is not really difficult to do.

What's interesting to me though is that with all the additions, there's plenty of things to do to keep you going without getting completely bored or annoyed - which was my problem back when the only real goal you'd have was to scan all the racial stuff in order to progress with the main quest. Quests, sidequests, building a settlement, upgrading the mech, farming it up, crewing and upgrading the ship, doing this and that, and now the Bounty Missions that progress along the Star tiers can help new characters keep a good flow while doing a bunch of different activities.
I still don't think I'd survive playing Vanilla Starbound with no co-op partners though.
In any case, it's weird to say after bashing the game for years, it didn't achieve whatever The Hype wanted out of it (and it never would), but it's a good game for it's price and it's also cute as fuck. Also as someone helping with fluff-and-stuff on a game project, it's kinda hilarious the amount of text and graphical work put into it. That bit we've all known and praised for long, though.

Of course, the SpacePolice missions can get repetitive after a quick while, and also a bit weird that it's a singleplayer thing (Police Stations are single-player instances that offer different Bounties for each player), but I truly appreciate such effort in a free patch that actually makes the game more meaty.

Due to the Hoverbikes still being useless and shameful, I added the amazing Customizable Shuttlecraft mod, and accidentally created the hardest boss in the game: I landed my well-armed Shuttlecraft (that had terrain-killing bombs and missiles in it) near an enemy NPC, only to discover they can GTA it if you leave the pilot seat. Thankfully he was nowhere near our base, but it was more intense and caused more deaths than probably all the vanilla bosses combined, and I don't even think it's intended behavior by the mod author (probably just a consequence of all the mods' features) - :

Once we were done with the main story, we've of course added Frackin' Universe for the first time and we are now bashing our heads against it on this beautiful gift to the modding world. It hated that we didn't delete our Characters or Universe saves, but nothing a few bashing and admin commands can't fix. Overall tho, good times.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: June 23, 2019, 01:03:24 pm »

Yeah, Starbound is almost unplayable without Frackin' Universe. It just adds so much content and cohesion and gives you reasons to do stuff the vanilla game sort of let slide. I recommend co-opting an existing dungeon for a base and adding onto it, though. You end up needing a lot more space than even the Science Lab makes it look like.

Item networks are a godsend.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: June 23, 2019, 06:28:48 pm »

The new update does look tempting, and I'm getting a bit tired of Terraria for my 2D-blockbuilding fun. Might go back to my first save, last thing I had attempted to do there was convert a barren world into a hive world. See how many NPCs a planet can support and whatnot. Got as far as leveling the entire planet(the entire, wraparound map being equal height) before agonizing over which block I should use as the bottom-most layer, and what to put on top of that. I was thinking a "sewer", a long low tunnel spanning the map with drains every so often to remove any errant liquids.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 15, 2019, 09:40:29 am »

I didn't get very far in the bounty hunter thing but the beginning just seemed kinda... "eh..." Go somewhere. Find the dude/critter. Kill it or let it go. I know you eventually get to expand the peacekeeper station but I'm not really sure what that'd add that a normal colony wouldn't.

I trashed that character and installed many gigs of mods. The peacekeeper computer is broken now but I don't think I'm missing too much. Considered setting up a server for people to tool around on but I know how those things generally go.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:43:54 am by Mephisto »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 15, 2019, 10:02:47 am »

I don't know how good the curation is (given the whole Peacekeeper thing being broken, but mod users on Reddit are talking about that so maybe it's an issue with mods in general) but here's the aptly-named Overly Complex Assortment of Mods that I'm using. I've also got "scientific planet descriptions", "disabled drop for survival mode", and "illuminated ores - original version".

It contains entirely too many new races, most of which are furry in some capacity. There's lots of dungeony things on every single planet, though. You win some, you lose some.

Some aspects are slightly buggy. I had to reload my save to become an "authorized user" during the mech tutorial. When beaming up and then back down, I  lost my intro quest progress until I broke the workbench it told me to make. Then it fixed itself.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:00:37 pm by Mephisto »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 15, 2019, 02:50:06 pm »

I've made a small Collection on Steam so I could quickly share mods with my gf. Differently than other games, on Starbound I opted for only using mods that caused zero issues (I feel bad when my gf looks dying inside while I debug our Minecraft servers for hours, so wanted SB to be simple).
The only one that I wanted to include was Enhanced Storage but it nearly destroyed our saves twice, so I gave up.

It's all QoL and Frackin Universe, gave me more stuff to do than I had time to do it - I took a break after we got halfway through it I think.

And looking at the huge modlist from Mephisto, that looks crazy - even crazier to think what happens if you add it on top of FU!  :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:55:10 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130