Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130]

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 436714 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1935 on: August 18, 2019, 01:59:37 pm »

Hearing that this is actually playable now, installed it (for the first time) with FU.
First impression - too much food. Is there at least minecraft level of food "troubles" at any point?
Second impression - Too. Much. Stuff. Were they trying to get every weapon known to man in every metal variation in the game, or somewhat? Rest is also incredibly confusing in it's... overabundance. From the quick glance, it may be as X-piratez, if not worse. "Insanity" counter next to "Research" counter is intriguing, though. Anything interesting?
Third impression - WTF. Milled 3 wheat with hand mill, got 12 research and 3 phosphor. Where's my flour!?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:50:49 pm by MCreeper »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 18, 2019, 03:43:29 pm »

Hearing that this is actually playable now, installed it (for the first time) with FU.
First impression - too much food. Is there at least minecraft level of food "troubles" at any point?
There barely are any minecraft food troubles anymore. It's easy as pie to cook seaweed.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 18, 2019, 07:43:19 pm »

With FU, food's pretty easy, yeah. Enough that it's frankly more of a pain in the ass busywork thing than something even remotely interesting. Was tooling around with FU a few weeks back, and after being persistently irritated by the food clock shite for a while I made a new character on... whatever the mode is where you don't have to eat... and never looked back. Massive quality of life improvement, ha.

Incidentally, unless it was some other mod I had running that let me do it, there's this thing for shuttlecraft that lets you replace your mech with the craft. Huge benefit, since mech-shuttle replacement costs nothing and uses no fuel. Makes mech stuff also far, far less of a PitA.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 29, 2019, 10:22:54 am »

So this is interesting news.

Apparently while chucklefish was memeing and dunking on customers, they were powering themselves off the backs of unpaid workers.

As much as I enjoy the game, chucklefish continues to show it's full of terrible people and right when I was staring to think "hey maybe they're gotten their shit together".
I can only hope they've kept a professional distance from ConcernedApe's work on Stardew Valley.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 29, 2019, 10:35:39 am »

So this is interesting news.

Apparently while chucklefish was memeing and dunking on customers, they were powering themselves off the backs of unpaid workers.

As much as I enjoy the game, chucklefish continues to show it's full of terrible people and right when I was staring to think "hey maybe they're gotten their shit together".
I can only hope they've kept a professional distance from ConcernedApe's work on Stardew Valley.

I remember something similar coming up in discussion a few years ago before I got permabanned from their Steam forums for "abusing the report function"...IE reporting their fanboys for flaming, baiting, derailing, and doxxing others.  This company has always been a crapshow company full of horrible people.  To make it worse, they used early access funds that were specifically for Starbound's development to instead set themselves up as an indie publisher instead.

IIRC the guy who makes Stardew Valley separated from Chucklefish as a publisher

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: August 30, 2019, 03:15:01 pm »

Yeah, this is the least surprising news if you followed their development at all closely during the KS/pre-alpha/alpha period. This company's always been a dumpster fire. Seems like even most of their major contributors (including Bartwe, the main programmer in the early days) all were exploited/abused in some way. Shame, but the game's not even that good after all these years, so it's not a loss in the slightest to excise it from my steam library.

Also yeah, ConcernedApe is self-publishing now. He has no ties to ChuckleFish anymore.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 03:16:48 pm by Glloyd »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 30, 2019, 10:54:29 pm »

I wonder if Radical Fish Games (the makers of CrossCode) are getting flak from the two studios having similar names lmao
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 31, 2019, 01:11:50 am »

I wonder if Radical Fish Games (the makers of CrossCode) are getting flak from the two studios having similar names lmao

I hope not; CrossCode's fantastic, if you're into the puzzle-ness of it.

For somebody who didn't follow the Chucklefish drama recently discussed, pretty much all the negativity is tied to just them (and presumably the things they're developing themselves), not any of the games they've published, right?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 31, 2019, 07:18:36 am »

Sorta' seems like it. That said, I wouldn't read to much either way into that. For the last while we've been increasingly finding that worker conditions in general in the gaming industry are pretty consistently and seriously shit. Serious exploitation or abuse of workers is apparently kinda' fucking common.
Ask not!
Ask!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: August 31, 2019, 07:41:05 am »

Finally found a way to make beeg images. So here's the house I've made over the months!

CHATEAU d'ABYSS

With mandatory slime pit, dungeon for henchmen, bonesmith services, secret rooms, spooky clock tower, creepy statues and edgy gothic mistress bedroom.

SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: August 31, 2019, 06:09:38 pm »

That base looks awesome.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: August 31, 2019, 08:35:34 pm »

Sorta' seems like it. That said, I wouldn't read to much either way into that. For the last while we've been increasingly finding that worker conditions in general in the gaming industry are pretty consistently and seriously shit. Serious exploitation or abuse of workers is apparently kinda' fucking common.

Still not something we should support. And the thing that sets Starbound apart is that the people being exploited included 15/16 year olds who didn't know any better. Also alleged sexual harassment and general creepiness towards women.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: August 31, 2019, 09:06:43 pm »

Didn't say anything about support. Just that direct association shouldn't sway you either way.

Also, from what I've been noticing from chatter lately, that doesn't actually set starbound apart, like. At all. Especially the latter. Some of the shit coming out is pretty crazy, honestly.*

*Iirc the rough details of an example, one of the major music critters that worked on elder scrolls stuff apparently not just raped people, but did it specifically for inspiration in the creative process, ferex.
Ask not!
Ask!

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: September 01, 2019, 09:41:36 am »

I mean, I suppose this is a good way of looking at it when you want to defend something you enjoy but at least all those workers in those bad conditions we heard about were still getting paid, just being overworked to meet deadlines.  It's like comparing apples to a-holes.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 02, 2019, 01:48:56 pm »

This company's always been a dumpster fire.

I just read a bit about it and it's definitely the dumpster fire that keeps on giving.

Also yeah, ConcernedApe is self-publishing now. He has no ties to ChuckleFish anymore.

I can't express how happy I hear to hear that - I've absolutely hated when I discovered they were the publishers for Stardew Valley. That dude definitely should not under any circumstance get even close to that name.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130]