Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 437307 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Burn, baby, burn
« Reply #765 on: February 04, 2016, 02:56:30 pm »

That being said, anyone feeling dispassionate enough to give me a straight answer on the mods thing?

I looked through the previous replies. What's up?
So, I've come around to wanting to play this again, but I neither want to have to deal with all the missions again, nor want to revert to an earlier version that doesn't have much content. So, does anyone know any good mods that overhaul progression to be more freeform?

I think the "best" way is just to spawn the required mission items using the console.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #766 on: February 04, 2016, 03:45:19 pm »

Yeah. Even though one must be careful with the hype, I still think NMS will be a blast. I'm pretty sure in 1 hour you'll have as much action and epic moments as you'd have in ~6h of Elite Dangerous.
I could be entirely wrong, though..since I missed my predictions pretty badly with Spore.

Though I think I should clarify that I didn't mean NMS will replace Starbound or something. NMS won't have sandbox features, even though it would the game I always wanted if it had  :'( :'(.
I just meant that a game that started development after SB (IIRC NMS started late 2012) with a huge scale will be finished way before it leaves beta.
To be honest, Elite: Dangerous But I Can Fuck About On Foot is exactly what I want from a Sci-Fi game. Elite still kind of scratches my itch, though.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 04, 2016, 03:55:32 pm »

Things No Man's Sky has that Starbound does not:

- 3D
- A special thing in the center of the galaxy

Things Starbound has that No Man's Sky does not:

- Crafting
- Building
- Mods

Clearly this is an overwhelming victory for Starbound. If you think Starbound is unimpressive, why do you expect No Man's Sky to be better? Seriously, what are you even supposed to do in No Man's Sky? Is there anything in the game that is worth spending more than three hours on? How long will it take until you lose interest of a new planet after ten seconds of being there? How long did it take you in Starbound, and why?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 04, 2016, 04:11:53 pm »

There's crafting in No man's sky. And weird unique lifeforms, a proper codex, and also a ship I actually get to fly. Not sure if there's building, but I never did a whole lot of it in Starbound to my dismay. Usually just felt like a waste of time and resources.

And mods don't mean a game is better. It means it has a community. Skyrim doesn't get to be called 'A fantastic game' just because it has mods that make it the game it should be.
Starbound's planets felt samey and, while I loved finding new creatures, they sort of blended together quickly. That and the grind to get out of your starting solar system was made too long in my opinion.

I never found Starbound unimpressive, I found it lacking. I feel like Starbound needs much more work before it'll be the game I wanted.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:12 pm »

I have to agree with Magma: No Man's Sky is for the time being only a good-looking procedurally-generated space exploration game. The only couple of gameplay trailers I've seen don't hint at a gameplay-rich game. I fear it has been over-hyped.

Starbound is definitely not as good as Terraria, but it's getting there slowly. I try to avoid the drama surrounding it, as I'm trying to not base my perception and appreciation of a game based on IRL drama.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 04, 2016, 05:15:56 pm »

I liked the style of the gigantic space battles fight. Very Episode III
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 04, 2016, 05:26:21 pm »

Things No Man's Sky has that Starbound does not:

- 3D
- A special thing in the center of the galaxy

Things Starbound has that No Man's Sky does not:

- Crafting
- Building
- Mods

Clearly this is an overwhelming victory for Starbound. If you think Starbound is unimpressive, why do you expect No Man's Sky to be better? Seriously, what are you even supposed to do in No Man's Sky? Is there anything in the game that is worth spending more than three hours on? How long will it take until you lose interest of a new planet after ten seconds of being there? How long did it take you in Starbound, and why?

You clearly missed the point of what I said even with my clarification. Well done.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 04, 2016, 08:14:14 pm »

You clearly missed the point of what I said even with my clarification. Well done.
Actually I wasn't replying to you, I just saw talk of No Man's Sky in this thread and wanted to throw my opinion into the fray.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 04, 2016, 10:53:49 pm »

I have to agree with Magma: No Man's Sky is for the time being only a good-looking procedurally-generated space exploration game. The only couple of gameplay trailers I've seen don't hint at a gameplay-rich game. I fear it has been over-hyped.

Starbound is definitely not as good as Terraria, but it's getting there slowly. I try to avoid the drama surrounding it, as I'm trying to not base my perception and appreciation of a game based on IRL drama.

Say what you want about Star Citizen but, it is certainly picked apart by enough naysayers to have any amount of hype, unlike NMS in which hype is essentially the most tangible, concrete aspect of the thing.

That second part of your post made me cringe, I pray Starbound is never "as good" as Terraria. I own two copies of that game and yet, I could only stomach less than 20 hours. if Starbound ever becomes "as good" as Terraria, I'm going to have to go back and un-play 980 hours of it. People obviously love Terraria but, I don't get the appeal, it's like some disparate mish-mosh of features half-remembered from a secondhand account of a 90's video game nostalgia induced fever dream clumped together by a very same-y procedural generated world and eldricth horrors, because Lovecraft. FYI: eldritch horrors are just hipster zombies dressed in a guise of flimsy literary esotericism sewn out of pretentious, pseudo-intellectual elitism. Enough with them already!
*Eyes Starbound incriminatingly*

Starbound is certainly incomplete but, can we stop pretending Terraria is some sort of Holy Grail? !!!OPINIONS!!!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 04, 2016, 11:26:05 pm »

-snip-

+1

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 05, 2016, 02:27:01 am »

-snip-

+1

I have to say, I share this sentiment. Starbound was something of a letdown, and the seeming lack of initiative and will to commit to something by the devs has turned off my interest for the past year, but it does have a solid theme, if, presently, an absence of content and direction.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 05, 2016, 03:15:55 am »

I dunno I feel it has a very solid direction.

It just isn't the direction, well, you or many others want it to take so they assume it can't be going there.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 05, 2016, 04:30:00 pm »

Isn't No Man's Sky basically just Subnautica in space? I think its main purpose is to enjoy a cool environment in VR. It's aimed as much at the dad that buys really expensive TVs than the typical teen/early 20s gamer in a dark basement. Because the video gaming demographic is sliding from the latter of those to the former as time passes.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 05, 2016, 08:46:55 pm »

Say what you want about Star Citizen but, it is certainly picked apart by enough naysayers to have any amount of hype, unlike NMS in which hype is essentially the most tangible, concrete aspect of the thing.

That second part of your post made me cringe, I pray Starbound is never "as good" as Terraria. I own two copies of that game and yet, I could only stomach less than 20 hours. if Starbound ever becomes "as good" as Terraria, I'm going to have to go back and un-play 980 hours of it. People obviously love Terraria but, I don't get the appeal, it's like some disparate mish-mosh of features half-remembered from a secondhand account of a 90's video game nostalgia induced fever dream clumped together by a very same-y procedural generated world and eldricth horrors, because Lovecraft. FYI: eldritch horrors are just hipster zombies dressed in a guise of flimsy literary esotericism sewn out of pretentious, pseudo-intellectual elitism. Enough with them already!
*Eyes Starbound incriminatingly*

Starbound is certainly incomplete but, can we stop pretending Terraria is some sort of Holy Grail? !!!OPINIONS!!!
I understand your point of view. Starbound is "Terraria in Space", so I definitely hope that SB will only keep the best of Terraria and acquire a unique direction. And I think, maybe wrongly worded, that "it's getting there".
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 05, 2016, 09:24:28 pm »

Except it isn't. Starbound got fucked up something hard, they destroyed everything that was fun about Terraria (Metroidvania platforming and fighting, worlds which grew to have distinct character, nonlinear progression, easy multiplayer, real PvP, &c.) without adding anything good. There were plenty of things that could have been good, but CF spent their time trolling the fanbase, adding piecemeal item content, and making existing mechanics worse instead of making a good game. The vast majority of my time with Starbound was only fun because of mods.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 130