Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 436660 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Burn, baby, burn
« Reply #705 on: October 23, 2015, 01:23:23 pm »

They also lost almost everyone doing the actual game mechanics and replaced them with artists. Nothing wrong with artists, but they're not really trained for mechanics and engine work.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:51 pm »

Judging by the stuff already in it, it should really be possible to mod this game into something much cooler than it is. Which is not to say the Devs aren't wrong, but perhaps someone with enough time/effort could take matters into their own hands.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 23, 2015, 02:06:20 pm »

The first thing that would need to be done is the addition of new types of civilized worlds, worlds that are entirely devoted to a single 'race', no monsters appear anywhere, guards and static defenses are present in force, and would need to have absolutely amazing loot tables.  After all, the game already establishes that the player is an outcast (or in the case of the humans, everyone is refugee) so why shouldn't players be able to use that to their advantage?
Next would be the addition of something very much like the (outdated and since the code change apparently very hard to get working) XS mechs mod (and some other vehicles/heavy weapons platforms) so that players would stand a chance of actually surviving an attack on such a world.
You'd probably need some new guard sprites and AI (have them using mechs/vehicles as well) and that would probably do the trick.

If I had the slightest bit of coding/scripting ability, I could probably work it out, but evidently that is beyond my capacities.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 23, 2015, 02:31:33 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if "what hype hypeths hype hypeths away" and if we are all being too nice because we like games and their development too much.

Maybe it's just the belief that the game was going to expand beyond Terraria, beyond the simple monster whack-a-mole and home furnishing simulator. [...]

I agree completely. I probably mentioned this somewhere else, but I have an RL friend who defends Starbound to death (and he's an aspiring artist..and he never plays the game...hm..), and when we played it, I'd randomly get annoyed and say "This is Terraria. Why are we supporting this?", which his reply would always be "They are working on it!"..

This Starbound stuff would get me pissed back then, but now I find it hilarious. And now I understand why. I don't see the project going anywhere, and die hard fans give the devs free pass for the constant Caturday content. Also, this:

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Thanks Flying Dice for almost killing me when I was eating cereal.  :P

Judging by the stuff already in it, it should really be possible to mod this game into something much cooler than it is. Which is not to say the Devs aren't wrong, but perhaps someone with enough time/effort could take matters into their own hands.

I used to think the same thing, then I tried the most popular mods. The best ones would add some vehicles (like a bulldozer for people who hate spending a week digging) and one that was made by a newbie modder, but had "sort of" a research tree. And would unlock some cool little machines like a Hydroponic thing to grow seeds quicker and some stuff like that.

There also was a huge content mod, and even though the good amount of new planet types, resources, armor and gear was added, it was just expanding on the same eternal and ever-present Terraria formula.
So I'm not sure if mods can really "fix" (like Fallout/Skyrim mods than can completely overhaul almost any aspect of the game) or just add things.

I'm still not sure if everyone who expected more (including me) is at fault, or if they actually promised this Not-Terraria-In-Space and didn't deliver.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 23, 2015, 02:44:32 pm »

Honestly they would have been better just removing all of the arbitrary tier gateways. Someone wants to jump straight into super-dangerous worlds right from the start? Sure, go ahead! Want to hang about on starter-tier worlds forever? Equally okay, but don't expect to find much in the way of high-end ores or loot! Also, all players have the same single-player coordinate system like they used to, so that people can share good finds.

Then just tack more interesting content (NFO's point about fully civilized worlds in particular--in the sense of meaningful expansions of the game, not new vanity items and shit) on top of that, paired with improved and more varied AI and weapons. Instead they kept redoing the basic framework of the game over and over, making it worse every time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 23, 2015, 03:12:04 pm »

Fuck.
I liked Starbound. Mostly, because I well and truly believed it'd become something amazing, something I'd genuinely spend my time on. And I got pissy and grumpy when a friend constantly bitched about it. But. But.
I give up. Chucklefish, I like you, you're pretty chill, but this is...Eugh. It needs an overhaul. As in, a complete overhaul of mechanics, etc.

I just wish this could've gone places. Oh well...I'm just gonna wait for No Man's Sky. Maybe someday I'll come back to Starbound but it certainly won't be today.
I also still think Bay12 needs a 'stop watching this thread' button, because I'm also tired of this thread and how much is depresses me. I wanted to love this game SO BADLY.
Hell, you know what? If someone sat down, modded Terraria to high-haven, and made it so I could play Terraria: Space Edition, I bet it'd be better.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #711 on: October 23, 2015, 03:23:58 pm »

If you want to play No Mans' Sky, I recommend taking a look at Space Engineers. Planets are coming out probably within the next month tops, and it's got some amazing ideas...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 23, 2015, 03:33:11 pm »

I have it. I can't run it very well at all, sadly.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 23, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »

Almost made it two months before people decided they need to bitch about starbound again. Just about made me hopeful the thread was updating because of something substantiative or interesting, but no. Same old horse beating. S'like goddamn clockwork. One of these days it'll actually sink in the new button means one of you lot felt like taking a dump on the game for the hundredth time instead of anything about the actual game :-\

Will say, I half agree with you KosS about the thread unwatching, but instead of that it just needs an ignore thread button, that hides threads like you can hide users. I'd like to stop being reminded people can't stop themselves from humping the horse-corpse fleshpile.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 23, 2015, 03:54:21 pm »

If you want to play No Mans' Sky, I recommend taking a look at Space Engineers. Planets are coming out probably within the next month tops, and it's got some amazing ideas...

No Man's Sky and Space Engineers in the same sentence is heresy. Just leaving that reminder.  :P

And hey, what's wrong with kicking a dead dog (in the figurative sense, of course)?
This thread is usually back up exactly when I need it to be - when I'm getting over-hyped and over-supportive for stuff that I shouldn't be.
And it shows an actual interest in good games being made, and good practices being used, instead of just unexplainable hate.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 23, 2015, 04:45:00 pm »

I was disappointed by how much they turned up the microdungeon rate lately. Like, fifty meters from spawn was an abandoned wizard tower. I set up base and started digging and found: an avian temple, a glitch cult tomb (WITHIN SCREEN OF EACH OTHER), an avian mortuary, two identical USCM bases, an apex lab, and an archaelogical dig site.

I only ever liked starbound for going up to steel, ditching the grind, and zooming around trying to find all the stuff. But now everything is everywhere
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 23, 2015, 05:22:19 pm »

The big issue I have with the microdungeons and the dungeons altogether is...

The Mechanics do not support precise plat forming and the platforming is never informed by the mechanics of the game (they aren't spaced the way that a person could comfortably jump in game or where a dash would end).

Thus you have movement mechanics that are clumsy at best and you have platforming that was built for an entirely different game.

Almost made it two months before people decided they need to bitch about starbound again.

Well that is because of the latest updates! the HUGE feature is they added a few extra monsters WOOO!!! and added Plushies you can pay for!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 23, 2015, 06:09:47 pm »

The Mechanics do not support precise plat forming and the platforming is never informed by the mechanics of the game (they aren't spaced the way that a person could comfortably jump in game or where a dash would end).

Thus you have movement mechanics that are clumsy at best and you have platforming that was built for an entirely different game.

The platforming can require some of the perks like bubble jump and such. Nothing wrong with that. It's just not balanced or paced well to mesh all the things together.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: October 23, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »

The platforming can require some of the perks like bubble jump and such. Nothing wrong with that. It's just not balanced or paced well to mesh all the things together.

of course in the microdungeons, dirt suffices just as well as tech boosts
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 23, 2015, 06:46:01 pm »

That's the real problem with this little genre: platformers and hack'n'slash don't work that well when the player has the ability to place their own platforms and walls, never mind being able to cut through the existing environment.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 130