Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 434890 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Burn, baby, burn
« Reply #720 on: October 23, 2015, 08:15:58 pm »

..there's no shield generator thingy in the microdungeons?

EDIT: By that I meant "Shouldn't there be one in microdungeons?"
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:07:36 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 23, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »

I think there is some confusion between the 'microdungeons' that generate on planets, and the 'challenge rooms' which are contained dungeon areas that are protected.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 23, 2015, 09:27:00 pm »

Honestly the real solution is to design the core mechanics in a way which doesn't need to lock out a major element of gameplay in order to function; it's even already been done in several ways in Terraria.

The root of the problems solely focused on the game itself (rather than the dev team) is that there's this obsession with enforcing an orderly, linear, railroaded progression pattern on top of a freeroam creative sandbox.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 25, 2015, 07:04:39 am »

There's a mod which nixes a lot of the recent removals and changes,
community.playstarbound.com/resources/clef-things-to-do-in-starbound.2622/

and adds some fun stuff. Still looking someone to mod power/atmos
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:36:20 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 25, 2015, 12:00:50 pm »

Fitting enough that just as you linked it the author ragequit because of being insulted for daring to revert changes and because of a dispute with other modders.

3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 25, 2015, 01:11:29 pm »

Fitting enough that just as you linked it the author ragequit because of being insulted for daring to revert changes and because of a dispute with other modders.
Insulted by chucklefishies, or by other modders?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #726 on: October 25, 2015, 01:23:49 pm »

The author consistently acted like a douche over Chucklefish developing their game the way they wanted to, and anyone who vaguely in any way disagreed or held their own opinion on the matter was labeled a mindless Chucklefish loving retard, then another author mentioned that maybe he should chill and he flipped his shit, removed compatibility for that other author's mod (a very large mod which many people use, at that) and declared his own mod discontinued.

That's what I've managed to gather of it anyway.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 25, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »

The big issue I have with the microdungeons and the dungeons altogether is...

The Mechanics do not support precise plat forming and the platforming is never informed by the mechanics of the game (they aren't spaced the way that a person could comfortably jump in game or where a dash would end).

Thus you have movement mechanics that are clumsy at best and you have platforming that was built for an entirely different game.

The platforming can require some of the perks like bubble jump and such. Nothing wrong with that. It's just not balanced or paced well to mesh all the things together.

of course in the microdungeons, dirt suffices just as well as tech boosts

Except they are designing them so you cannot create your own platforms until you already have beaten them. Besides "I can just circumvent the clumsy ill-thought challenge by meticulously building platforms" doesn't really compliment the game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 25, 2015, 01:43:11 pm »

The author consistently acted like a douche over Chucklefish developing their game the way they wanted to, and anyone who vaguely in any way disagreed or held their own opinion on the matter was labeled a mindless Chucklefish loving retard, then another author mentioned that maybe he should chill and he flipped his shit, removed compatibility for that other author's mod (a very large mod which many people use, at that) and declared his own mod discontinued.

That's what I've managed to gather of it anyway.

He also later restored compatibility and said that he'd come back from time to time to keep his mod updated, which runs counter to that narrative.

3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 26, 2016, 04:49:29 pm »

So, I've come around to wanting to play this again, but I neither want to have to deal with all the missions again, nor want to revert to an earlier version that doesn't have much content. So, does anyone know any good mods that overhaul progression to be more freeform?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 26, 2016, 05:19:10 pm »

So, I've come around to wanting to play this again, but I neither want to have to deal with all the missions again, nor want to revert to an earlier version that doesn't have much content. So, does anyone know any good mods that overhaul progression to be more freeform?

I think the "best" way is just to spawn the required mission items using the console.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 26, 2016, 11:01:11 pm »

So last time I played this you had to beat up a space penguin to get to more awesomer planets. And apparently I come back right after it went back to npcs hitting on contact. Hoooo boy did I miss a lot.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 26, 2016, 11:10:47 pm »

The enemies going back to hitting on contact just ruined the game for me. I was so excited when the enemies had to attack to hurt you. Finally, Starbound combat actually felt different! And fun! I got to use my techs, guns, and weapons to actually fight the enemy instead of having to stand on a ledge and shoot them, or stand in one location and swing my sword!

But then the so-called "Combat update" removed that and ruined combat for me. Really, I can't play any more without that one feature.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 27, 2016, 12:26:39 am »

There's been at least one mod on that topic: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/remove-touch-damage.3308/

But I honestly haven't tried it as I haven't played much as of late (just keep an eye on the mods from time to time), so not sure if it works what with most reviews saying 'works' and one saying 'DOES NOT WORK'.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 27, 2016, 02:45:06 am »

I almost believed they could pull it off, but Starbound is a great example of a game lacking a designers touch. Perhaps this perception is because of the visible development, but I truly think if they had set more reasonable goals and followed through with them they would have made something more. . . worthwhile than what we have now. Half of me thinks they just overshot their ability as programmers, so egged on by the enthusiasm of early access that their judgement became clouded. The other half just considers that they never had a clear idea of what might make Starbound fun and were just making a rather iffy 2-d platformer wear an attractive 'costume,' so to speak. It was a god damn enticing costume, what with random generation, cute graphics and the yet-to-be-realized promise of both a sense of progression and a sense of open-world exploration / settlement.

Somehow Terraria remains more fun, despite every part of my inner child saying otherwise (spaceguns! farming! adventure! what's not to love!).
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 130