Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441173 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1185 on: July 28, 2016, 05:18:40 pm »

You know, I want to say that Flying Dice is just talking out of their ass. But when it comes to sane game design...well, that's about a third of the reason why Chucklefuck got their nickname, the other two thirds being they handle their forum community even worse.

I genuinely would not be surprised by something that moronic.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: July 28, 2016, 07:04:48 pm »

It was clearly a joke. I don't think we can handle shit like humor here anymore, though.

You can uncheck using steam's friends list for multiplayer, it's right there in the options menu.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: July 28, 2016, 07:47:41 pm »

It was clearly a joke. I don't think we can handle shit like humor here anymore, though.

Granted, as much of a clever jest that was, it does indeed sound like something they'd do. :V

Now Toady must censor the fuck out of this thread lest CF get any ideas.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: July 28, 2016, 07:52:47 pm »

You can uncheck using steam's friends list for multiplayer, it's right there in the options menu.
What is joke. We have no jokes here. All serious all the time.

Not sure if people in this thread are just really credulous or if the perception of the development decision-making process at Clusterfuck Games is really that skewed towards random divergence in poorly conceived directions.

--

See, that's my deal. As it stands right now, Starbound is generally okay-ish. Some shit's worse than Terraria (the multiplayer, the controls, the variance in weapons/armor), some's better (not being leashed to the same handful of environments forever, looser difficulty-progression relationship, more stuff, instruments).

But it wasn't released as version 1.0. It's like an abusive spouse getting therapy--sure, they're treating you okay now, but you damn well remember how it used to be. Not to indulge in hyperbole or anything, no sir.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: July 28, 2016, 08:14:45 pm »

I think Starbound is a great game right now.

But don't forget; back in 2014, they were aiming for 1.0 by the end of the year. I"m glad they finally made it; for the $15 I spent on it now, but hot damn.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: July 28, 2016, 08:21:08 pm »

Yeah, Starbound as it stands today is...Well, it's alright. It's no instant classic, at least not right now, but I don't really regret buying it either. The game prior to the newer versions, however, really was pretty bad. I think there's still a long way to go before I would really consider the game great, but you know what? It's got potential and I think they might end up following through on it before too long. Their management definitelyneeds to improve before then, though.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: July 28, 2016, 08:23:53 pm »

My opinion is probably in between. Maybe some more updates to improve things, but at the base of things, I think it's somewhat nice.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: July 28, 2016, 08:26:44 pm »

More like they need to chain all of the non-coder staff to their desks, block their access to the forums and social media, and only feed them when they work on what they're supposed to be working on. :V

3. Run Resize Enable

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: July 28, 2016, 08:38:38 pm »

Granted, even this version retains some fundamental fuckups that have been around since the old days, plus new ones unique to recent versions. Then again, I might consider that worse than Chucklefish's shit attitude simply because I've only been exposed to the gameplay, not the forums.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: July 28, 2016, 08:39:34 pm »

I don't think anything's really changed from the many times I've (and many other people have) said their management style is complete shit. Their community relations are even worse.

But at this point it's $15 I spent several years ago and I just got a pretty decent game out of it, without even touching mods. So... I guess the dead horse has been beaten into glue already. I'm interested to see what kind of support they offer the game at this stage, if they're even trying to learn their lesson or not.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1195 on: July 28, 2016, 10:15:24 pm »

As someone who didn't really follow the drama, game was fun if a bit shallow. I'm pretty much done with it now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: July 28, 2016, 10:22:31 pm »

As someone who didn't really follow the drama, game was fun if a bit shallow. I'm pretty much done with it now

Yeah... the new release vastly improved the early game, decreased the grind, added the much needed dungeons (of VERY VERY all over the place difficulty)

But once you are in the middle of the game... you pretty much beat the game as far as content is concerned.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: July 29, 2016, 12:00:41 am »

Actually, it feels like they stripped out a lot of dungeon-type content. Most of the racial dungeons that were previously hostile are now friendly and you can't just start things up by shooting them since they're immune to your damage. The challenge doors are a welcome addition, but they're a) really rare, apparently, and b) wildly divergent in difficulty between the vast majority which are a simple "do you have the three basic techs y/n and can you complete easy platforming challenges/have you built a grappling hook" and the few which are ten thousand dudes all shooting at you at once.

I think I've found a grand total of two hostile settlements, out of something like fifteen or twenty total (not counting the little stuff that's just one or two people in huts).

3. Run Resize Enable

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: July 29, 2016, 12:20:17 am »

Christ you're lucky I've found one hostile settlement and an ungodly number of Floran towns and jack shit for dungeons that aren't sewers.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: July 29, 2016, 02:00:00 am »

Speaking of dungeons, is there any specific biome I should look in for human bunkers? I haven't found any so far and I really need some more human furniture for colony stuff.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 130