Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441133 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1380 on: August 04, 2016, 05:25:05 am »

Reading the Endless Sky thread made me think id probably enjoy this.  But I hear it has changed much since early releases?

Tell me:

Is there still sandbox exploration and construction? Or are features locked up behind boss fights?

Can I just farff around exploring worlds, or is it a linear sort of game?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1381 on: August 04, 2016, 05:43:38 am »

Reading the Endless Sky thread made me think id probably enjoy this.  But I hear it has changed much since early releases?

Tell me:

Is there still sandbox exploration and construction? Or are features locked up behind boss fights?

Can I just farff around exploring worlds, or is it a linear sort of game?

At the start, you're stuck on one world until you can scrape your resources together and beat a dungeon which most people find to be far too difficult. Until you do that, you're stuck on the starting planet. However, after that you're free, and if you hate the mission as much as I do, you can very easily cheat your way through it and get to the sandbox. Then there is tech progression which allows you to visit more and more types of planets, and there is a storyline with quests and missions, but once you get past that first one you can certainly farff about exploring worlds after that (my favorite part!).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1382 on: August 04, 2016, 06:14:13 am »

I beat it using only a shotgun I found inside the dungeon itself. I went there immediately after activating the teleporter to the hub world

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 04, 2016, 07:10:07 am »

To make it a bit easier remember that you can unlock the double jump tech fairly early. I remember having difficulty with my dungeon the first time around too, but nothing some healing salve couldn't carry me through.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1384 on: August 04, 2016, 07:26:07 am »

To make it a bit easier remember that you can unlock the double jump tech fairly early. I remember having difficulty with my dungeon the first time around too, but nothing some healing salve couldn't carry me through.
Yeah double jump would have made it much easier. I didn't even know about the tech stuff when I did it. Did dreadwing right after that, though for dreadwing I did have one buddy with me to help.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 04, 2016, 09:01:06 am »

I think I was able to get all of those upgrades between leaving the first planet and getting to a second. They just need metals and I had up to gold through mining.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 04, 2016, 09:03:57 am »

I managed to make a huge amount of progress on the Hylotl quest by scanning a particular painting, representing the library that is the object of said quest. Granny said something along the lines of "that's all I need".

That sounds like a cute, clever little feature that will get axed next update.
You mean replaced with a worse idea that is technically the same thing?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 04, 2016, 10:03:35 am »

I managed to make a huge amount of progress on the Hylotl quest by scanning a particular painting, representing the library that is the object of said quest. Granny said something along the lines of "that's all I need".

That sounds like a cute, clever little feature that will get axed next update.
You mean replaced with a worse idea that is technically the same thing?

Look shut up!

Being forced to explore until you find these few select cities and dungeons is CLEARLY superior to just making the galaxy interesting and worthwhile enough to explore on its own.

Gosh...

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 04, 2016, 10:27:20 am »

my only complain with the tech system is getting the upgrade materials. the metals are easy to deal with (if you find an asteroid belt you have plenty of it for that and more). but the tech upgrades are hard to find, much like the upgrades for the ship.

as for my game..

tried to do the Floran Hunting Grounds...not good enough
tried to do dreadwing....got it to half health....not enough bandages

i decided to just save on erchius fuel and look at the nearby system for resources. the nearest system is full of asteroid belts. not a single planet there. got enough gold to unlock the morphball mission with large amounts of bars to spare on future materials.

the nearest temperate system ate more than half of the fuel i had gathered (something like 400 in total9). the system is worth tho.

it has several snow planets, with a hylotl village and an apex resistance village. i also found it has at least 2 savannah planets and an oceanic one. however, i barely scrapped enough titanium for a single furniture upgrade. need to gather more erchius for a second expedition.

the farm was expanded. i was able to level the hill at the east and a small cabin that was there (the typical plant matter and wood ones, with a campfire, chair and bed). the first part of the terrain was converted into a pen for mooshies. the other will be converted into a much larger enclosure for the fluffalos, im planning to have at least 5 of each variant.

with the spare money i got from the expedition i was able to buy 2 mooshies. now i just have to gather enough pixels for the reamining 3.

i havent expanded the house yet. im revising the idea of expanding underground. it should earn me more dirt tiles for leveling the terrain up to the nearest mountain a place fitting for the rest of the crops.

as for the ship. i got a hylotl soldier from the village, have enough upgrade modules for the second upgrade but i need another crewmate, i may visit the apex again, i hope to get a quest from them.

havent added much to the ship. the main storage is used to save some personal stuff that doesnt clog my main storage on the planet base. i have a pod chest for storing food. a campfire and the sleeping bag i found at the start of the game. want to give some flesh to it but i dont have enough materials for that.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 04, 2016, 10:30:51 am »

I had the darn progress bar rewind itself a bit at least two times while scanning for the first racial mission. I finished that and haven't really bothered with the main story since. Not that I've played much since.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1390 on: August 04, 2016, 10:54:42 am »

my only complain with the tech system is getting the upgrade materials. the metals are easy to deal with (if you find an asteroid belt you have plenty of it for that and more). but the tech upgrades are hard to find, much like the upgrades for the ship.
Sadly the best way to get the upgrade modules seems to be just flying to random worlds and pilfering every NPC home or surface dungeon/structure. If you do this over and over you'll get plenty

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 04, 2016, 12:13:04 pm »

Sadly the best way to get the upgrade modules seems to be just flying to random worlds and pilfering every NPC home or surface dungeon/structure. If you do this over and over you'll get plenty

that's the thing. i've never been the looting type. i like to plunder dungeons and that stuff. but i've never pilfered an occupied house. sometimes i took a codex in order to add its contents, but i always left it back on its bookcase.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 04, 2016, 04:13:32 pm »

So.. Ribs.. Are they still ingame? There;s cooking recipes for them. But I've killed quite a few large quadrupeds now with a hunting bow, and all they do for me is drop normal meat.

Anyone found ribs in 1.0 yet?

EDIT: lol, Murphy. Just got one
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 04:29:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 04, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »

I've gotten them. I'm not claiming scientific accuracy, but I've gotten the impression they drop from large/wide fourleggers.
Love, scriver~

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: August 04, 2016, 04:32:04 pm »

Hey, just thought I should mention, Steam is allowing refunds for Starbound seemingly on the basis that the game was sold on fraudulent marketing. A few of my buddies just got their refund requests accepted despite having day 1 purchases.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 130