Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441091 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1515 on: August 08, 2016, 12:09:41 am »

Why not use flags instead?
Ah.  Well now, well now, I learn something every day. I thought flags were still purely decorative and didn't even pay them a second glance.  Given that the answer was right in their in-game description according to those Wiki articles, that's a wee bit embarrassing.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: August 08, 2016, 12:11:15 am »

Perhaps they should have put a freebie flag in the ship locker along with the canned food, so the SAIL would automatically give you the tutorial speech about their function when you grabbed it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 08, 2016, 12:15:08 am »

Why not use flags instead?
Ah.  Well now, well now, I learn something every day. I thought flags were still purely decorative and didn't even pay them a second glance.  Given that the answer was right in their in-game description according to those Wiki articles, that's a wee bit embarrassing.
There-there should be an unofficial official help manual for new Protectorate recruits along this line ._. I didn't even know this despite seeing the idea! And/or we need to update our Starbound gaming culture to be proactive with this kind of worksmanship. :P
Perhaps they should have put a freebie flag in the ship locker along with the canned food, so the SAIL would automatically give you the tutorial speech about their function when you grabbed it.
On that note...does anyone know other extremely well preserved food other than the canned food...and chocolate? :-X I'm always looking for those recipes since I'm lacking in making Ultimate Juice, and other such niceties.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: August 08, 2016, 12:34:09 am »

Perhaps you should work on getting a fridge? I just made a character and found two fridges in my starting system that I stole borrowed indefinitely from its inhabitants.
If you kill the little robot-type enemies with a bow you'll get static thingies instead of steak that's used to make mini fridges.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: August 08, 2016, 12:38:08 am »

I've noticed Rice stacks very well, lasts indefinitely, and by carrying a campfire as well, I can always eat Cooked Rice if I lack meat.  Thankfully, beriberi is not a thing in the far-distant future. :P

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: August 08, 2016, 02:23:37 am »

Perhaps you should work on getting a fridge? I just made a character and found two fridges in my starting system that I stole borrowed indefinitely from its inhabitants.
If you kill the little robot-type enemies with a bow you'll get static thingies instead of steak that's used to make mini fridges.
Do...fridges prolong expiry date indefinitely? I'm lost with storage containers that I'm unsure how spoilage even works. :I (eg Does it only spoil in the player's time, as in if it's in the inventory?)

So I just eat them and save all the chocolate for later, dedicating a whole section on my ship to cocoa farms.
I've noticed Rice stacks very well, lasts indefinitely, and by carrying a campfire as well, I can always eat Cooked Rice if I lack meat.  Thankfully, beriberi is not a thing in the far-distant future. :P
Mmm, rice. Never spoils. Can be cooked. Just like cocoa and chocolate. :3 (Although campfires don't do well with it, so I bring my portable futuristic stove! :P). Although checking the wiki...it seems the top tier cooking facility is pretty much the wooden cooking...workshop thing. So it has around 4 variants, with the best (space/area wise) being the Glitch one, as you can place things on it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 08, 2016, 03:03:42 am »

The only non-stackable vegetable that starts out as 'extremely well preserved' is the potato, as far as I can tell. All other non-stackable crops start as 'will stay fresh for a while'.

And yes, a fridge completely stops the decay timer as long as the item is in the fridge.

Hint: get seeds for crops you have trouble finding by getting a ton of tenants. Depending on their home's planetary danger level, they'll give you various tier seeds.

My magma base tenants keep giving me neonmelon, avesmingo, chili and wartweed seeds. My starting planet tenants like giving me rice and wheat seeds.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:06:45 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 08, 2016, 04:25:30 am »

You can also bring in coconuts but they stack in your weapon slot and cost an extra non stacking step to turn it into coconut water. Along with rice, you can make coconut rice.

There's also cactus and mushrooms. If you're playing with FU, sugar can make bon-bons and more bon-bons can make bon-bon-bons. Which gives energy boost for quite a while.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 08, 2016, 04:32:08 am »

Is there a change log somewhere that lists the features present in the unstable/nightly build, vs the stable release?

I found this thing, but the date stamp for the nightly build is about half a year older than that for the stable build, so I consider the whole thing to be suspect.

Also, if I wanted to run one of the big mod packs like Plus or Frakin, should I not be touching the nightlys?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:35:45 am by puke »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: August 08, 2016, 04:42:38 am »

You can also bring in coconuts but they stack in your weapon slot and cost an extra non stacking step to turn it into coconut water. Along with rice, you can make coconut rice.

There's also cactus and mushrooms. If you're playing with FU, sugar can make bon-bons and more bon-bons can make bon-bon-bons. Which gives energy boost for quite a while.
bon bons, and bon bon bons are vanilla, not FU
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: August 08, 2016, 04:47:34 am »

Is there a change log somewhere that lists the features present in the unstable/nightly build, vs the stable release?

I found this thing, but the date stamp for the nightly build is about half a year older than that for the stable build, so I consider the whole thing to be suspect.

Also, if I wanted to run one of the big mod packs like Plus or Frakin, should I not be touching the nightlys?

I don't think nightly builds still exist? Under the Betas tab, I don't see an option other than NONE.

AFAIK they were during development only, being the difference between the 'stable' beta builds and the bleeding edge "we committed what we were working on that day" test builds.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 08, 2016, 05:43:38 am »

I don't think nightly builds still exist? Under the Betas tab, I don't see an option other than NONE.

For steam anyway, it installs two games.  "starbound" and "starbound - unstable".  You can select "nightly" as the beta option on the unstable build, but not for the regular one.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: August 08, 2016, 09:49:12 am »

Finally got around to trying this again. So far it seems pretty decent. And stable, which is a nice change from whenever I tried to play it last.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 08, 2016, 10:03:35 am »

It is fun, but I'm dieing like crazy on the first intro planet.  Lost most of my stuff way down deep, and died again from a fall when trying to recover it.

I thought there would be some ability to focus on the farming / crafting / town building kind of stuff, like Stardew in space.  Figured it would be fun to play with the Mrs, but I don't think she'd be able to enjoy the platforming and spelunking aspects.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: August 08, 2016, 10:43:24 am »

Well, you can. With the whole colony tenant system you can focus pretty well on building up a nice little community. Unfortunately, it seems that you have to go through the main plot to unlock a bunch of the shops that really let you do that, which requires the platforming combat stuff to do.

There might be some option to skip that, but I'm not sure.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 130