Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 437276 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #1755 on: August 21, 2016, 11:25:50 pm »

It... dropped off the teleporter list? can that happen (without breaking the teleporter of course)?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: August 22, 2016, 12:17:19 am »

You can still get there through SAIL's list of missions, can't you? Afaik it never removes that one.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: August 22, 2016, 05:30:56 am »

You can still get there through SAIL's list of missions, can't you? Afaik it never removes that one.

It is still on that list, great!  Thanks!

It... dropped off the teleporter list? can that happen (without breaking the teleporter of course)?

Yeah, gone.  I think it was related to a problem with flags... I was using a single flag as a bookmark as I traveled around this one planet, thinking that I only needed one bookmark and that I'd just re-use it as I traveled further.  Turned out that it actually kept the flag bookmark on my list, even after I removed the flag.

But when I tried to teleport to the missing flag, it just teleported me back to the origin point (my ship) and then removed the broken bookmark from the list.  I think it removed the Science Outpost at the same time.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1758 on: August 25, 2016, 02:47:24 pm »

Can anyone explain to me how the fossil brushes work? I've got a brush, and I found a fossil, but using the brush on it does nothing, no matter how long I hold the button down... What am I missing?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: August 25, 2016, 02:55:03 pm »

Stupid question, but fossils are in the background wall. Were you left or right clicking while holding it?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: August 25, 2016, 03:19:22 pm »

You need to be pretty close to it to brush it successfully. Like, basically standing over it close.
Love, scriver~

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: August 25, 2016, 04:25:05 pm »

Stupid question, but fossils are in the background wall.

they sort of are, but sort of not.  they are in the background in that you can walk past them unobstructed.. but they are in the foreground in that you can mine them for bones with a left-click and they leave a regular wall behind.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1762 on: August 25, 2016, 04:41:58 pm »

Stupid question, but fossils are in the background wall. Were you left or right clicking while holding it?

I tried both. Left-clicking gave a brushing animation, right-clicking did nothing. I was standing pretty much on top of it. How long do you have to brush it before it works?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 25, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »

If it's realistic, probably for days. :P

I've just ignored the fossils, personally. They don't look terribly interesting to me.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: August 25, 2016, 07:15:31 pm »

I've just ignored the fossils, personally. They don't look terribly interesting to me.

They are completely useless. You can mount them into display cases, which you can then place, but they don't do anything, they're just decorative. It's such a shame the various elements of this game are so disjointed. The fossils are just like the pets, they're only there because they were a stretch goal, but they don't actually make the game better in any way or do anything at all. Again I can't help thinking they could be wonderfully tied into the tenant system if furniture affected rent rewards. Place a bunch of fossils in a home to attract an archaeologist tenant, who then gives out various Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park-themed items, such as a JP version of the jeep that got removed. Wouldn't that be fun? But no, let's not do that, said Starbound devs.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:19:26 pm by Sordid »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: August 25, 2016, 09:52:11 pm »

Well they also said at one point there was a finished system where the items in storage affected the quanitity and value of vendor inventories. Finished, not in progress.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 26, 2016, 04:39:56 am »

I tried both. Left-clicking gave a brushing animation, right-clicking did nothing. I was standing pretty much on top of it. How long do you have to brush it before it works?

I dont have a fossil station yet, but I have looked at some stuff and it seems like you also need tools?  Do you have the various fossil tools in addition to the brush?  It might not be launching the minigame if you don't have enough equipment to break the rocks.

They are completely useless. You can mount them into display cases, which you can then place, but they don't do anything, they're just decorative.

Aw, thats enough for lots of folks.  I think it is pretty much throwing a bone (rimshot) to the animal crossing crowd.  Fossil collecting was an end to its self, for no other reason than to complete collections.  Seems like pretty much the same thing here.  Honestly, I think it would be sweet to complete a large skeleton.

I even got this fossil mod that makes the images in the wall more representative of the size of fossil they are so you can get an idea of what it is before you start the minigame.  Of course, I dont have the tools to try it, yet.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1767 on: August 26, 2016, 04:51:18 am »

The only thing you can make is the brushes. Using the brush on a fossil is supposed to trigger a mini-game, according to the official wiki. The tools are part of the mini-game, and which tools are available to you depends on the type of brush you have.

In any case, I managed to get it working. It looks like somehow I was truly not standing close enough - placing my character directly on top of the fossil then using the brush caused the mini-game to open at last. I succeeded in getting my first fossil (an unidentified torso).

Collecting them is enough for me. Remember, there are several types of gamers. Some are motivated by discovering and collecting new things - I am one of those (a combination of the achiever/explorer types). Once I run out of things to collect/discover, I tend to lose interest in a game. So the more collections are possible, the more I want to play. Not everyone is motivated by combat, efficiency, and things like that. Hence why I got so annoyed when I discovered the erchius mine mission was mandatory before I would be allowed to explore/collect - they forced gamers like me to engage in the type of gameplay we don't like, before we were permitted to engage in the type of gameplay we *do* like (and which Starbound is full of, it's just gated behind that stupid quest).

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: August 26, 2016, 07:31:43 am »

Sure, collecting them is enough for some people. But if they were more useful, that wouldn't invalidate their value as collectibles or force you to do anything. You could still collect them for the sake of it, it's just that player types other than yourself would have a reason to bother with them. To me that's an unequivocal, unarguable, objective plus.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: August 26, 2016, 07:37:41 am »

great.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:39:43 am by puke »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 130