Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 163168 times)

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2015, 05:57:58 am »

Holy shit, Dishmab's epic struggle with the beast is the most awesome story I've ever read in the forums! I'm totally astonished.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2015, 04:47:40 pm »

Side view of the stained glass windows in the Memorial Broke:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And DF map archive of it all, from which I got the side view.

The Fort assembled to watch the first gladiatorial games, featuring the human Angir Clinchrout, several war boars all up against large numbers corpses.

Productivity crumbled to a standstill, it was a great opportunity for socialization. Angir Clinchrout himself was a master lasher, having been trained extensively by Dwarven engineers.
Angir Clinchrout was victorious, and the Dwarves returned once more to work, in preparation for future games.

The Fort has entered a rather profound age of decadence and industry. Death is much rarer, with most death merely arising from old Captains having seen too many days - and dying from old age. The Fort has also increased its wealth of metalworkers from 2 to 15, the massive increase in productivity is tangible. One cause for concern is that the lower levels of the caverns are increasingly infested by Forgotten Beasts... More and more arrive. Some fly, breathe venomous vapours or set the moss ablaze with fire. Needless to say the Quarry Rampway has not seen Dwarven feet for a long time, lest they tempt the Forgotten Beasts into attacking the surface world.
The Dwarves celebrate, and for the first time ever the Fort's population has experienced uninterrupted growth pushing the Fort's population to above those pre-HFS. The Were-civets have also been given lessons in swimming (rather aggressive lessons). A second demon, this one having earned a name, has also been captured. It is a sleet demon and dutifully patrolled hell, killing all of the corpses the Dwarves were releasing into the slade steppes. It pursued the Dwarves' creations up until it caught sight of a living war boar. This drove it into one of the Dwarves' tunnels, where it was promptly trapped and captured.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2015, 10:22:56 am »

If you took the entirety of history at the fort, what would be the leading cause of death?

At Bastiongate it would be being killed by a plains titan in 252.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2015, 11:08:03 am »

If you took the entirety of history at the fort, what would be the leading cause of death?

At Bastiongate it would be being killed by a plains titan in 252.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2015, 12:10:07 pm »

Under "medical complications" you mean fatal injuries inflicted by demons, right?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2015, 03:36:18 pm »

Under "medical complications" you mean fatal injuries inflicted by demons, right?
Any Dwarf that made it to the hospital who stood a good chance of living but died due to thirst/infection or something like that are classed as those having died under medical complications. Most of those Dwarves will have been those that survived undead attacks but did not make it through hospital, as with demons usually you have Dwarves either fully dead or fully fine. Excluding were-civets, I've only known three Dwarves to be maimed by demons and live.
Most of the syndrome deaths however... Demons. With smidgens of megabeasts.

The Dwarves sparred atop a muddy ditch, any who fell had to endure the fall and slog back up the banks to spar and fall again - until they fell no longer. Originally this ditch was half-filled with water to train Dwarves how to swim, but mothers complained of how hard it was to find babies amidst the water when they inevitably fell in during training.

I had quite the startle when I checked the alert for combat. Usually this just means another Dwarf fell down into the mud or bumped into someone on one of the rampways, but this time there were a dozen combat reports flagged and a forgotten beast was amongst them. All I found was a corridor full of broken bolts, three Dwarves passed out and a great big forgotten beast corpse lying broken in the mud.

A forgotten beast had attacked underbelly of the Fortress, running right into one of the barracks, having found a way in past all the Fort's defences. The comatose Dwarves, notably 3rd Forge Master Edem Beemaster, 15th Forge Master Stukos Anvilshake and Battle Miner Amost Granitetouched, spent weeks resting in the hospital before waking up and getting back to work. I don't actually know what the Forgotten Beast looked like, so I'm going to try and resurrect it. I believe it managed to break through the 1st cavern layer, swim through the artificial lakes and make its way up through one of the arena maintenance tunnels right into the barracks. It has a very potent syndrome that causes this unconsciousness, no doubt if this wasn't the barracks and there weren't so many other Dwarves to finish what the first three started then it would've begun a steady depopulation of the Fortress.

This is one of those exceptions to the usual everyday happy Dwarven life I'm talking about. There are too many bloody beasts roaming the caverns! The Fort was fortunate this time that the syndrome had no longer lasting effects. I may try flushing them out of the caverns somehow...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2015, 03:40:18 pm »

Magma?
One wheel short of a wagon

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2015, 05:03:21 pm »

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2015, 05:09:24 pm »

Magma?
RIP GWG & Necro910

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2015, 05:23:29 pm »

Gah, I can't figure it out, what's with your profile picture, do you like change it every three hours?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2015, 05:32:30 pm »

Sacrifice goats to lamprey eels

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2015, 05:52:07 pm »

Sacrifice goats to lamprey eels

Both work. One involves a delicious prepared meal.
One wheel short of a wagon

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »

Ah. I assumed it had to be something like that, but there was no way to be sure of anything.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2015, 01:02:36 am »

Ah. I assumed it had to be something like that, but there was no way to be sure of anything.

Try clicking through pages of this thread or others.  It changes every time you load a page where LW posted. 

Anyway, I would suggest bait animals and some form of trap.  All these different FBs might make great colosseum attractions if you use the web and cage trap trick.  (You might need a cave-in system for ones which can emit syndromes even while caged, though...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2015, 04:23:15 am »

Yes, only, sometimes, it doesn't. At least for my hilariously !!shitty!! computers.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32