Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 163271 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #315 on: August 25, 2015, 12:48:55 pm »

I hope they breed, and produce a kingdom of eagles on your roof. They'll start dying in a couple of years, and it could be like the ravens all over again.

Fixed that for you. =P
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 25, 2015, 06:47:57 pm »

Yeah that reaction is the one I used, it produced limestone blocks for some reason. Still fiddling around with reactions to try and find one to make bone or corpse blocks, either will do.

The reaction I used has had zero issues, but then I'm running 40.24. You could try Meph's reaction from Masterwork, which differs on some key points, if you're using pre-2014.
The silver is responsible for this How?

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 27, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »

dude, this is like one of the best threads ever

I've no earthly clue how to even get that many megabeasts.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 27, 2015, 11:04:18 pm »

dude, this is like one of the best threads ever

I've no earthly clue how to even get that many megabeasts.

Larger world (more FBs), gen with 300 megabeasts.

And then enjoy!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 28, 2015, 03:37:31 am »

Then play for 30 dwarven years straight.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2015, 03:15:57 pm »

Then play for 30 dwarven years straight.
Some of my marksdwarves have 5+ FB kills - and they only get to kill the ones that show up in the second cavern.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2015, 04:03:01 pm »

Huh. Cushy posting, eh.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2015, 04:53:38 pm »

Huh. Cushy posting, eh.
Well, they have earned their keep. Many were old and have died of old age since then, but the original marksdwarf corps were hunters that were drafted when a titan, a humanoid of mud with webs, attacked the fortress in its childhood. They saved the fortress from certain destruction, pelting the titan with endless silver bolts from the walls until it crumbled to pieces.

Of the ten original marksdwarves, five remain. Four died of old age and one left when I was forced to retire the fort. Three of those original marksdwarves have 5+ FB kills.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 07, 2015, 02:11:43 pm »

I've been thinking about this. Bastiongate and Silentthunders are somewhat similar, but very different.

I think this mostly comes from our perspectives on solving problems. When I come up against an insurmountable problem, I find a way around it. When you face an insurmountable problem, you throw the full force of your will and creativity against that fucker and you solve it.

Faced with an infinite siege, Silentthunders would fight it to the last. Your whole fortress is geared for war. Every building is a fortress. Every citizen is a soldier. Every resource is a weapon. You would throw bolt and blade, demon and undead, magma and traps at the enemy. Every step the enemy took would cost them dearly. It would be an epic tale. But eventually you would fall.

Faced with the same situation, Bastiongate would simply seal its doors. No way the siege is getting in here. Life would continue as normal.

For that matter, it shows in how we deal with sieges now. When you get invaded, your 100-plus-man military charges out and slaughters the enemy. I catch most of the invading force in traps and finish off the stragglers with my 10-man military.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #324 on: September 07, 2015, 06:13:00 pm »

Times have been changing. The golden age of victory has dimmed. Dwarves have been dying and ghosts rising to haunt the living, old grizzleguts all falling to age as age made their bodies fall apart. There was something quite sad when Uvash L. Tiger keeled over in the middle of a military demonstration, Unib Titans was found screaming drill commands to young recruits - as a ghost beyond the grave and old Professor Cog was fast asleep atop a pile of records. Cog didn't wake up.

Then there was Feb Phrasecobalt the Macabre. Not always known as the Macabre, Feb Phrasecobalt was a quiet Dwarf; happy and optimistic, rarely discouraged, modest and all round relaxed. He was well loved by many, and to see Feb crack up and lose it was grueling for all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At the age of 7 Feb was involved in a terrible accident whilst playing with his brothers and sisters. He fell down several flights of stairs due to this accident and severed his lower spine and broke one of his legs. I refused to give up on little Feb and there was something admirable about how even without the use of his legs Feb soldiered on, exceeding in his craftsdwarfship and military drill. As he neared the age of 22, having studied under some fine elite Captains, Feb might have become a great instructor - after all, what better way to motivate the young ones than to have their instructor kick their backsides without any functioning use of his lower half?

Regrettably whilst his physical wounds healed, mental wounds were left behind. Feb would eventually grow miserable. Long after his accident the trauma of his injuries still haunted him. There was nothing the doctors could do to fix those wounds or give him use of his legs back. He would've recovered but Armok gifts and curses with his visions. He saved one Dwarf from a coma with his visions, now he took one Dwarf from happiness with his visions.
Having gone into a demented macabre state Feb grew solitary and disturbed. This eventually developed into full blown insanity, and Feb went stark raving mad, running around through the Fortress until at last starvation claimed him.
And so ended Feb Phrasecobalt the Macabre, formerly Feb Phrasecobalt the Optimist.

There was little time to mourn after the Titan attacked.
The Titan was a clumsy three-eyed dimetrodon with enormous thin wings of stretched skin and ensnaring webs vomiting forth from a mouth shielded by oval scales. Well, all of it was shielded by oval scales.
It bypassed the ground defences by virtue of its hideous wings and landed right on top of a wall segment, steadily smashing through a floor hatch to get at the juicy morsels hiding below. This all took place within walking distance of one of the largest barracks within the Fortress, a taskforce was assembled rapidly. Several dozen elite soldiers and fresh recruits eagerly marched up to the hatch, ready to bust through and catch the Titan off guard.
This is the point where the beast crashed through the hatch and caught the taskforce off guard. Caught in the chokepoint every single Dwarf except for one was immobilized by its great webs. Doctor Onul Bloodmachine on the one hand and Zoslu Ustxuutol on the other.
Doctor Onul Bloodmachine had a well earned reputation for her surname. Zoslu kept trying to catch her but she was too fast, kicking it shins, lodging her axe in its wings - after striking its front leg with her steel shield she was finally in a position to deal the killing blow.
And off went Zoslu's head.

Have you read Datan and the Eagle, I believe it was called?
Yes!
I hope they breed, and produce a kingdom of eagles on your roof. Except they'll start dying in a couple of years, and it could be like the ravens all over again.
I am worried a bit about that, as I have spotted more eagles popping around and disappearing from ledges with disturbing regularity. A small lockdown has been ordered to curtail eagle movement, they fly through shafts and passageways like noble rats, gremlins and kobolds. I do not look forward to their reincarnation as undead gargoyles clawing at my Dwarves' eyes.
As a side interest after the birth of one particular Dwarf of incredibly healthy stock I began surveying my Dwarves for one trait in particular: The tall and humongous amongst the Fort. The Fort has been blessed with Dwarves born of excessive proportions. About 5% of the Dwarven population are larger than humans. They are all being given the titles of Shukar to add to their names, I hope to one day create a squad purely out of gargantuan Dwarves (by Dwarven standards anyways).

I've been thinking about this. Bastiongate and Silentthunders are somewhat similar, but very different.
I think this mostly comes from our perspectives on solving problems. When I come up against an insurmountable problem, I find a way around it. When you face an insurmountable problem, you throw the full force of your will and creativity against that fucker and you solve it.
Faced with an infinite siege, Silentthunders would fight it to the last. Your whole fortress is geared for war. Every building is a fortress. Every citizen is a soldier. Every resource is a weapon. You would throw bolt and blade, demon and undead, magma and traps at the enemy. Every step the enemy took would cost them dearly. It would be an epic tale. But eventually you would fall.
Faced with the same situation, Bastiongate would simply seal its doors. No way the siege is getting in here. Life would continue as normal.
For that matter, it shows in how we deal with sieges now. When you get invaded, your 100-plus-man military charges out and slaughters the enemy. I catch most of the invading force in traps and finish off the stragglers with my 10-man military.
I thank you for your praise and find it uncannily relevant; it brings bloody tears to my eyes (or perhaps that is a terrible affliction at work).

After finally finishing two lines of cage traps to hopefully capture some humans, I decided to boot up force siege to get a modest amount of humans for capture. Forts like Bastiongate where defence is a grim automated killing machine show there's more than one way to skin a cat, and I needed some humans for R&D. The last siege didn't accomplish my objectives because I actually wanted to catch some humans, but they refused to enter any of my killing fields. So some trap lines were set up more directly outside in the hopes that at least some humans would be captured.
And humans did arrive. I had anticipated 20 at most, and so made no preparations for siege. I expected many humans to be captured and the rest defeated with ease.
What I failed to realize was that after Eslo's first assault tested the defences of Silentthunders she decided to take a more proactive role in the next assault. It is notable her soldiers all hail from different corners of the earth, some riding horses, some camels - others with cinnamon skin like my Dwarves or peach or copper skin from other human civilizations no doubt incorporated one way or another into the Empire. Their weapons are exotic, their names unusual to even their peers - war lions and mosquito riders fighting alongside pikemen, lancers, camel halberdiers and horse archers. Rescued from goblins or absorbed from neighbouring human Kingdoms, probably both; Eslo was undefeated in her long list of battles, and her army had everything.
She herself was little more than a great skinless lizard who fooled the humans into believing either her martial prowess or her divinity. Dangerous, yes - but Dwarven blades could cut her just as well as any demon.
The real challenge lay in her army. It had everything from every weapon and war animal the entirety of human civilization had access to.

None of my Marksdwarves are in position in the gatehouses and the undead forgotten beast I intended to unleash failed to release because I forgot to link it to any mechanisms. All hatches have been batted down and 155 soldiers have been mobilized for war. The Dwarves sleep fully armed and armoured and some sleep underneath vital fortifications to ensure response times are stellar. This time around I don't believe a clean open battle will be possible. In spite of some setbacks Eslo hasn't seen all of our dirty tricks yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 07, 2015, 07:03:27 pm »

Sad. But don't you have more dwarves being born? If not, you might need to invest in some dwarven marriage cells.

Awesome, I've already killed all four titans in my world. One was a flying webber. I thought I was doomed when my marksdwarves turned up quivers empty, but it was dispatched with a single stab to the head. Anticlimactic.

I fucking jinxed it on that siege, didn't I.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 07:05:06 pm by TheFlame52 »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 08, 2015, 10:32:36 am »

Can't wait to see what comes of this.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #327 on: September 08, 2015, 06:17:50 pm »

Sad. But don't you have more dwarves being born? If not, you might need to invest in some dwarven marriage cells.
Awesome, I've already killed all four titans in my world. One was a flying webber. I thought I was doomed when my marksdwarves turned up quivers empty, but it was dispatched with a single stab to the head. Anticlimactic.
I fucking jinxed it on that siege, didn't I.
Yeah kids are still being born, 62% of all Dwarves were born in this Fort, the rest are all grizzleguts with memories of distant lands. It does take 12 years to turn a child into a soldier and even longer for the soldier to be a veteran though!

As for the siege...
Seven squads of Marksdwarves (green squares) have been ordered to the southern walls, two to the northern walls, two to the Citadel and the most elite sharpshooters of the Pleated Stakes stand ready on the courtyard battlements. In the barracks and the HQ several squads of elite shocktroopers and melee Dwarves of various specialty stand guard or on reserve; likewise two squads have been sent to the Crypt and Cathedral to protect our dead and deploy against any mosquito riders or false deities who would wish to strike our marksdwarves. Vital civilian activities are continuing, the militia and several other military squads have not yet been given battle orders. 121 soldiers are moving into position against over 320 hostiles, with over 30 continuing vital activities and 36 children harvesting food crops. Most if not all are mounted units, so that's around 160 camelry or cavalry in the first wave. For FPS reasons I am going to wait a bit before forcing even more sieges until I reach even more, MORE HUMANS. I hope to catch Eslo in a crossfire, to quickly kill the false deity. With any luck she'll trap herself in some corridor but I doubt it, so death will have to do.

I had just finished writing when I decided to force just one more siege.
This siege came with a few hundred more humans.
It's going to be a long war.
Eh fuck it, we've gone this far. Let's rev this up a bit, I've cheated Armok once already with the HFS.
You see that nice little map above with the squares? Throw the squares out the window, the enemy is everywhere.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 08, 2015, 06:27:23 pm »

You see that nice little map above with the squares? Throw the squares out the window, the enemy is everywhere.

THE END IS NIGH
MAY ARMOK'S GAZE LINGER ONLY SHORTLY UPON THEE
Who let that crazy dwarf into the dining hall again?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #329 on: September 08, 2015, 06:50:22 pm »

18th of Malachite, the first bolt was fired. Bolts are flying everywhere for days across the battlements everywhere, it has not dissuaded the humans one bit who are - everywhere. By sheer volume they have disabled some of the outer traps. Horses and camels are vomiting everywhere, and one of the enemy axemen swatted a steel bolt out from the sky to save his horse. Truly, they are heroes, it seems almost a shame most of them must die.

The human vanguard is assaulting the courtyard, a squad of camelry pikemen led by a human hammer lord - Dana Karalaka. This one should be captured.

*It happened again.
I forced one more siege.
Armok gave me 500 more soldiers. I'd say we're at least outnumbered 12 to 1 and any above ground bee gathering will have to be canceled for the next few years.

The end is nigh

*EDIT
THERE WERE MORE THAN I THOUGHT, THEY'RE STILL ARRIVING
They've clogged up the eastern tunnel weapon traps with camel and horse corpses. I'm sealing the Quarry entrance, I don't want the Forgotten Beasts smelling their blood and deciding a trip to the surface would be fun.
*EDITx2
One of the children, Fikud Matchedquakes just created a grizzly bear bone scepter. I don't know where Fikud found the grizzly bear skeleton.
*EDITx3
Apparently you can overpower a weapon trap by throwing enough people at it - it can only target one at a time. And then it gets clogged with corpses and stops working.
*EDITx4
We're at 1600 enemies and still climbing. They're not showing any signs of slowing down.
*EDITx5
The first Marksdwarves on the walls have run out of bolts and must resupply.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:07:32 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32