Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 165073 times)

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #360 on: September 09, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »

Upon the death of loud whispers, humanity shall erect great statues blessed with mass sacrifices in honor of the great saga that has been created here.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 09, 2015, 11:16:03 pm »

Upon the death of loud whispers, humanity shall erect great statues blessed with mass sacrifices in honor of the great saga that has been created here.
The conquerors of Silentthunder would have no time for such victory celebrations, they would soon be holding back the vengeful forces of the Undead and relentless Demons.

Edit*
i seem to have gone a little over the top there...
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 10, 2015, 12:48:39 am »

Intense! Good to hear you have so many fallback plans. Guess you just decided to shake it up? :P

And thanks for the in-depth replies! (Although I guess you have some time, with the 1fps and all.) To visualize...is that literally the same as pausing and pressing the "." key once every second?

Godspeed to your dwarves in slaying the invaders, man. You've set up quite the challenge for them. If only their leader had stuck around to be caged...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 10, 2015, 01:50:31 am »

Have you ever seen that in fort mode though?
Does it count if I did a 4x1 embark between two lairs specifically for that sort of thing?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also loved the poor bastard pinned to his camel and getting chewed on by an undead horse, turnabout or some such?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2015, 10:06:55 am »

And thanks for the in-depth replies! (Although I guess you have some time, with the 1fps and all.) To visualize...is that literally the same as pausing and pressing the "." key once every second?
Pretty much

The fight lasted much longer than I thought it should have seeing just how much the odds were stacked against the humans, kudos definitely has to be given to Iguk Dukairum who was the last man fighting (but not the last man alive). Iguk was a spearmaster but unfortunately only had a well-decorated copper spear, it seems if someone had just done the courtesy of at least giving him an iron or bronze one he would've done more damage to the Dwarven lines than one Dwarf with a broken foot and another with a punctured hand. It was really quite something to see Iguk hold his own against increasing numbers of Dwarves; even after he was surprised from behind when a steel warhammer crushed his shield arm and broke his shoulder he continued to fight one handed. Eventually his limp arm even got severed off by an adamantine battle axe swing, I imagine that was Iguk throwing caution to the wind and using his own broken limb as a shield. Iguk would only go down after passing out from exhaustion (after days of constant fighting), taking a steel warhammer to the brain. There's been one confirmed Dwarven death and many other injured Dwarves (who I'm confident the doctors will patch up); this was a good fight, unfortunately we won't be able to play any more of these tricks.
The leftovers of the battle have woken up and disabled a third of the axe blades with their stupid bodies. On the bright side they should prove quite the speedbump to the enemy. Right now besides the Marksdwarves on the walls the rest of the soldiers have been given leave to rest, go to the hospital, eat, drink and be merry or miserable. There is a sharp generational gap in how much fun the Dwarves are having.
Of note is that I've spotted a squad of axemen led by a master lasher, and they're the only non-mounted humans I can see. They appear to be retreating whilst their comrades march on. Cracks might be appearing in their morale.

I've also figured out the solution to the corpse bomb problem! I can dump the corpses into the moose pit and unleash the moose pit upon the surface world. Although this will mean losing some valuable museum pieces I figured there's no point having a museum piece if everyone who could look at it is dead.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2015, 06:29:49 pm »

NOW I KNOW WHY IT AMUSED ME FINDING A WEREMOOSE!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2015, 06:58:29 pm »

I wonder if the creature transforms into a smaller moose, or transforms into a larger moose relative to its size =- every full moon becoming a gigantic cosmic moose.

In other news I utterly detest mounted soldiers, they are far more resilient than they have any right to be. The Marksdwarves have had a field day harrying the enemy, using the gatehouses, the moose pit and the walls to strike at the riders even from the presumed safety of their camps.
So far all of these Dwarves have been running around the walls trading steel for silver with the humans, bolts and arrows flying around all over the place. Being deployed all at once in the same section before being redeployed all at once again has meant that the Marksdwarves have been able to relay punishing salvos and continuous fire on even the most determined humans and then move off to grab more bolts and inflict more damage on their assault.
There have been some close calls when the humans inevitably shot back.
Few human archers are of any quality compared to the highly-trained veterans of Silentthunders, and even the young ones are well-drilled marksdwarves.
Unfortunately a few human archers are capable enough. We've lost the Fort's greatest marksdwarf, though it is an admitted fact Urist Uvash was not quite as good a crossbowdwarf as back when he still had working eyes. Now only five of the starting seven remain, the seven friends dwindling with each passing conflict. A column of axemen and archers are unwittingly walking into the last pillar-bomb trap in the southgate and more and more corpses are filling the Moose Pit to the brim. Soon they will be allowed to eat.
Whilst looking for weapons to use against the humans, I also stumbled upon something I had left locked away in the stockpiles - forgotten, even by me. It was only after the death of Professor Cog Iden that I looked into his records. I like to imagine before Cog Iden died he highlighted the part where there was a gigantic 90,000 Urist heavy black bronze walking god of war that spewed deadly venomous clouds wherever it went was just waiting for a fight. There must still be 1400 to 1500 living hostiles running amok in Dwarven lands, unleashing this metal titan on them honours it a thousand times more than anything I could ever do with it otherwise. Ibruk the black bronze Titan versus Eslo's legion. Weighing in at 5 metric tons and walking around with the force of several great white sharks I expect good things to come of this.

Of interest is that Eslo appears to have also disappeared from the civilizations tab. Are the human lords deposing her?

*EDIT
Severed hands, arms and heads that have landed on my battlements have come back to life and are now attacking my Fortress from within. Most of them I can leave alone whilst the fight with humankind continues, but it won't hurt to send a dozen elite soldiers to keep important hallways clean.
*EDIT
Captain Sakzul Ragslaughter has been sent to the hospital before he passes out from pain due to the arrow sticking out of his leg.
*EDIT
*Bim Allyshields has been shot and killed.
*EDIT
*The Baron has taken three bronze arrows and is out of the fight, possibly going to die.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:34:56 pm by Loud Whispers »

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2015, 08:02:13 pm »

At risk of sounding utterly cliched and I corny:

Sakzul Ragsluaghter: "I missed the carnage of the black bronze titan, because I took an arrow to the knee."

If the future can make supercomputers widely available to the lower dredges of humanity, I truly hope toady will hardcode battles such as these into the worlds we create.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2015, 08:11:28 pm »

At risk of sounding utterly cliched and I corny:

Sakzul Ragsluaghter: "I missed the carnage of the black bronze titan, because I took an arrow to the knee."

If the future can make supercomputers widely available to the lower dredges of humanity, I truly hope toady will hardcode battles such as these into the worlds we create.

Modern Computers are more powerful than supercomputers back in 1990.  So. That's already happened.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2015, 08:19:54 pm »

I wonder if the creature transforms into a smaller moose, or transforms into a larger moose relative to its size =- every full moon becoming a gigantic cosmic moose.
I think it was just a regular sized weremoose sadly, didn't breathe fire anymore either, just amused me to bite a dragon and turn them into a weremoose.

In other news I utterly detest mounted soldiers, they are far more resilient than they have any right to be. The Marksdwarves have had a field day harrying the enemy, using the gatehouses, the moose pit and the walls to strike at the riders even from the presumed safety of their camps.
*The Baron has taken three bronze arrows and is out of the fight, possibly going to die.
Hmmm, you could use my names.lua to properly name the dorfs without nicknaming them... one sec.

Here, like this:

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 11, 2015, 12:06:14 pm »

*EDIT
Captain Sakzul Ragslaughter has been sent to the hospital before he passes out from pain due to the arrow sticking out of his leg.
*EDIT
*Bim Allyshields has been shot and killed.
*EDIT

This just got to Lord of the Rings epicness. And I don't even mean the movies.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 15, 2015, 02:48:08 pm »

Seriously though, this is awesome. If it hasn't already been placed in the Hall of Legends, it must be.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #372 on: September 24, 2015, 07:50:54 am »

Any news?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 24, 2015, 07:00:49 pm »

For like the fifth time, can I get a save? I think I might be able to find that necromancer.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 05, 2015, 10:18:49 pm »

This is the best thing I've read in a long time. Sorry Alistair Reynolds, Heinlein, Asimov but you just can't compete with beautiful serendipity.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32