Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 162809 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #450 on: December 07, 2016, 04:24:56 pm »

Hot damn, finally read through the whole thing after my first PTW at what, a year ago now? Truly magnificent.  What's the current makeup of your fort's inhabitants? Any new legends of note spring up?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Attrition has for the first time overcome births, and of the original pioneer migrants only about 5 dozen remain. No new births means the population will keep decreasing and I think once the pop falls around 100 I'll begin forcibly socializing the remainders to kickstart a further generation. No new legends, since most of the Fort's legends are dead, retired or just going about their lives clearing corpses, building walls or going about industry and brewing.

Did update the death chart though

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 07, 2016, 04:40:21 pm »

Unknown causes?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #452 on: December 07, 2016, 07:19:20 pm »

Unknown causes = I have no idea how they died, or forgot, and their memorial hasn't helped me figure it out. There were a few mysterious deaths where the bodies were just *found*

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 08, 2016, 03:47:32 am »

Does the "mercilessly predated upon by werecreatures" include dwarves who didn't survive werecivet experiment, or is that dwarf murder or medical complications?

And, heck. You got 61 dwarves in first year - first two migration waves? - with little wealth generation as you had all but 3 dwarves in military at the end of the year.

As for the attrition, losing 18 dwarves in a year is pretty unusual. The typical loss seems just 5, which suggest 220 dwarves for 100-strong undead military (10 dwarves popping out 5 babies a year, with 12 years to grow to full size).

Halve that for 50-big military, or if your military isn't undead but popping out new life. I don't think it was...

Also, did you track this by updating a spreadsheet every time dwarf died or was born?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #454 on: January 16, 2017, 05:47:29 pm »

Apologies for the month late response

Does the "mercilessly predated upon by werecreatures" include dwarves who didn't survive werecivet experiment, or is that dwarf murder or medical complications?
Should do yeah, but there will invariably be some inaccuracies because of the uncertain nature of my record keepings for the deaths. A lot of the early deaths may be wrongly attributed, or have multiple causes - if a Dwarf is knocked into a fire by a werecreature for example, I attribute it to the werecreature

And, heck. You got 61 dwarves in first year - first two migration waves? - with little wealth generation as you had all but 3 dwarves in military at the end of the year.
Give or take a dozen, the first 2 years had loads of migrants. Put me under the impression that migration would never end

As for the attrition, losing 18 dwarves in a year is pretty unusual. The typical loss seems just 5, which suggest 220 dwarves for 100-strong undead military (10 dwarves popping out 5 babies a year, with 12 years to grow to full size).
Yeah, usually more children have been born to replace the constant dying off of soldiers. The great siege, casualties incurred in cleanup, and the great widowing of so many couples has greatly reduced replacement - with some years where no Dwarves were born at all.

Halve that for 50-big military, or if your military isn't undead but popping out new life. I don't think it was...
It's a total fort-wide military with every adult Dwarf serving, which has been a double edged sword. The individual survivability of every Dwarf is high because they're all elite soldiers (or after years of continuous training will be) but it also eats into their social time, so they don't form new families. I'll probably have to order them to socialize in the crystal dome or something

Also, did you track this by updating a spreadsheet every time dwarf died or was born?
Pretty much

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 16, 2017, 06:03:40 pm »

Welp, this is what my mind jumps to.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 16, 2017, 10:58:44 pm »

Well, as far as saving the pandas goes, my recommendation is pair suites; a meeting area is really slo...

Well. Didn't they breed by spores in 34.11? That should improve the popping rate once the marriages are done, I suppose.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #457 on: January 17, 2017, 03:16:20 pm »

Well, as far as saving the pandas goes, my recommendation is pair suites; a meeting area is really slo...

Well. Didn't they breed by spores in 34.11? That should improve the popping rate once the marriages are done, I suppose.
That sounds like a good plan. I just want to wait out these current times so that newly-weds don't become new widows before matchmaking though, to ensure stable and continual growth after an initial period of decline

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 24, 2018, 06:47:06 pm »

Is this post dead? I'd love to hear the ultimate fate of the fortress Silentthunders.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #459 on: November 24, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »

Hibernating I'd say, not dead though. I haven't played that much in the past year owing to material and time constraints, but I managed to make some meager progress worth writing about. I'll update tomorrow, gods be willing

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 14, 2020, 10:49:15 pm »

And then no more was said.

Six years after the first post, the legend that is Silentthunders has finally been recognized! This thread has been inducted into the Hall of Legends for the enjoyment of Escaped Lunatics yet to be. Binge-reading the thread a second time was a trip. I swear to Armok, there's a sig-worthy quote or three in every one of Loud Whispers' updates. The great human siege was so exciting reading it all at once! Seeing my old posts reminded me of worse times, and better ones. I can never equal this fortress with any of my own achievements, but I can bask in the glory of Loud Whispers' great work. I can only hope that this inspires him to continue it.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2020, 11:25:39 pm »

Cheers!

I considered being the one to necro this with the good news... couldn't quite find the words. Thanks for stepping in to deliver. :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 15, 2020, 02:46:21 am »

*Salutes the ship and her captain*

Sail on, you mad bastard. Sail on.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #463 on: February 28, 2020, 06:14:07 am »

GODS WERE UNWILLING.

2019 was a brutal year personally, though I escaped it alive and well - albeit with very little time to spare. The fort has never been abandoned - the lack of updates can be chalked to a lack of time and a relative lack of events.

When I saw this thread awakened to be inducted into the hall of legends however, all thoughts of idleness were eradicated by a sudden surge of gratitude. Thank you all m8ys for joining me on this stubborn Fort's continual war against the spidery forest. Sharing this bloated architectural monstrosity has been a labour of love, and I hope it has shown.

The Fortress is 60 years old now. One of the things I set out to determine was whether stone becomes mossy still after 50 years and... No, it seems no stones become mossy until your Fort is abandoned and reclaimed. 44 of the original migrants are alive, whilst the total Fort population sits at 153 Dwarves. We have numerous guests, including a dragon & a hydra whom we are both training to not devour Dwarves on sight. No breeding pairs of megabeasts are present, besides a giant and a giantess. I haven't attempted to run a giant dating site in my Fortress yet.

But first, a look into what the world looks like now! Using the glory of isoworld, I could run around and get up to date snaps of "The Universe of Forever." The only downside was I had to visit each locale personally in adventure mode, so it was excruciatingly time-consuming.

Well worth it, I think. My Dwarven neighbours here built a really beautiful bridge over a mountain valley river. This Dwarven city sits in the normal east side, a little way away from the evil of the spidery forest.

Exploring as a flying demigod-necromancer for the sake of speed, I had fun exploring the Spidery Forest and seeing all of the critters I have been fortunate to avoid. Raven men zombie flocks were an occasional sight.

As were flocks of giant raven corpses. According to legends there is a zombie dragon older than recorded history who was reanimated in the Spidery Forest - though I do not know where it is.

As a consequence of how old the Fort is, many times historical figures realise they are older than the max-age of their species and drop dead mid-battle.

If you somehow make it past the roaming flocks of undead and buzzing swarms of blood-bloated mosquitoes, you will find in the mountain passes a quiet hillswept valley. Atop the heights of these hills sits a lone structure, a tower 8 spans tall and fashioned from blocks of blue microcline. It's in stark contrast compared to the surrounding blood snow.

It stands alone with no neighbours besides a hill spring where three rivers are born, it is immensely defensible and stands unconquered by the beasts & citizens who dwell in its shadow.

I visited this tower with my tourist-adventurer, and sure enough was greeted by dozens of goblin & elf corpses, with one unique individual standing out from the rest.

This blue tower belongs to Sazir Razorbelt. There was something particularly sad in his tower, seeing all the books his students had written in their many conversations. Only Sazir remained. I left the necromancer commander in peace and continued on, charting the forests.

Progress in the Fortress of Silentthunders is steady. Four towers are nearly complete, whilst some of the more complex towers like the Tombspire and Moose Tower are finished. For the other two-dozen towers the scaffolding is nearly complete, and there are plans to build a tower atop the citadel.

Silentthunders in relation to the nearby city and hamlet. They both belong to another Dwarven civilisation, with whom our civilisation is on friendly terms.

Side by side comparison for scale

*EDIT: the difference 3 years makes:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:23:58 am by Loud Whispers »

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 28, 2020, 12:38:57 pm »

Awesome views in isoworld. Did you have to visit your own fortress in adventure mode as well?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32