Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 163079 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2015, 07:56:15 am »

And it wasn't even notable.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15:47 am »

It was going rather well until Dwarves started coughing up blood. Suspecting another Brine Flu outbreak; R. Iden, R. Erib, R. Kogan, Commander Zuntir and even Mestthos Windoranges were isolated. Before long it was determined that the syndrome they were afflicted with was far worse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Needless to say this is not good. In addition to that R. Urist Matchedquakes has suffered a broken foot and Captain Ber's right foot has been eaten by a flying tarantula; we've gotten some good progress done in Fortifying the place but we're losing too many Dwarves.
Captain Ber, Urist Matchedquakes and E.C. Zuntir are still in Hell, very injured. Once, or if they're covered, this season's hunts will take a moment to recuperate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More die; Captain Domas has also been found dead in hell. If I had to hazard a guess, it too was caused by this plague.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:44:29 am by Loud Whispers »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2015, 10:51:10 am »

Ouch. FB syndrome?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2015, 07:45:10 pm »

"Well Doctor, how's he doing?"
*doctor pulls out a chart, looks over it, realizes he can't read and tosses it over his shoulder*
'He's got some blisters.'
"Where?"
'Mostly everywhere, especially his lungs and eyes and brain.'
*they're both silent for a moment*
'Needless to say, this is not good.'

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2015, 09:49:19 pm »

This forum is literally the best DF story I have ever read, seriously. Exactly the right amount of backstory, exactly the right amount of explanation, strikes the right balance between practical behavior and whimsy. You sir are a bloody good writer!

Personally I've reached the point in DF where I find it difficult to be whimsical, I find myself caught up in a routine of practical, safe actions. I've really been enjoying Roomcarnage as a purely practical LP but compared to this it feels kinda clinical and sane.

This fort also has a nice blend of everything that makes DF great, !SCIENCE!,Drama,Brutality,!FUN!, Pride and Sillyness.
!SCIENCE! in the form of mentally bleaching and intentionally infecting migrants until they are sorrowful killing machines. Drama as the fort has gone on long enough that children are growing into full adults and having epic backstories. Brutality around every corner. !FUN! with obscenely powerful foes both living, dead and otherwise. Pride in legendary dwarves, masterwork crafts, and epic megaprojects. Sillyness because only a DF player would think to necromantically reanimate a girl's severed arm and display it in her room.

I applaud you sir and everything you stand for.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2015, 09:56:47 pm »

Nice, just noticed the self-referential sigging for the win! Engraved here is a rendition of a Loud Whispers quote, it menaces with spikes of satire and elf leather.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2015, 10:14:30 pm »

I have one question that I consider rather important. What exactly are right floating ribs and how exactly does one blister ribs? For the record they're right near the bottom of the list.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2015, 10:38:00 pm »

I have one question that I consider rather important. What exactly are right floating ribs and how exactly does one blister ribs? For the record they're right near the bottom of the list.
According to wikipedia, they're the bottom ribs of the ribcage. As for how they blister, dwarven physiology is the answer.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2015, 11:41:25 pm »

.... You know I know how detailed this game is but even I didn't expect it to actually label the ribs correctly. I should stop thinking that wouldn't be so because of some of the other things that I've seen ruined on dwarfs.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2015, 10:45:32 pm »

Some of these responses have got me laughing and happy inside, makes me want to throw more pigs into the magma pit; which I did do, though I intended for the pigs to kill the burning sauropod at the bottom of the pit. So far that's failed but we're still trying.

Spoiler: responses (click to show/hide)
And on that note of medical care, it's a sad thing to say, but Expedition Commander Zuntir, the last of the infected died. Zuntir put up one hell of a fight but there's just no way a Dwarf can survive that much organ failure. Still, I am hopeful - a lot of experience was gained, many Fortifications built and I've finally decided that direct military action is doomed to eventual failure as the demons have an infinite pool of demons from which one variety will eventually overcome the Dwarves' defences. Particularly harrowing was the fact that every time I killed one group of demons another would immediately reappear somewhere else.
The best news of all though, and one which keeps me happy through this - all three injured Dwarves that were left behind when the 2nd expedition left hell were recovered. It took a while and I was certain the demons would get to them, but the Dwarves sorted their shit out and rescued them. Captain Ber Shotsiege has fully recovered (it turns out all the doctors needed to do was give him a crutch to replace the foot that was bitten off by a tarantula demon), R. Atis Lancecalm has since been promoted to Expedition Commander Atis Lancecalm and is currently recovering from her broken skull and recent widowing (her husband was none other than the late and previous expedition commander Zuntir) while R. Urist Matchedquakes is receiving treatment for her broken foot - I'd be surprised if she didn't make it, we have thread, cloth, soap, splints and freshwater in abundance.
I wonder if the demon populations are actually infinite. They say that the fish populations are infinite too, yet they can still be fished to extinction.
I'm collating all the named critters that died in the corpse factory, next post should update on that.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2015, 02:31:35 am »

Yeah, the idea just popped in my head of him trying to read a chart when you summed up those injuries (Those injuries! Begone, fear!) with that line.

Hell is open on all sides to the rest of hell, and one sec (pulled up df and loaded a save, gui/gm-editor df.global.world.world_data.underground_regions, checked the last couple entries to confirm they were (2)Underworld, checked uh, I think it was feature_list and then features to find populations, which then lists the types of demons and sure enough pop min = 1000001 pop max = 1000001) so yeah, they're infinite for all intents and purposes.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2015, 04:49:25 am »

Has anyone ever managed to exhaust the demon horde (using DFhack to clear the deceased list, of course)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2015, 06:39:50 am »

Has anyone ever managed to exhaust the demon horde (using DFhack to clear the deceased list, of course)?
1. Demons are innumerable
2. That isn't a bug any more

So in Bastiongate, I've finally completed the first level of the Hell Bastion, therefore making hell safe against landbound demons. Only three deaths, all to my own stupidity.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2015, 07:31:13 am »

1000001≠infinity.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2015, 12:55:00 pm »

That is a min and max.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32