Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 160527 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 12:11:26 pm »

Another proof that undead are frikking overpowered in DF 0.40.

Nerf pls.
._.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 12:20:29 pm »

Noo!  I like my pulp zombies!  We just need to make them less . . . tough.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »

Nerf pls.

this

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 02:24:21 pm »

I remember that original thread and your other raven "incidents", and now I feel bad for thinking you were insane for having a feud with them.
Nothing is worse than ravens!
This is the ultimate utilization on our flying 'friends', it would be interesting if they got names for killing the demons.
Some of them already had names from having killed Dwarves and there are definitely some demons and ravens that got names from killing the named critters from both sides of the war. I engrave slabs for all named enemies killed in Silentthunders so soon I'll have a full list of all the beasts that died.
If that is okay with you, of course.
Of course!
Nerf pls.
They're .34 undead; it's proof ravens are abominations.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The war between the ravens and the demons still continues, it is being prolonged by the webber beetles also webbing all the other demons caught in the maelstrom. It has allowed us to extend the first spire down to the ground and fortify it so it is completely secure. Migrating demons interrupted construction a few times but were all put down.
Some of these demons have amazing attack range, more akin to siege engines than crossbows. So far no Dwarvs have been injured except for one Dwarven baby who was with Doc Onul Bloodmachine when she was hacking apart some Gila demons.
Asmel will survive, she was taken out of hell by her mother to recover (and it helps that her mother is one of the Fort's two professional doctors).
I also recovered her arm and had it reanimated so that when Asmel grows up she can admire her own arm in her bedroom.
The boar scout was found, the colonization team will attempt to recover his corpse and give it a proper burial when it arrives.
Demons seem intrigued by my construction, visitors frequently appear outside the stairway's exit point and linger for a few days before moving on.

Now that the spire is fully completed the colonization team will be ready to go. Seven Dwarves are being readied for the task to set up a permanent colony, a support team will ensure supplies of limestone and war materiel through a tunnel being dug from the grand stockpiles down to the spire.

Champion Z. Urist Uvash, elite marksdwarf will be on masonry duty.
He has killed many, many creatures in his life. He has fought in every single battle in Silentthunders in the front lines. He is the Fort's champion for a reason; alongside Baron Muthkat he is not just one of the toughest veterans of the Fort, he is also a highly skilled teacher. He will have to forgo teaching for a while and go once more to the frontlines.

Vabok Titans Dentedlashed, spearmaster will also be on masonry duty.
There are others who have killed more megabeasts and more creatures, but Vabok and Uvash were both blinded by the Forgotten Beast Esp and so will never cancel their duties to go off demon hunting because they cannot see whatever demon is out there attacking them. And should a demon ever try attacking them, aforementioned demon will likely be horribly murdered as these two do not mess around.

Expedition Commander Vabok will personally oversee the defence of the colony herself.
She bears the reputation of having held off great enemies in the Fort's past and I don't doubt she will do so here again. Any time an organic demon shows up she will poke it full of holes and cut its head off with either one of her two spears. One is an ornate iron one kept for sentimental reasons, the other is a priceless masterwork adamantine spear forged by Forge Master Olin. She is also bringing her husband along for the project.

Baron Muthkat, originally the second best marksdwarf in the entire Fortress, after Uvash was blinded officially became the most dangerous marksdwarf in the Fort.
He has also participated in every battle the Fort's had and has had numerous adventures, ranging from his legendary battle with the moose that cost him some of his teeth, fighting the undead raven swarm unleashed by an infiltrating necromancer which cost him a toe, shooting down an angry undead forgotten beast (and then eating some of it for dinner later) and is a peculiar character always mandating the construction of high boots (presumably the ravens snatching one of his toes has made him particularly paranoid to the dangers of foot injuries). He wears his symbols of office with pride; an artifact adamantine cloak, an artifact adamantine headscarf, an artifact adamantine glove, an artifact adamantine low boot and most importantly the artifact turban 'Silentmuddles,' his crown of glory. He will shoot down any demons which feel too safe in the air and render their so called 'advantage' meaningless.

Captain Nil Erith, the indomitable.
She is the Fort's expert on breaking things with hammers and in particular is the Captain of the Sacrificial Constructs, the Fort's hammerdwarf shocktroopers in charge of breaking undead. Her masterwork steel warhammer 'Bearchar' was forged by Forge Master Olin and has tasted many skulls, that is not to say she is without the ability to kill megabeasts. All hammerdwarves and macedwarves are crosstrained in axedwarfship so they are just as capable of bisecting large creatures as they are to cripple them. Fittingly, her masterwork adamantine battle axe forged by Olin has an impractically long name and has also killed many. Captain Erith will make sure that the undead are handled with warhammer precision.

The Fort will also for the fourth time in its 21 year history, if I recall correctly, be releasing the werecivets for war. They will patrol hell and hunt demons and undead that threaten the colony.
W.C. 002-05 Datan will be readied.
An elite macedwarf, knife user and also an expert axedwarf Datan has killed many things with his morningstar 'Wingbends' and his silver dagger 'Lusterdrill,' he has yet to use his adamantine battle axe (which was an Olin axe, passed down to 2nd Forge Master Urdim before her death). His shield, 'the master of flame' should keep him safe from being set on fire. The poor Dwarf has not been able to be with his wife for decades since she is one of the Fort's prized Forge Masters and he is a living weapon.

W.C. 002-01 Asmel will also be readied.
Asmel, mother of Kivish Scienceborn, in addition to being a highly skilled fighter with the same weapons as Datan is also the Fort's greatest unarmed combat fighter. She has yet to reach legendary biter, but she is close. She has the same weapons as Datan, a morningstar called 'Bulwarkdawns,' a silver dagger called 'the decline of joy' (Asmel is rarely happy these days outside of combat) and is learning fast how to kill things with axes.

Both Datan and Asmel took part in an experiment which tried to infect a number of Dwarves with the werecivet curse that afflicted the captured human Shastol Mongquaka. Half of them did not survive infection. One died from their wounds before the full moon. One was caught outside a containment zone when the full moon struck, killing one Dwarf from the Sacrificial Constructs before being taken down by Captain Nil Erith and killed. One went berserk and was killed by Asmel. Of the final surviving three Sigun could not handle being isolated from the Fort and picked a fight with Datan that Sigun did not win.
Datan and Asmel have endured something I never should have started to begin with. They have lost loved ones in more ways than one because of this experiment; these were Dwarves who I subjected to horrors purely because they were discardable migrants and now that I've known their stories it's honestly the only decision I've ever regretted making in Dwarf Fortress. They are honed killers who suffer no emotional trauma from war or tragedy, they have been driven to nihilism through their live training with the ravens (with such training being the reason why Sigun flipped) and they are forever cursed to be distant from their comrades or else risk bringing death on them both. They are living weapons because every full moon they transform into terrible creatures of the night, civets twisted into humanoid form that crave flesh and blood. This is their most valuable asset because it means that every wound they sustain heals every month. They do not die of thirst or hunger or go insane from fatigue, they are fully refreshed every month. Multiple times in their lives they have led suicidal charges, literally losing arms and legs to lead the way for the Fort (being the only Dwarves I've ever known to charge into a zombie horde supported by necromancers and live), have suffered horrible syndromes inflicted by forgotten beasts and gained mortal wounds numerous times in their lives. Asmel herself was shot in the head by Champion Uvash once during an accidental escape; the bolt broke her skull, but didn't pierce her brain. Datan's battle with Sigun was a duel to the death that left him with broken ribs and a punctured lung. They can be set on fire, crushed, severed and maimed, blinded and bruised - none of this matters as long as they live till the full moon. They are the only things in the Spidery Forest more dangerous than ravens and demons. I expect that once everyone has died from old age or whatever horror is next unleashed on Silentthunders, Datan or Asmel, maybe even both will still be standing.

Selecting these 7 colonists was easy. They are all wearing legendary masterworks and armed with the greatest weapons the Fort owns, many of them forged by the great Forge Master Olin, first Forge Master of the Fort and to date the only Dwarf in Silentthunders to have become legendary in all metalworking disciplines both before and after his sacrifice. They are all legendary in their primary weapon discipline and many are also experts or legendary in their secondary weapon disciplines. Champion Uvash, Baron Muthkat and Commander Vabok are all from the starting 7. Captain Nil Erith is from the 5th migrant wave, Titanslayer Vabok is from the 4th migrant wave and Datan and Asmel are from the second last migrant wave the Fort ever received, migrant wave 8. They will colonize hell on the day immediately after the full moon, giving time for Datan and Asmel to lead the way.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 04:04:45 pm »

Holy shit. I'd give them two days to sustain wounds, so that they'll have taken out more by the time they transform, but that's just me. Also, I just noticed the pun in the title. Nice one.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 05:37:49 pm »

:O :O :O :O

This is *amazing* :D :D :D
hamster cheese supplies are low

Tarkakagogue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 09:14:09 pm »

I am looking forward to reading of your legendary efforts.
This too shall pass.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 06:04:24 pm »

Any news from the hell colonists?

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 10:42:21 am »

PTW.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 02:38:13 pm »

Crows, you mean. A group of ravens is an 'unkindness' or 'conspiracy'.

;D

red_kangaroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 02:54:51 pm »

Also PTW!
My friends are all dead,
My right foot gone, but what a
Lovely waterfall.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 02:59:59 pm »

Wonderful thread.  D for Dwarf.

Crows, you mean. A group of ravens is an 'unkindness' or 'conspiracy'.

;D
This is correct.

mcbucko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 09:40:12 am »

Wow your werecivets have to be some of the coolest yet most tragic dwarves I have ever read about. You could at least chuck some booze at the poor saps ever once in a while though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 10:37:30 am »

Thanks for sharing this, I never would have expected this from ravens!  Even undead ones.
(Also posting to copy that drown-and-wash setup later...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 11:59:33 am »

Posting to watch the undead mayhem unfold.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32