Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 162813 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2015, 07:31:24 pm »

Highlights:
    • Champion of the corpse factory is definitely Mongrelflinched the Subordinate Crab of Clams. Full run down of all notable entities that had run ins with Mongrelflinched:

Demons that killed Mongrelflinched the Subordinate Crab of Clams:
    Eknarnethgon Gulgunzikath Zotir, Mothidaula, Kasithgenlath Thubiltinan, Yerefanatha Yathalethathi

Demons killed by Mongrelflinched the Subordinate Crab of Clams:
    Eliramenari, Etrularoth Zizesxac, Necatetharumi Reci Epipe, Oremelomifo

Demons that both killed and were eventually killed by Mongrelflinched the Subordinate Crab of Clams:
    Tathrujit Udma Muk, Rethinula, Thepatimi, Efilucovace, Ulingkudust Gemurnikot, Imerione Aquiyaanaya, Necatharumi Reci Epipe, Corowalolama Necate Asithi, Isirkulal Sholkikdesgir

I don't know where the Crab of Clams's corpse is, and I fear it may have been destroyed in hellfire as I didn't see any notable undead when I dropped in the second wave. Best case scenario is that my Dwarves have recovered the Crab of Clams's corpse and it's just lost in the bureaucratic mess of the grand stockpiles and the corpse stockpiles. I'll have to look into legends mode for the Crab of Clams. I wasn't even aware of an undead that powerful before I checked the gravestones. The Crab of Clams's corpse has been killed at least 13 times and killed at least 13 demons. A bloody good corpse as ever'll never be prepared again.

• Aspad Scorchingwar; a Forgotten Beast. It's unclear whether Aspad Scorchingwar did much, but Aspad Scorchingwar had one hell of a surname.
    • Throwlances, another Forgotten Beast. It killed Nilesurist and was killed and killed by both Uselgujeg and Etrularoth Zizesxac. I wonder what finally killed Throwlances. A good runner up to the Crab of Clams, as its kills were also not limited to named demons.
    • The zombie boar Angerkindled. IT KNOWS ONLY FIRE AND ANGER.
    • Efiuceyi Ecaniditari Vera, an enormous rattlesnake corpse with lidless eyes. It has a pair of branching antennae and it is slavering. Its sky blue scales are blocky and close-set. Beware its poisonous bite! One of the only surviving megabeast corpses that were used in the happy clown car fun time party; it was introduced later on and left early and is covered in pages of scars. It's remarkable that it has managed to take on so much punishment, it isn't properly dead yet and only killed nameless demons but its surviving makes it unique.
    • Ted Mogemetru, a gigantic feathered slug. It has wings and it has an austere look about it. Its gold feathers are downy. Beware its fire! I kinda forgot why or how I ended up having a golden fireslug corpse in my arsenal, but I do have one and I won't look a giftslug in the eye. One of its wounds is a broken heart, the other is a broken brain. All it wants is love, brains and to set all living things on fire.
    • The Raven corpse Chewedgallows, who flies up there with the Raven corpses Emeraldroses and Elbowinks for interesting names. Unlike Emeraldroses or Elbowinks, Chewedgallows enjoyed posthumous vengeance - after Chewedgallows attacked hell with a flock of its victorious brethren, Chewedgallows was eventually killed by a demon called Atacpaboz. Having killed Chewedgallows, Atacpaboz rose up and away from the burning husks below, flying into some webs that would entangle its wings just as it was flying over a glowing pit - Atacpaboz would then fall to its death far, far below.
    • The Weasel corpse Deathcats, that actually managed to kill several demons despite being the size of a weasel. I don't actually know what happened to Deathcats the weasel corpse, as my sole record of Deathcats is from the memorial of a demon killed by Deathcats. Not in my corpse stockpiles nor caged population, Deathcats was either killed by Dwarves or demons - or Deathcats escaped into the wilds, to terrorize the denizens of the Spidery Forest, the caverns and beyond.

Spoiler: Some thoughts (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • [CULL:SQUARE]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: April 19, 2015, 08:29:31 pm »

Ted the heartbroken goldslug is amazing. What the hell does Ted translate as?

Found it, human language, Clod Denearth.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • Master of the randomly generated
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: April 20, 2015, 02:13:59 pm »

Best FB name I've got is Stibmer Bleachbone. It was the first FB I managed to catch in a cage, I have three now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
    « Reply #123 on: April 20, 2015, 05:25:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
    A bee showed up in the 1st cavern layer.

Opened up all the hatches in the Rodemdome.

Emptying that

Into that

But this post actually has a point in addition to a bee sting.
    The burning quadraped in the quarry was finally crushed to death by a giant slab of schist that drove it 3 spans deep into semi-molten rock and copious amounts of magma, boiling loam and surprised imps. We'll finally be able to secure Necromancer Kogan and the spire corpse factory. I'm thinking; reanimated giant cave spider chitin sitting behind fortifications in a corridor full of 30 steel spikes and cage traps. Anything the traps don't get the spikes will, and whatever's left over will be dealt with by the Dorfs. Other than cage trap reloading it should all be completely automated. I think for FPS reasons however, I'll use a smaller corridor in the Hell outpost - better that the demons path to the inner Fort than the surface world. It's riskier but makes things go faster.

Ted the heartbroken goldslug is amazing. What the hell does Ted translate as?
    Found it, human language, Clod Denearth.
    I could give it its own earthen den. There's an old abandoned graveyard that's taking up lots of space and doing not much else.

Also Flame, how did you keep demons from reappearing whilst you went about constructing the walls of Bastiongate? You mentioned a trap?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • Master of the randomly generated
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: April 20, 2015, 05:42:42 pm »

I used a tundra titan bone cabinet to lure some demons behind a drawbridge, which I then closed. No more demons have come in off the edges since then. I think I actually trapped two groups of the same kind of demon, though.

My only five casualties from this whole project were three dwarves I killed out of my own stupidity, one dwarf that died from his own stupidity before hell was secure, and another that I used as a sacrifice to open hell.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
    • Knight of Cerebus
      • View Profile
    « Reply #125 on: May 17, 2015, 02:17:14 am »

This fort is pure, crystallized win. I very much hope you intend to keep this up.
    Muh FG--OOC Thread
    Quote from: smirk
    Quote from: Shadowlord
    Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
    Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
    http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: May 17, 2015, 03:41:54 am »

Wait. So you'reconquering hell but can't take on a siege? Release a demon into the overworld and see how long it takes to get killed. Should damage the siegers.
    Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
    Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
    • Knight of Cerebus
      • View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: May 17, 2015, 12:47:28 pm »

The issue is that it's a necromancer sneaking somewhere, and by now it's probably Legendary +25 Ambushing, and they never starve or get thirsty or get tired or get sad, and they keep anything from staying dead, so while he could probably deal with the zombies alone, the necromancer's hard to deal with, even for the Legions of !!Fun!!.
    Muh FG--OOC Thread
    Quote from: smirk
    Quote from: Shadowlord
    Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
    Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
    http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • Slowly descending into madness
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: May 17, 2015, 01:36:51 pm »

Not to mention that a demon being raised from the dead would probably replace whatever threats it eliminated immediately...

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: May 17, 2015, 01:43:20 pm »

Luckily, demons can't be reanimated. But really, just flood the map with lava and it'll kill the necro if he's on the surface. Then you can route out anything left underground by using lots and lots of water to flood them off the map.
    And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
    ...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
    Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: May 17, 2015, 03:02:21 pm »

sweep the entire map with dwarf or animals?
    Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
    Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
    « Reply #131 on: May 18, 2015, 06:22:33 am »

This fort is pure, crystallized win. I very much hope you intend to keep this up.
    Cheers! I do indeed, though kinda busy at the moment.

Wait. So you'reconquering hell but can't take on a siege? Release a demon into the overworld and see how long it takes to get killed. Should damage the siegers.
    I've so far killed every corpse sent, and of the Necromancers sent:
    • Two died of injuries sustained from a falling boulder released by a stone trap. (One of them called Asmel Basementline I find is especially notable for having written a book called "The Common Sense Book." Could have come in handy.
    • Three are prisoners of war in Silentthunders.
    • Four died in battle.
    • One died in ice.
    • One was executed by being fed to Kubuk the giant desert war scorpion.
    • One was murdered by Deler Meanflute in revenge for having killed his wife. (He was a prisoner of war being moved to more comfortable accommodations. Deler Meanflute was the jailer moving him to his room. Things did not end up well).

That's all of the Necromancers of the Bells of Amusement.
    ... All except one. The very first necromancer of "the Bells of Amusement." That one is unaccounted for.

The issue is that it's a necromancer sneaking somewhere, and by now it's probably Legendary +25 Ambushing, and they never starve or get thirsty or get tired or get sad, and they keep anything from staying dead, so while he could probably deal with the zombies alone, the necromancer's hard to deal with, even for the Legions of !!Fun!!.
    Luckily, demons can't be reanimated. But really, just flood the map with lava and it'll kill the necro if he's on the surface. Then you can route out anything left underground by using lots and lots of water to flood them off the map.
    sweep the entire map with dwarf or animals?
    The thing is, I'm not even sure the Necromancer IS in my map. Several times I've swept the overworld with the full military, left piles of corpses scattered around everywhere, littered the hallways with cage traps... Nothing to show for it. There are two possibilities I see: Sazir Razorbelts, the Primordial Necromancer, has either yet to come - or is trapped in some dark corridor or mine underground, unknown and forgotten with no chance of discovery. This is nearly impossible, and Sazir is most likely just waiting in the necromancer tower off in the depths of the spidery forest. Flooding is entertaining, but to open up flooding to everywhere would be hard. On the surface much work would have to be done to protect the wall spikes and roads, below ground the engravings, metal ore veins and Dwarves would be at risk. Burning the house down to kill a single termite that may not actually be there, while Dwarfy, opens up the house ruins to dissection by termites.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:10 am »

I think this is one of those times when using DFHack or similar is acceptable, if only to find the goddamn necro.
    And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
    ...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
    Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
    • full of stars
      • View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: May 18, 2015, 10:46:33 am »

I think this is one of those times when using DFHack or similar is acceptable, if only to find the goddamn necro.
    An eternal unbreakable siege by undead adds flavor to a fort though. Don't think LW gets migrants anymore even if the siege was lifted.
    Steam ID: Spehss Cat
    Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
      • View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: May 18, 2015, 09:39:31 pm »

You're still doing Holy Work, LW.

Make me want to play again it does.  But 34.11, where combat felt epic.
    Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
    drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
    PKs DF Mod!
    Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32