Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 160543 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2015, 01:55:24 am »

@Loud Whispers

What is your FPS for this fortress?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2015, 07:22:00 am »

Read it all. You, sir, are now my idol in matters of Dwarf Fortress. Ptw. Incredible.
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2015, 08:56:50 am »

Also, it turned out I had a misdiagnosis problem, only one of the supposedly infected dwarves actually was, and killed three of the others when he changed. The surviving other, one Vutok, managed to kill him without becoming infected himself, and is now my militia commander.
The bite has to tear the skin, a bite that only bruises but doesn't break skin will do nothing. It was perhaps, for the best, that the infected one died.

Read it all. You, sir, are now my idol in matters of Dwarf Fortress. Ptw. Incredible.
Thank you in kind good sir!

@Loud Whispers

What is your FPS for this fortress?
Solid 3 whole FPS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Baron got into a fistfight with none other than his old friend Uvash. Muthkat is probably one of the few Dwarves who could get away with doing that and not wind up killed by Uvash. I was worried for a moment that Muthkat was going to go over the edge, and I was going to have to deal with a legendary warlord, but thankfully this fight pushed him in the right direction (he is now unhappy, as opposed to miserable). Uvash is ecstatic after talking to a friend. Muthkat enjoyed starting a fist fight recently.
Ah, friendship.

Eagle chicks hatched, guaranteeing their survival for at least another generation; I was getting worried, eagle breeding is harder than it would seem.

Also some shrew fiends may be foiling my plans; these are the devils whose syndromes cause every tissue layer and organ to blister uncontrollably, and they will not take any bacon bait into the trapped corridor. It is to be expected that a shrew fiend is shrewd.

I also just realized I have DF hack, so I can check the wildlife populations. It is illuminating.
Plants are all innumerable, no surprise there. The rest of my region's notable animal populations are:

Has anyone mentioned that you've adopted a rather mournful, nostalgic tone?  I mean, I half-wanted to slam back a bottle of (dwarven) rum and pine for the good ol' days...
His writing has both improved and gotten sadder. It's a stylistic thing, at least for me.
I cannot help but feel the same way I felt when I realized the living world was never going to come back to Silentthunders, and that the only things my Dwarves would see forever was the dead. A defining moment, the instant when a Fortress enters a new era. And then I see the pieces of armour, the hammer called bearchar just lying in the slade... Remnants of legendary Dwarves who I saw spend their lives defending a fledgling outpost that grew to be an Atlantean Metropolis. And then the bodies of these heroes are sealed away in their tombs and a solitary slab lay down in the Memorial Broke detailing who they were and what they died for, I realize just how unbelievable their lives were, and how they must seem like myths to the youngest Dwarven children, born long after Silentthunders ceased to have contact with the outside world. In many respects much of this feels mythical even to me, to just think that all of this has happened here and all the things the little Urists have gone through. And then the weapons and armour of the old are passed down to the young, the Fort keeps on moving on and an unprecedented peace falls upon the land. Less than half of the 173 Dwarves in Silentthunders right now were not born in Silentthunders, and as the oldest die that number will continue to fall, until all that remains of the elders are the walls and works they made, and the dead of the foes they killed.

The next generation should get to enjoy unprecedented industry, free from most of the endless struggles that plagued their elders. But as time goes on, it feels more and more like the Fort of the past is just as much a foreign place as any other place than here.
It should be interesting to see where the Fort will go now. Eventually nostalgia will lie with the last of the elders, the future fast approaches and the past will be nevermore. We build the Colosseum, then we fight in it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2015, 09:58:51 am »

After much trial and error in Bastiongate, I figured out how to breed egg-layers effectively.

1. Pasture males and females in an area with nest boxes.
2. The females will lay eggs immediately. These eggs are sterile. Dump them or otherwise move them.
3. Wait. The females will lay more eggs later. These eggs are fertile. Leave them be.
4. Hatchlings!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2015, 10:10:58 am »

After much trial and error in Bastiongate, I figured out how to breed egg-layers effectively.

1. Pasture males and females in an area with nest boxes.
2. The females will lay eggs immediately. These eggs are sterile. Dump them or otherwise move them.
3. Wait. The females will lay more eggs later. These eggs are fertile. Leave them be.
4. Hatchlings!

I have a more complicated method, for domestic fowl, but it seems to work.

1. I excavate a room with excess space, but a row of two-tile-deep alcoves in the wall.  One tile door, and one tile nest box. 
2. I draw a pasture zone for each individual female that extends from the nest box to the general area, a few tiles deep into the general area. 
3. I draw a pasture zone for the male(s), which covers the area where all the females of that species can walk out of their nest box rooms.
4. I set the nests themselves to be outside the burrow of my general hauling dwarves.  You can lock the doors, but that keeps the fowl out, as well, which doesn't help. 
5. Female egg-layers will stay on their nest box when they lay eggs, so check in on them once a month.  If they aren't producing any chicks, expand the burrow so dwarves can come take the eggs.
6. Have a cage ready for the turkeysplosion.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:46:14 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2015, 10:15:22 am »

Erm... TheFlame52... Stray Troglodyte (Tame)?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2015, 10:16:59 am »

Bastiongate has a lot of mods, some of them post-gen. Tame trogs are one of them. Another is child states for many cavern creatures.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 23, 2015, 03:15:42 pm »

Ain't no party like a troglodyte party because a troglodye party lacks floor space.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »

Actually, he was chained up.

It should be an atrocity to lock up a blameless creature that has the intellect to party.

I know this, as my CMD kept trying to start parties from prison.`  ::)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159 on: May 23, 2015, 04:49:18 pm »

Ain't no party like a troglodyte party because a troglodye party lacks floor space.
TROGLODYTE PARTY ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY

Baron Muthkat just destroyed a lever and there's mechanisms everywhere. I checked the note for it, it says 'release the FBs.' I'm mostly certain this is a historical lever, so false alarm. Still, his mental condition has deteriorated, and I am alarmed as to how he was 1 tile off the necromancer release mechanism. He's just standing outside the hallway of the old kennel, refusing to run off and get a drink even though he's thirsty. I've never seen a sane Dwarf refuse a good drink... I may take away his ammunition at this rate.
Wait, Uvash has gone to talk to him again. This should be interesting.

Raven
Ravens are relatively benign birds that appear in flocks in most biomes.
In combat, they are unable to deal any significant damage to anything with so much as clothes on.

Heheheheheheh

My Fort's weapons are imbued with the power of fathomless feels.

And we're getting somewhere. Two shrew fiends are immobile on the frontier. I can't really do anything about them. Still trying to deal with the Muthkat issue. Maybe if I have him kill a bunch of rutherers his mood will improve, vent some of that anguish.
Just checked the shrew fiend cage. It's irretrievable, the shrew fiend still vents poisonous vapours through the cage. I will have it destroyed. Maybe have one of the werecivet dwarves pick it up, or just fling it via bridge into a glowing pit. Perhaps I'll just leave it in the corridor and seal the corridor up.

Actually, he was chained up.
It should be an atrocity to lock up a blameless creature that has the intellect to party.
I know this, as my CMD kept trying to start parties from prison.`  ::)
PRISON PARTY DEFINITELY MANDATORY

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 23, 2015, 05:02:26 pm »

Given the posts about how the fort is moving on, I think it would be appropriate to build a history museum or something.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2015, 06:42:08 pm »

So, uh, bruising wounds don't count, you say?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 23, 2015, 06:48:21 pm »

Should I make a similar post about Bastiongate? It's fairly historical, but my save is corrupted. I do have a backup but it's a year old and the fort is abandoned.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2015, 07:07:03 pm »

Given the posts about how the fort is moving on, I think it would be appropriate to build a history museum or something.
It's in the planning stage. Got a good idea of what I want to make, but I'm still thinking about where it should go.
It'll either be:
  • In the skies. Takes lots of construction material to do, would be arduous, but would be rather awesome.
  • Atop the citadel or the hive. Probably easiest place to do this, as construction would have to occur here anyways.
  • In the grand stockpiles. Some renovation would have to take place, but doable.
  • Underground somewhere. Would require much digging.
  • 1st Cavern Layer. Currently unused by much, mostly just full of flood water.
  • Hell. Lots of open space, lots of slade, historical significance. Cons: Is in hell.
So, uh, bruising wounds don't count, you say?
It's not that bruising wounds don't count, it's that only bite wounds which tear through the skin count. You've got to monitor fight logs as they happen and quickly mark down any Dwarves that have been successfully bloodied by a bite. If the werecreature bites and then uses the action to "shake Urist by the x with its teeth" that is a guaranteed infected Dwarf. Fair chance it'll also be a dead Dwarf, but you never know.

Should I make a similar post about Bastiongate? It's fairly historical, but my save is corrupted. I do have a backup but it's a year old and the fort is abandoned.
Why not? I know the coarse details of Bastiongate, but I never really heard you say the full story.

In other news I have locked Uvash and Muthkat in the old booze stockpile. Drinking, friendship and memories of the past should cheer the poor Baron up, and if it doesn't, there's not much else that can be done.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2015, 07:44:03 pm »

...Hmm. Well, I may have a problem. ...Gimme a minute.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32