Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 163069 times)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2015, 05:50:24 am »

Yes, only, sometimes, it doesn't. At least for my hilariously !!shitty!! computers.
You should try extinguishing your computer, they tend to work better that way.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2015, 02:16:21 pm »

Y'know, I hadn't thought of that... Crap. *Runs for fire extinguisher*
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2015, 07:37:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Silentthunders awoke to life in the overworld once more, disgruntled workers fashioning a limestone cover under the ruby glare of the blood sun. For many, standing atop the Citadel's great Fortifications was more than enough sunlight they needed for the next 10 decades. The bustle of Metropolitan life...
...Was briefly interrupted by an attack of the elf corpses, but by this point the elf corpses had been long incorporated into the annual routines of Silentthunders life, and Dwarves would happily work above and below the walls, even partying and dining whilst marksdwarves patrolled the gatehouses and walls killing elves. When the elf corpses were all killed and the patrols discovered no necromancers or elves, the all-clear alert was announced and the citizens went about resetting deadly mechanisms, melting recovered bolts and hauling elf corpses out of corridors.
Even in spite of all the haulers working non-stop to dump corpses and shoddy-quality finished goods down the magma piston, the corpse stockpile was finally completely smothered in corpses and a terrible hamster infestation. (Dead hamsters even clogged up one of the interior doorways).

Time passed with relative peace, with the Fort's gladiatorial game growing to encompass and test even the youngest of recruits, albeit they had much to learn and tended to rely more on their good strength than any skill. The Military was the largest it had ever been, so when the Forgotten Beasts attempted their ascension the Fortress was confident enough in its arms and armour to include a dozen untested soldiers to help them get some fighting experience against a worthy foe. Three Forgotten Beasts were assaulting the Quarry at three different points. The first was Yinathi, the six-legged pangolin that spat out webs. The marksdwarves let off several volleys, with the elite marksdwarves disabling one of Yinathi's legs to give the new recruits a better chance of surviving. The new axedwarves made a terrible work with their battleaxes, hacking and swinging away, they could not do more than tear and dent Yinathi's jagged heliotrope scales. With the new recruits getting caught up in the Pangolin's thick webbings, the older veterans moved in to save their skins so they could live to learn these lessons. Captain Litast Brightoars ducked under Yinathi's grasping legs and ran right into the Pangolin's side, driving his unnatural sword through its unprotected armpit, puncturing a lung. Yinathi was understandably quite angry at this sudden predicament, and attempted to bite Captain Litast in half; Captain Litast drove his sword through Yinathi's skull before it could turn around.
And that's how Nitemuling, or Visioncraze, first earned her first blood. One of the Fort's only two artifact weapons, the other being an ornamental artifact blowdart; Visioncraze is the only artifact weapon of real use. And right now she is wielded by Captain Litast, the Fort's greatest swordsdwarf, and at that time she was embedded in a giant Pangolin's skull.
Captain Litast withdrew with the rest of the axedwarves and hammerdwarves to the Hospital Barracks whilst the marksdwarves relocated to the Quarry Spire. Two more Forgotten Beasts were attacking, both could fly and one webbed whilst the other had some horrible plague contained within its blood. Not exactly safe for melee combat, to be sure.

The Marksdwarves waited in the top level for the first to arrive, whilst the second was still flying from the 2nd cavern layer. Baron Muthkat would give them the signal, before they did the Fortress proud.

Beneath them, a towering bushtit with a broad shell and mauve feathers landed on the former bee prisons. The bees had been moved out of fear of this very situation happening, but some fallen honeycombs still remained, as did the prison cells. The bushtit must have been attracted to the sweet honey, and did not notice the wall of steel wasps flying towards it until it was too late. It didn't die outright, as its shell was quite tough, but its legs and wings were immobilized to such an extent that it was effectively trapped in the prison (quite fitting, really).
The other one, the webber - she got close. She actually made it to the edge of the Quarry ring, unfortunately for her she chose the wrong side to try and leave from. Her left wing was broken, but she still kept on flying up with her other wing all on its own. Right before she could fly out and begin terrorizing the overworld, one of the Marksdwarves clipped her right wing.
She landed on her head. There was not a pretty corpse left over to carry away into the stockpiles.

The Dwarves returned to the Fortifications, content that the threat was dealt with until the Forgotten Beasts next got antsy again.
*They did forget about the bushtit however, which is now currently roaming the lower platform by the magma sea whilst on fire.

Then they attacked again.

I was quite overjoyed, as it meant I got to test out the new fortifications. Copper axeblades and cage traps worked wonders, yielding many body parts and corpses for the gladiatorial fights. Not only that, but the ballista was also readied and fired.
Of course what I hadn't realized was that my siege engineers were quite unskilled with operating ballista, as they were a recent addition to the Fort's defences. It was to my utter dismay that a ☼1500 steel bolt that had taken several days to manufacture flew wide off the mark, killing no corpses and breaking apart against the wall. A disappointing first shot, the siege engineers were then given a firing range to begin practicing at once in preparation of future battles.
Just as before, the all-clear was given and the Dwarves returned to normal life until the next big attack.

I also mentioned this before somewhere else, that whilst knocking down an old wall segment to give room for the ballista, I was absolutely startled by a pig skeleton falling through onto the poor children below. I did not know how that got there or how long it was there, nor how I did not see it all this time. It seems some poor pig got sealed up inside the walls a long time ago. It made me begin searching for other skeletons throughout the Fortress. There are a bunch of elf limbs stuck in fortifications, Troglodyte and Troll skeletons outside the Dining Hall Fortress, a few pig skeletons and megabeast skeletons slumped outside the memorial above the hospital and rather oddly, there is a named ogre skeleton (I think it's an ogre skeleton, quite unclear) in one room within the citadel. I don't even remember ogres being in Silentthunders.

I was also perturbed by the absence of a great big living skeleton... Thing. It was a giant flesh blob worm beast called Budam, that had wings and expelled noxious fumes - it was killed whilst defending the magma forges with a single bolt right to the brain. Its corpse fell into the waters, where it came back to life. There it remained eating fish, swimming about, probably believing it was a fish itself (it did take a fatal bolt to the brain after all).
Budam remained there for decades, and it sort of became an old past time to watch the noxious fumes bubble up from the surface. I like to imagine that all the Dwarves who went on break and stood on the Fortifications just to watch Budam were throwing scraps of bacon into the waters to witness this gargantuan dark presence in the water firsthand.
Then Budam was gone. Not even a corpse remained.
All I could tell was that a magma crab had recently been caught in the 3rd cavern layer traps (magma crabs had never until then ever been seen outside of the magma sea), and there was a particularly battered rattlesnake made out of grime swimming around in the upper reaches of the 3rd cavern lake.
If I had to hazard a guess, the crab set her on fire whilst the rattlesnake finished the job. This time around when Budam died, she was on land, and on fire. There'd be no coming back and there'd be no trace of her.
RIP Budam, she's eating cave lobsters in a better place now.

The demon known as the unseen water has been successfully moved to the prison. We are that much closer to colonization.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2015, 11:00:38 am »

1. How old is Silentthunders?
2. Why is Silentthunders so much more interesting than Bastiongate?
3. How much game time did this update cover?

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 24, 2015, 12:33:32 am »

So, given the large number of skeletons recently found in the closets of your fortress, could it be possible for Sazir the sneaky necromancer to be trapped somewhere in the fort too ? That would be hilarious if it turned out that you inadvertently immured alive one of the most ancient and most dangerous being in the world while he was trying to destroy you.

PTW, by the way.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:35:12 am by Zac »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #245 on: July 25, 2015, 08:34:51 pm »

There have been more undead elf assaults, nothing out of the ordinary. There are more elf corpses lying around but they don't seem too fond of getting back up, so other than looking messy they're not much of a problem as standard corpses. I've even started to look forward to their sieges, gives me more elf corpses to harvest, ones that haven't started to rot. Perfect for the fights! And the Fortress has gotten quite efficient with dealing with them.
Besides the revolt in the Corpse Factory, the Fortress is in more or less healthy shape. Food stores are decreasing, but I wonder if that's a consequence of the mass breweries I've set up using up food stores. I may have to tone down on booze production as I've got just 20k booze stocks and only 6.5k crop stock, with siege management the logistics is just as important as walls and warriors. Maybe this is a sign I should process more animals.

Which does make the corpse factory revolt a slight issue.
Monal Dressdate, the Human Animal Dissector/Necromancer of the Bells of Amusement has, like her two peers, been a guest of the Dwarves of Silentthunders for quite some time. Just as the Dwarf Necromancer Kogan operated the Spire Corpse Factory which demolished the armies of hell, Monal Dressdate the Dissector was used to process bacon and war corpses in the Dining Fortress complex.
Given the recent slowdown in processing, Monal Dressdate probably guessed she was going to be put back in her box like Kogan or Nastrisp. I don't think the Necromancers like being put in their boxes.
Anyways, Monal brought a cave spider corpse (in good condition, besides some smashed/dented legs the corpse isn't that rotten) back to unlife but instead of the spider running into the traps it broke down the reinforced windows, killed the attack boars and Monal brought the war boars back to life too. Now they're tearing everything apart within the factory and Monal refuses to get back in her box.
I should not have given her the spider. As far as damage control goes I don't think Monal can do too much damage, the Dining Fortress is well fortified since the last time an undead spiral nearly erupted in the eagle dens, though in the Rutherer training zone and the Corpse collection area are a pile of cavern corpses (dead ones) which could become a slight problem should Monal find a way out. Mostly I'm just worried for Monal's safety, as she should really just get back in her box before she gets hurt by a soldier of the Pleated Stakes or Sacrificial Constructs. Alas, she does not want to go back in her box. Kogan got back in his box, I don't see what the big deal is. Does she want a bigger box? The forge masters have already made bigger boxes.
In the mean time I think I may just have to butcher the livestock the regular way without necromantic wizardry.

1. How old is Silentthunders?
The Fort's gone past its 3rd decade of life now!

2. Why is Silentthunders so much more interesting than Bastiongate?
Some unusual circumstances, random chance and rules coalesced to make some interesting stories. But looking over Bastiongate the single best piece of advice I can give is this; if you've not got a wealth of posts or notes detailing what has happened in your Fort then some day you'll forget. Another thing to do is neurotically screencap anything of interest to jog your memory later, and if there's enough to write you can then pick the best and leave out the rest. A lot of times a Fortress is interesting, but the interesting bits are missing - that's why I was asking about Bastiongate's history and the like, because there's always stuff there.

3. How much game time did this update cover?
I haven't been keeping track, but I'd guess a few years, anywhere between 2-4 years.

So, given the large number of skeletons recently found in the closets of your fortress, could it be possible for Sazir the sneaky necromancer to be trapped somewhere in the fort too ? That would be hilarious if it turned out that you inadvertently immured alive one of the most ancient and most dangerous being in the world while he was trying to destroy you.

...!

Oh no.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2015, 03:52:30 pm »

I should not have given her the spider.
There are many things you post which cause me to wonder "what in the 9 hells is LW smoking, and where can I get some, cause it sounds dank?"

Setting aside the eagle dens, rutherer cages, dining fortress, or piles of corpses you forgot about. Even overlooking the fun of deconstructing things and having bodies fall out.

Some sort of rotting and potentially dangerous jack-in-the-box, if you will.

The kind of mind that comes up with necrobacon and using demons to deal with his burgeoning raven corpse stockpiles can be forgiven for odd quirks at times.

Yet I remain at a loss to figure out in what context you would ever conclude that letting a necromancer have a GCS corpse as a pet was a good idea.

Csponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 26, 2015, 07:32:20 pm »

So... What happens if you necro-revive a werebeast corpse, transformed or un-transformed? I ask here because LW is probably the only one capable, or crazy enough to try, despite ethical qualms.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 26, 2015, 07:34:25 pm »

well that sounds like !!FUN!!... also what the !!F!! are you smoking L.W.?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2015, 08:51:00 pm »

Setting aside the eagle dens, rutherer cages, dining fortress, or piles of corpses you forgot about. Even overlooking the fun of deconstructing things and having bodies fall out.
Some sort of rotting and potentially dangerous jack-in-the-box, if you will.
The kind of mind that comes up with necrobacon and using demons to deal with his burgeoning raven corpse stockpiles can be forgiven for odd quirks at times.
Yet I remain at a loss to figure out in what context you would ever conclude that letting a necromancer have a GCS corpse as a pet was a good idea.
It was 3AM, there was a massive thunderstorm sweeping through the lands outside my windows and the flashes revealed the forms of people fighting amidst the torrential downpour. I was listening to people breathing through gas masks, haunting screams, the patter of rain and British accents from Swindon, which makes more sense in context when it's dark and you're trying to spook yourself. I ordered Sheila's body to be dumped into the chambre and forgot about it until she had broken through the windows and started eating the war boars, who promptly also got back up. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and at the very least Sheila never leaves Monal's side so it kinda worked as intended if you ignore the bit where the guard pigs all died. It was supposed to be that Sheila put herself in a box and then Monal would go back in the box but no one wants to go back in their boxes.

well that sounds like !!FUN!!... also what the !!F!! are you smoking L.W.?
I should not have given her the spider.
There are many things you post which cause me to wonder "what in the 9 hells is LW smoking, and where can I get some, cause it sounds dank?"
rope reed blaze it
Rope reed is for socks and river vodkas only

So... What happens if you necro-revive a werebeast corpse, transformed or un-transformed? I ask here because LW is probably the only one capable, or crazy enough to try, despite ethical qualms.
Well I actually do have a corpse for just the occasion!

For some reason my Dwarves refused to bury Datan's corpse. Not to be confused with Datan 002-05 who picked a fight with one of the other werecivets and got killed for it, Datan 002-06 was successfully infected but one day was out and about outside the containment area (back when were-civet accommodations were quite nice and free from all but the most necessary restrictions). Unfortunately for the Fortress Datan 002-06 was outside in the stockpiles when the full moon hit, the booze in her flask undrunk and the thirst in her brain for blood without measure. One of the Hammerdwarves of the Sacrificial Constructs was there picking up some of his uniform, but as this was before the Dwarves were all experienced veterans this Dwarf had his throat ripped open and bled to death shortly after. Datan 002-06 was then killed by the remaining members of the Sacrificial Constructs; it was hoped they could injure Datan enough without killing her but that was easier said than done. Datan 002-06 was brained with a steel warhammer. Her corpse was hauled to the refuse stockpile, most interesting to me though was that her corpse transformed back into a Dwarven one when the full moon ended. Her corpse changed from that of a dead night creature to that of a dead berserk dwarf or adventurer. Despite being dead, in the refuse stockpiles and being a dwarven corpse all of the Dwarves refused to bury her corpse. She was given a gravestone and an empty tomb, but apparently the savagery inflicted upon that Dwarf was a bit too much.
Her corpse, left unburied for decades, was thrown in through the top of the increasingly vandalized processing factory.
There's just no rest for poor Datan's corpse, at least her spirit is at peace. From what I can discern from the wall of missing tissue layers and limbs, all that remains of her corpse is a skeleton with a few dried husks of organs, like a bruised lung curiously exposed within a dry ribcage.
That settles the question on that. There's more that can be done though, I think I'm going to try and create some were-opposums out of some humans (I have one were-opposum whilst the Fortress strain I've been otherwise exclusively using has been were-civetism). I should then be able to dump one of the were-opposums down in the friendly spider happy zone with some additional friends during the full moon to see what happens with a fresh and transformed corpse.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2015, 10:28:09 pm »

are you sure you aren't using all your dwarves coke your self?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Csponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2015, 11:01:34 pm »

Hmm.. I'm glad that my curiosity has been sated, however I was hoping it would still transform every full moon. I was having wild thoughts of what should happen should you cut its arms or legs off before a full moon and have them all animated at the time. Perhaps LW would be the first to discover un-dead were-creature cloning magic. It seems my dreams of science have fallen short  ::)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2015, 12:17:59 am »

Posting to watch.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2015, 12:39:16 am »

I hold out hopes that it breaks something amazing when you kill a werebeast and reanimate them during the full moon, leading to permabeastzombies.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2015, 02:42:20 am »

I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that it is possible for reanimated limbs of werecreatures to regenerate into full creatures. Adventure mode would seem to be the best way to test this, if it's possible to 1) become a were-creature, 2) get a limb chopped off without dying, and 3) become a necromancer to test the theory.

It may also have had something to do with husking clouds. I can't remember.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32