Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 160289 times)

Csponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #255 on: July 27, 2015, 03:01:34 am »

Jesus... I keep thinking this might lead to a 'mutually assured destruction' type scenario of df... The ultimate weapon.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2015, 03:08:19 am »

That sounds utterly horrifying. There must be !!SCIENCE!!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2015, 07:00:12 am »

Hmm.. I'm glad that my curiosity has been sated, however I was hoping it would still transform every full moon. I was having wild thoughts of what should happen should you cut its arms or legs off before a full moon and have them all animated at the time. Perhaps LW would be the first to discover un-dead were-creature cloning magic. It seems my dreams of science have fallen short  ::)
Now I couldn't find the first thread that noticed this (unfortunate, as it had screencaps of the werebeasts steadily multiplying and taking over the overworld), but I did find the next best thing in this thread. It was a bug early on when evil biomes were first starting to become really evil. I think Toady fixed it, so that the curse goes away upon death. If I had to guess what will happen, either the were-beast corpse will not reanimate until it reverts to humanoid form or it will, but will transform back into a humanoid form and upon the next full moon not transform back into a were-beast. This is one of those bugs I want to find some way to put back into my games, as a were-creature blender/cloning device is on my to-do list but is currently impossible as far as corpse cloning goes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 27, 2015, 02:19:44 pm »

"This way we have the were-blender cloning machine."
'Wait, you mean a cloning machine which was bitten by a were-blender-'
"Well, no, you see-"
'Or a machine for cloning were-blenders-
"Again, that isn't quite-"
'Or-...'
"Stop, enough shtick, please. It's just a machine for cutting werebeasts into chunks so we can reanimate the pieces after they transform into complete forms of the original race when the full moon ends."
'Well you should have said that in the first place.'

Funkmaster Rick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 27, 2015, 08:18:50 pm »

Sir, this thread has given me a literary erection.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2015, 09:46:43 pm »

"This way we have the were-blender cloning machine."
'Wait, you mean a cloning machine which was bitten by a were-blender-'
"Well, no, you see-"
'Or a machine for cloning were-blenders-
"Again, that isn't quite-"
'Or-...'
"Stop, enough shtick, please. It's just a machine for cutting werebeasts into chunks so we can reanimate the pieces after they transform into complete forms of the original race when the full moon ends."
'Well you should have said that in the first place.'
"Just so we're clear, this doesn't have anything to do with blending werebeasts into smoothies?"
'No'
"And there's no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching"
'Not yet'

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #261 on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:33 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I fired up DFhack to force a siege. I lacked goblins and elves so it had to be a human siege, it just so happened to be that the humans were led by the "goddess" Eslo, who in truth was the Rose-Taupe demon Slevina. The Dwarves planned to one day wage war on the humans just to kill Slevina, and in the year of 444 that war began.
Two human sieges were forced, one in the East consisting of Pikemen, one in the West consisting of Hammermen and Lashers mounted on various giant beasts ranging from a Giant Snail (a symbol of Eslo), Grizzly Bears, War Lions, Giant Mosquitoes, Giant Ticks, Giant Thrips and other such savage creatures. There was also a hunting pack of War Lions in the south that the humans just unleashed to cause wild havoc.
A living enemy had at last reached Silentthunders in force.
Slevina's administrators were skilled and her army even moreso, they had spent hundreds of years locked in deadly conflict with the goblin Empire of the Ignited Deceiver, a realm so brutal, a realm where generals are decided by how long they remain alive before they are murdered by their kin - a realm where their demon overlord was murdered by its citizens. And so often it was that at the head of each battle with these goblins, there would be the curious sight of these humans fighting with their skinless humanoid lizard demon general against an army of goblins and humans with goblin names. At several points in the Ignited Deceiver's history humans managed to stab their way to the top and become generals, often they were killed by Slevina in battle. These human soldiers on both sides of Walls could see that Silentthunders was in good repair. They were not too keen on rushing into the Fortifications when it could mean their deaths.
Their lieutenants set up camp outside the walls whilst their flying soldiers scouted overhead, trying to spot the defenders or an entry point.
The Dwarven defenders waited within the walls. The flying soldiers were an issue in that they halted the above ground construction efforts. Realizing that the humans were in this for the long haul, the Dwarves attacked.
The elite soldiers of the Fortress ran havoc through the encamped siege party amidst the smoke of the campfire and the red of the Dwarf blood rain. One of the poor Lieutenants of the humans riding atop an Emu charged into the Dwarven battle lines. The crossbowdwarves took aim and fired, with this Lieutenant batting bolts out of the air with supreme skill. His Emu was not so lucky and shot out from under him, and the dwarves rushed forwards. The spearmaster tried raising one arm but found it was firmly stuck between two rows of Dwarven teeth. He tried raising his shield arm but it had been removed with an adamantine axe. I can't remember who dealt the finishing blow, but that applies to all of them - body parts strewn about everywhere in a flurry of body bits. Living enemies are considerably messier than elf corpses when they die.
The humans on flying mounts were relatively safe and the last to go, but when they did - they fell far and fast, and hit the ground hard. One unfortunate human was shot dead in his mount and his flying mount kept buzzing around with a dead man on its back until it too fell and hit the ground.
Credit goes to B.M. Mosus Titans; one of the Dwarves of the Fortress who dealt a killing blow to a Titan, Mosus went into battle entirely naked except for the blood rain covering her skin.
And she utterly demolished a giant rattlesnake whilst unarmed and unarmoured. Unable to punch through its skull with just her firsts, Mosus decided to improvise.
By strangling it to death. Another Dwarf stole her kill, but I know who did the most work.
What was left behind were piles of dead bodies and limbs.
Some stuck in trees.
The humans stood a chance, but the Dwarves had simply fought worse than them a thousand times more.
Clean up was slow, and required the constant vigil of marksdwarves on patrol to put down the corpses of the siegers.

The battle turned out to be a strategical tragedy, as no live humans had been captured. 160 more cage traps have been placed out for future encounters. We require human resources for the were-blender in the fight against demonkind. The Fort may have to resurrect the human corpses captured the old fashioned way, as Monal still refuses to get back in her box.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2015, 01:00:29 pm »

One reason Bastiongate is less interesting is that I've got a ring of cage traps all the way around the fort. Many captives, few deaths.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2015, 04:01:35 pm »

Wow, this keeps getting less and less sane. I go away for a week, and look what happens.
One wheel short of a wagon

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2015, 04:15:17 pm »

Wow, this keeps getting less and less sane. I go away for a week, and look what happens.

Did I miss the point where it was sane ? AFAIK, the story started with an army of undead ravens invading hell on behalf of Silentthunder.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2015, 04:34:11 pm »

I conceive of sanity as a generally positive value that extends into the negative.
One wheel short of a wagon

Oda

• Bay Watcher
  • Misery used Lurk! It was super-effective!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 29, 2015, 06:01:56 pm »

This is what happens when The Birds meet Doom.
Hi! Feel free to talk to me, I don't bite often.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 29, 2015, 06:38:23 pm »

Did I miss the point where it was sane ? AFAIK, the story started with an army of undead ravens invading hell on behalf of Silentthunder.
What, are you saying that's not something you see every Saturday night?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2015, 04:38:54 am »

PTWing this insane mound of greatness.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Zac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2015, 08:07:13 pm »

What, are you saying that's not something you see every Saturday night?
I don't have the cable. : (
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32