Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 165076 times)

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »

Silentthunders will not fall.  Silentthunders is too bad at falling to fall.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 08, 2015, 07:38:59 pm »

By Armok's beard!

Should your fortress fall, I'd be disappointed if all of those humans didn't die first!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #332 on: September 08, 2015, 07:40:24 pm »

We're at 1700 soldiers now and I just saw a hammer lord block numerous strikes from a copper spike trap, only to have his maul-hand shot and end up speared by the copper spikes. Some of my Marksdwarves may have a cruel sense of humour.
I have a plan; there's a corpse bomb I've been cooking in the Dining Fortress, if I can retake the Brass Rampart from the pikemen I may be able to get a mechanic to move it in place and hook it up to a lever - unleashing 107,000 Urists weight worth of undead in the front entrance.

*EDIT
The false deity has disappeared. I am not sure what this means, I cannot find any Eslo alive or dead, nor have any soldiers reported fighting a giant skinless lizard. Eslo may have retreated in the face of my ambush, the bastard!
*EDIT
It is impossible for any of my Marksdwarves to miss, from the sharpest elite marksdwarf to the freshest recruit. There are so many humans.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:53:14 pm by Loud Whispers »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 08, 2015, 07:53:20 pm »

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

YOU PUT THIS TUNE ON IN THE BACKGROUND ON REPEAT RIGHT THIS INSTANT

AND THEN YOU SAVE THE GAME AND UPLOAD IT TO DFFD

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #334 on: September 08, 2015, 08:03:11 pm »

HOLD THAT THOUGHT, THE HUMANS ARE WITHIN RANGE TO RETURN FIRE
GOD BLESS MY FORTIFICATIONS BUT I MAY NEED TO RETHINK MY STRATEGY A TINY BIT

*EDIT
SHOULD I FORCE MORE SIEGES? SOME PART OF MY BRAIN THINKS THAT WILL MAKE THINGS BETTER, THE OTHER PART IS SCREAMING FOR HELP
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:10:18 pm by Loud Whispers »

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 08, 2015, 08:21:38 pm »

HOLD THAT THOUGHT, THE HUMANS ARE WITHIN RANGE TO RETURN FIRE
GOD BLESS MY FORTIFICATIONS BUT I MAY NEED TO RETHINK MY STRATEGY A TINY BIT

*EDIT
SHOULD I FORCE MORE SIEGES? SOME PART OF MY BRAIN THINKS THAT WILL MAKE THINGS BETTER, THE OTHER PART IS SCREAMING FOR HELP

YOU BROUGHT THIS UPON YOURSELF.  NOW YOU MUST FIGHT TO THE END.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 08, 2015, 08:23:56 pm »

Christ man, how is your computer holding up through this??

A multi-thousand siege is something that isn't seen often in these forums, much less one that has been survived! Should you force more, stop it at 2000! Live and earn glory, die and earn a special spot in the glowing pits!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 08, 2015, 08:25:41 pm »

I'M NOT SURE WHY WE'RE YELLING BUT FORCING MORE SIEGES WILL PROBABLY RESULT IN TOTAL FORT KILL SIMPLY BY VOLUME

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 08, 2015, 08:29:28 pm »

Moar soldiers! Drive the nations of the world to extinction through mass slaughter!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 08, 2015, 08:35:47 pm »

Show the world why dwarves were made! UNLEASH THE BEASTS!
Meow.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #340 on: September 08, 2015, 08:44:44 pm »

Hmmm... I think I will force one more siege and stop there. The risk of forcing a siege that comes with 500 more soldiers is too high that death by volume would be inevitable, my Dwarves should at least have a fighting chance. Amusingly Uvash's ghost still screams drill at the soldiers as they muster in the Citadel. I'm sure it's quite inspiring.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And Architect Kogan shall be manning the ballista shortly, a modest stockpile should allow him to dent the pikemen crowd a bit. Amazingly my FPS only dropped by 1 frame per second down from 2 FPS. It's now at 1 FPS.

Oh, and forced 1 more siege - it only drove the hostile count to around 1750, which is for the best.

*EDIT
Ballista has had no noticeable effect on crowd, Kogan is a skilled siege operator but a better axedwarf. He will join the others in the HQ and prepare for war as an elite soldier.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:47:50 pm by Loud Whispers »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #341 on: September 08, 2015, 09:43:11 pm »

They march down the brass road, others make camp to see how their peers will fare. The pikemen vanguard has stalled after their leader was incapacitated, they mill outside the courtyard awaiting reinforcements. Reinforcements are galloping into the brass palisade with increasing regularity, the fortifications still hold, and they have not yet breached the axe blades.
The soldiers on the north face are of less concern, far away from most of the fighting. Given their large number of archers and crossbowmen, not a high priority target. Still, those axemen look to be in prime location to drop the sky.
The eastern defences have seen considerably more success, many humans or their mounts were captured and the drawbridge was sealed in time. I am in the interest of protecting Forgotten Beast habitats, for they are endangered species. Some are just of a nature too deadly for me to wish upon the surface.
The mosquito riders have been repelled, a few lofty mosquitoes remain vomiting in the sky but they will eventually fall. Over a dozen or so humans and their loyal steeds have been shot and killed, their corpses spilling blood into the magma below. All in all an insignificant amount of humans have died.
The eastern tunnel connects the northern territory with the southern; being an underground passage which cannot be defended from the Fortress, it was fitted with some nasty traps to discourage any attacking foes from taking up residence within. The traps did their job and though they allowed about 60 cavalrymen through before most of them ended up jammed, they must've injured a great deal many more horses, slowing down the human advance. One copper spike still works, and the northern squads should lose at least 3 more men to it before they completely own the tunnel.
Troops are still moving around back and forth as the Fort is alive with Dwarf feet and human screams.
The Marksdwarves are spread along the entire Fort to maximize coverage. The 2nd level battlements are covered in doors so that when a Marksdwarf has finished firing, is changing tower or is coming under too much fire they can pull back and the doors fasten shut blocking any arrows that might make it through a fortification. It also helps narrow fields of view drastically, so marksdwarves can reposition themselves to duel two dozen enemy archers whilst putting themselves at risk to only 3 or 5 enemies (most of the time). So far they've killed a few humans and war animals but just as before, not enough to make a noticeable difference. There is a silver lining in that Marksdwarves related to Feb Phrasecobalt have had something to cheer up about (or vent anger on) as a result of the siege.

Dumbestdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Silly small person
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 09, 2015, 01:45:01 am »

This is truly epic.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 09, 2015, 10:02:17 am »

Meow.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 09, 2015, 10:14:03 am »

You have a necromancer, right?

That could help a bit, if you don't mind exposing him briefly to arrow-fire, while you're waiting for the potential of the corpse bomb.

But yes, Silentthunders just got insane. Has something like this even been attempted before? Armok's eyes are upon this land. All of the buildings' epicness now stand in proper scale. I just hope they don't breach into your underground.

It would be infinitely glorious if DF had some kind of altered mode in which it could handle such large troop numbers at a somewhat reasonable FPS...because this is a realistic siege, in numbers. I'm impressed that DF is handling it at 1 FPS, inefficient as it is...perhaps it's rounding up from 0.1? :P

(Oh, so you know how Toady is working with multi-tile units? ...gonna make a suggestion that some squads be handled like that. Would vastly reduce the number of paths being calculated, allowing for larger sieges.)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32