Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 160524 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #465 on: February 28, 2020, 04:01:45 pm »

Damn, Silentthunders has really grown upward!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 29, 2020, 07:17:59 am »

That's quite a bit of growth, considering it has already been over half a century since embark. Nicely done - though I can say I like the leftmost tower the most.

Also, F for Sazir.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 29, 2020, 09:05:59 pm »

That's quite a bit of growth, considering it has already been over half a century since embark. Nicely done - though I can say I like the leftmost tower the most.

Also, F for Sazir.
It also happens to have been over half a decade since embark, which is sort of remarkable when you think about it. Quite the impressive fort from above, is belowground still just as interesting?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #468 on: March 27, 2020, 07:19:32 pm »

Awesome views in isoworld. Did you have to visit your own fortress in adventure mode as well?
Yes! Flew everywhere. Only had to border the fortress tile for all 16 of the chunks to load in though

Also, F for Sazir.
If Sazir ever visits I'd be happy to give him a stay at a hotel with all of his buddies

It also happens to have been over half a decade since embark, which is sort of remarkable when you think about it. Quite the impressive fort from above, is belowground still just as interesting?
60 years since embark, with 43 of the first generation still alive :]

Below ground there have been a few developments, some of which haven't matured into worthy stories yet. They are little seedlings waiting to sprout. So for the time being I'm being taciturn with my posting, documenting all of course for the future being.

FORGOTTEN BEASTS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A traveler wandering through the cavern walkways would today be beset by smoke and mist. Unable to see anything, in a few short moments they would be bisected by a gigantic feathered lobster. Set on fire by a quadruped composed of flame. Crushed by a scorpion stinger the size of a horse carriage, or simply find every tissue layer in their body violently erupt in grim geysers of blood. I no longer, nor will I ever consider, sending Dwarves into the caverns or the quarry rampway. It is a place of death so thoroughly infested with a gauntlet of forgotten beasts and titan grade corpses of macabre and fell design, that to even look upon it is a bad omen.

In the first cavern layer, one forgotten beast has killed five other forgotten beasts & put another in a coma simply by exhuding its noxious fumes nearby their nostrils.

I suspect it's this lad or lady. The second cavern layer is infested with twelve undead titan grade corpses by the subterranean fortress. Two lurk below the waves, whilst the rest wait eagerly for the next addition to their family. The last cavern layer holds "only" three titan grade corpses, a testament to the existence of Osod the flamehound who periodically clears up the lowest undead infestation with singing heat.

At the base of the cavern ramp, the blood pools thick in corridors of slaughter.

What curiosity drives the megabeasts to our Fortress? What magnetism draws these titans to this arena of carnage? How many more must be strangled to death before they consider the thought of returning to their accursed lairs to feed in peace far away from this wretched spidery forest? It seems never, for the smell of death only draws more to our land. The megabeasts may be able to slay any creature that meets their path, but bit by bit the undead horde wears them down with the patience of the undying. Next, we'll have a look at Hell and the cleanup of the human war.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 27, 2020, 11:37:46 pm »

I don't suppose there's a way for you to put your hands on some webs, is there? Can you trap a webber demon behind a drawbridge or something? It would be incredible if you could cage trap all those monsters with webbed traps.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #470 on: April 04, 2020, 03:00:34 pm »

I don't suppose there's a way for you to put your hands on some webs, is there? Can you trap a webber demon behind a drawbridge or something? It would be incredible if you could cage trap all those monsters with webbed traps.
I've got a few webbers who'd do a decent job at it, but I've no real inclination or cause to go grabbing more titan corpses at the moment.

With the taming of Hell and the cleanup of the overworld reaching their natural conclusions, I puzzled over what to do with the captured human warriors. I lacked any easy means to safely transport so many prisoners out into the surface where they'd hopefully run home, without turning to banditry or undead state. To execute them all was also an option, but presented an equally daunting logistical challenge. With so many humans with such long names I'd always be worried I'd accidentally execute a necromancer, a were-creature or a historic corpse titan, so I decided to just place each human in hell with a were-sloth - Doge Pesli.

I figured Doge Pesli would do as were-sloths were want to do, and spread the curse. Perhaps I would gain a small cohort of were-sloths?

At first the humans did not warm to Doge Pesli. A hammer lord tried to break the were-sloth with his bronze warhammer, to minimal effect.

Doge Pesli responded with characteristic friendliness, strangling the Hammer Lord to submission (remarkably, the hammer lord did not die).

Upon the conclusion of this frightful full moon, the were-sloths and humans ceased to fight one another. Total peace gripped them all, even when the full moon returned. It was as if the humans and were-sloths had struck peace in this hell.

I have no idea why they will no longer fight one another, but whatever the case, there are now more of them.

Elsewhere in Hell, the construction of a great filter commenced.

Pictured here, the foundations of the filter being built.

A simple maintenance shaft connects the filter to the rest of hell.

The sacred walls of the filter were raised and the corpse bomb placed within.

Demons would arrive from an intake pipe and quickly seek to passage through the filter.

They would fly on their little wings down the pipe, where visibility is limited.

Upon reaching the centre-chamber, the demons at last see they are surrounded and beset by the filter's diligent operators. Undead creatures and constructs of many shapes, sizes and quantities identify a demonic intrusion and begin cleanup, until no demons remain.

Now my mistake was not making the great filter 5zlvls tall. As a result, demons arriving from the lower pipe can see the undead before they emerge into the filter chamber. This can lead to... Blockages.

If the demons arrive from above, then they do not see the undead until they are in the chamber.

The undead being rather persistent, do not have any issue with annihilating the demons - they have the patience of eternity on their side.

However, arriving from the bottom, webbing demons have found they can make a right mess of my filter by attacking from the zlvl below without having to enter the filter chamber itself.

Now the whole damn machine is just clogged with webs.

Those two demons have since become demon lords of warfare, masters of all forms of unarmed combat possible. They are also unlikely to ever be disintegrated because none of the undead are capable of actually reaching the demons - the filter does not facilitate non-flying movement through the pipes. I am not sure how to resolve this issue, so I am leaving the demons in this eternal battle for the time being.

The demons' kill counts by 472

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 04, 2020, 04:45:03 pm »

Jesus fucking Christ that's a lot of kills

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 04, 2020, 08:07:05 pm »

"It's a draw, then."

Though that can't be good for fps. Those look like ash demons, so ballista bolt through fortifications should work.

Though, hm. Filter's input is demons. Output is...??? It looks like your maintenance shaft is too thin to temporarily remove undead.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]