Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone else find themselves constantly re-embarking?  (Read 2779 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else find themselves constantly re-embarking?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »

Part of this OCD might be the repetition involved in the initial setup of most Forts.  You might wish to consider familiarizing yourself with Quickfort and Workflow Manager.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »

For me it's usually "No wait I want a volcano. No wait I want sedimentary flux layers. No wait, I want more trees. No wait, I want to be on the shore of a lake. No wait, I want a bigger river." And so on.

Precisely this. I generally embark 10-12 times, but once I pick a fort, I generally play it till a new version comes out.

I've only actually lost a fort twice, once to a clothing shortage tantrum spiral, and once when a cave-in killed 17, followed by a tantrum spiral. I put my success rate down to my perfect embarks.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2014, 10:40:37 pm »

I really enjoy embarking. Sometimes I just set up mini prospecting outposts (less than a year of play time with some minor self sufficiency.) Someday I hope there is a prospecting feature where you sent out bands of dwarves to explore the map and report back the geology/features.

The one thing I get anal about are my starting seven and their likes...

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 10:43:15 pm »

Try no farming, no trading, no mining, no ...
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »

For me, I design all my forts really similarly and if I dig out something wrong, it bothers me for ages. Or at least until Toady updates again and I use it as an excuse to wipe out the world and begin anew.

I don't mind abandoning my forts so often, though. Restarting so many times has pretty much helped me nail down what I like and what I don't like in fort design. It's also helped me with workshop flow and grouping them together so my dwarves don't have to wander too far to get this, that, or the other thing.

Once Toady slows down on updates - I hate not playing on the latest version - I'll likely settle down for the long haul and stick with a single fort just to see how long I can actually go. My laptop plays DF surprisingly well, and I never seem to have the FPS problems most everyone else has, even on some of my longer forts.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 06:08:32 pm »

Yep. Usually I just get tired of a fortress layout. Number one cause. Well, that and boredom.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 08:16:16 pm »

My usualy abbadoning my fortress after 8-12 years, when nothing happends from long time. But my fortress have usualy objectives: Being fun for adventurers, being arrmory for adventurers, test some new thing in other enviroment, make safe stronghold because dwarf race is dying, maddwarves want relase dark deemons. Being nice and safe passage to caverns... Or so. When objective is accomplished i still play for some time, because i like some dwarves, or because i am preparing rooms for my adventurers. I always comming back to my fortress, by adventurer or reclaiming it, just because i like hold my worlds for years. Sadly, every next fortress is slooweeerrrrr...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 03:34:43 am »

Having done a lot of "dig in, run for a while, get bored, restart" myself, taking a spin in adventure mode with one of your favorite dorfs is an option that really fleshed out a lot of the world I was in, rather than wondering what was going on outside the embark I was able to actually see what it looks like out there (some surprises for sure right around the edge which would have made me replan some of my magma flooding system) and do things like hear about the fort from other locations, plus start trouble and maybe piss off some elves and goblins after I reclaim... gotta figure out how to keep the tamed demon from running amok though, as he isn't tamed, just bound to my adventurer.
Pages: 1 [2]