Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food supply problems in masterwork  (Read 1118 times)

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Food supply problems in masterwork
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:53:08 am »

In normal fortress mode I usually don't have problems with feeding my pop, but in masterwork it can get really difficult if I can't fish anything, because my crop usually gets destroyed before something grows on it. Hunters usually appear in the mid game and are often quite unsuccesful or die fast. The only other way I know to get food is by caravans...
So I'm asking: How do you gather food usually, especially at the start of the game.
Is there a way to make your dwarves butcher the animals/monsters my army has killed, so that I can hunt "manually"?

Have a nice day

Khorinis

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
Re: Food supply problems in masterwork
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:47:54 am »

I think that this is more suited for the Masterwork forums.

Anyway, for the butcher problem, go to standing (o)rders, there should be an option about hauling refuse/corpses, toggle it so dwarves haul stuff from the outside. After that, set up a refuse stockpile next to a butcher shop. Dwarves should haul corpses there where an automatic job (hopefully) butchers them.
I do stuff, I guess

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:13:34 am »

Anyway, for the butcher problem, go to standing (o)rders, there should be an option about hauling refuse/corpses, toggle it so dwarves haul stuff from the outside. After that, set up a refuse stockpile next to a butcher shop. Dwarves should haul corpses there where an automatic job (hopefully) butchers them.

Thank you, good tip, should I move the topic?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:10:40 pm »

Thank you, good tip, should I move the topic?
Yes, most players here don't know much about masterwork... including me...

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 07:39:14 pm »

if you're on a small map, use cage traps to catch wildlife. Less dangerous than hunting it. go into z menu then animals, tame them and set them to butcher.

Crops should be underground and separated from most other things, i very rarely have any issue.

Lastly, just bring along 10 chickens and 2 roosters. I suggest using the kitchen to boil the eggs.

All 3, especially when combined, give way way too much food. I've had a fortress of 30 have along the lines of 20,000 food and 5000 booze.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.