Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golems  (Read 2346 times)

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
Golems
« on: December 25, 2014, 04:44:30 pm »

Being an inexperienced modder, is there any way to make a creature that can be crafted (as in, made in a workshop or the like)? Something I'm fairly certain could be done is a golem (as in, animated creature, not undead) and I'm curious as to how one could achieve this. Also of interest, could one (without mucking about with loads and loads of files) make it so that in worldgen one could have historical figures create golems/whatever? For example, 'In the mid spring of 13 Ted Bowlsnatched gave sentience to Knifewash the golem.' ?

If it'd be incredibly complex, I'm not really able to do that kind of thing so kindly mention thus. Still be interested in any answers, though :)
thincake

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Golems
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 04:59:45 pm »

Yes, but you need to either transform a creature (like the dwarf or a nearby pet) into the Golem. OR you use spawnunit, a dfhack script, to spawn a completely new unit. That works only if you have dfhack installed.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 05:05:04 pm »

Would it be possible to turn, say, a statue into a creature? Or does it have to be a preexisting living creature?
Ideal process of crafting, o'course, would be Make statue->cast magic whatever on statue->animate statue through some means-> voila, golem.
I'm fairly certain I read it was possible to make a creature via interactions, someplace on these here forums. Any way of bypassing the 'Living creature only' rule (for instance, classifying statues as creatures incapable of moving? (which would make for some nice statue-smashing, I have to say)).
thincake

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 05:39:41 pm »

Statue into golem, yes with dfhack. Without dfhack it has to be a preexisting creature.

With interactions = With interactions that use SyndromeTrigger to run a dfhack script.

There is a super tricky workaround that people dont use anymore because its also a bit buggy, which includes transforming a creature into a creature with a limb that rots away, drops, is reanimated and transformed into the new creature you want. But seriously, dont do that.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 05:41:48 pm »

Ah, so dfhack holds the key to my desires.
Thanks.
Would it, then, be possible to use them as semimegabeast-type things created by people during worldgen (like in the OP)?
thincake

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 05:45:30 pm »

Not really. You could make megabeast golems that appear in worldgen, but you cant have worldgen dwarves do interactions/run dfhack scripts.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 05:50:08 pm »

I'm not familiar with worldgen: do things happen during worldgen that can only happen elsewhere?
So, if it's not doable in gameplay, you also can't do it in worldgen?
So, you can't just generate a golem during worldgen and say a wizard made it?
(please bear with me on this, I need all the help I can get with this)
thincake

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 06:05:28 pm »

I'm not familiar with worldgen: do things happen during worldgen that can only happen elsewhere?
So, if it's not doable in gameplay, you also can't do it in worldgen?
So, you can't just generate a golem during worldgen and say a wizard made it?
(please bear with me on this, I need all the help I can get with this)

Reactions and interactions don't occur in worldgen, so even if you make a race able to make golems with a reaction they'll never do it in worldgen.

The only way to get a race to have golems in worldgen is to make them a caste of that creature that can be born into the population, but that's not what you want.

Essentially there is no way to make a race make golems in worldgen other than by giving birth to them like normal members of that race.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 06:07:10 pm »

Ah, thanks. So, that's constructs out the window.
There's still lizard people! And giant dwarves!
thincake

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 06:42:13 pm »

You out of the window? Its very easy to do with spawnunit ...

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 06:48:39 pm »

Is this using DFhack?
I was looking for things you could do with raws and the other files in the folder tbh, I have zero experience with DFhack.
Still, worth looking into.
thincake

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 09:55:31 pm »

You can summon creatures was th out a pre-existing creature (except the worker doing the reaction) without shack,but it's probably the most difficult thing in basic raw nodding. You need to have the interaction make a boulder that carries a syndrome that transforms the worker into a different creature temporarily and then the creature needs to have a body part melt off, but not die itself and then use necromancer on the melted body part to make it into a creature then have something turn the melted resurrected limb into a creature. That might not be it exactly, but the point is, it's really complicated and requires nodding pretty much every file type.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 01:48:33 am »

There was a thread of someone who made a really neat golem mod using castes, it shouldn't be too far back in the backlog of these forums and you could see how they did it and perhaps use their technique to make your own take on the idea!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »

You can summon creatures was th out a pre-existing creature (except the worker doing the reaction) without shack,but it's probably the most difficult thing in basic raw nodding. You need to have the interaction make a boulder that carries a syndrome that transforms the worker into a different creature temporarily and then the creature needs to have a body part melt off, but not die itself and then use necromancer on the melted body part to make it into a creature then have something turn the melted resurrected limb into a creature. That might not be it exactly, but the point is, it's really complicated and requires nodding pretty much every file type.
This is the method that Meph mentioned with the advice "But seriously, don't do that."  I tried to do this before the spawnunit script emerged, and I concur with Meph.  It's possible, but it's slow and unreliable.

What you want to do instead is find the spawnunit script and stick it in your raw/scripts folder (it's not yet stable enough to be distributed with DFHack).  Experiment with a paused game running and typing spawnunit commands into the console until you get the command line you actually want.  Then you put the following line in raw/onload.init

modtools/reaction-trigger -reactionName BUILD_GOLEM -command [ spawnunit parameters ]

The parameters should probably include \\LOCATION somewhere.

You can make the reaction require a statue as a reagent.  Though not required, you should probably have the reaction create some kind of product so that the Dwarf performing it gets experience.  I used a boulder that boils away at room temperature to give a little "poof" effect.

Hopefully there is a functioning spawnunit script for this version of DFHack.  I took an old version of warmist's script and stripped out all of the parts that gave me trouble.  It works, but it's not general.

Now go back a couple steps.  First you want to make sure the creature is working in the arena, and then make it naturally occurring and see if it behaves correctly in a fort.  Then take out its biomes and get fancy with spawning the things.  You've picked a fairly ambitious project, but each step is do-able and it will be a valuable learning experience.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map