Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with my own tileset  (Read 3526 times)

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with my own tileset
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:37:54 pm »

I am trying to create a tileset for the first time (basically creating the garamond font tileset) and this happens when I use the tileset:

What can be the problem????

Tileset I am talking about

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with my own tileset
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:32:29 pm »

there is three options:

save it as .bmp
or
make background transparent (preferred)
or
set color mode to Index (not RGB)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 09:45:24 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 10:22:04 pm »

Remove the transparency layer. Your image has one, meaning that SDL interprets the pink background as being intentional. #FF00FF is only interpreted as transparent in the absence of a transparency layer. Saving your image as BMP (which doesn't support transparency) or making the background transparent instead of #FF00FF are also solutions.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:24:21 pm by Taffer »

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:50:03 am »

Thanks for the help. Fixed most problems, but still has some (dont know why).

The edited tileset:

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 11:53:22 am »

If you're referring to the poor kerning, that seems the be an issue of where the letters are placed.  You have the lower case letters lining up with the upper case based off their center - lower them to match the bottom of the letter.  You also are lining up letter based off their left side instead of their horizontal center, which is creating the gaps.  Make your letters line up based off the center of the letter to fix that.

Snake Eyes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:32:28 pm »

Are you running Windows? There's a program called GraphicsGale that has the ability to define dividing lines. I use it for my character sets to keep track of the center (define x and y to be half of your tile size, e.g. 10 tile = 5 x and y lines). The free version doesn't support transparency, however, so you'll need to use something like the GIMP to add alpha to the image and use the Magic Wand tool to make the pink transparent.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:39:16 pm »

While fixing the letter placement, there are some symbols that are bleeding their rightmost or bottommost pixels into the next cell.  For example, the dots over 8 and 9 are from the parentheses above, and the fuzz to the left of A is from the @ symbol.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:18 pm »

The free version of GraphicsGale does support transparancy, but the initial layer in an image has it off by default.

Photoshop can also show guidelines to help.
Turn them on by going to View > Show > Grid
Configure their spacing by going to Edit > Preferences > Guides, Grid, & Slices > Grid > "Gridline every" and "Subdivisions"
The above paths are for Windows in Photoshop CS6.  On Mac OS, preferences will probably be in the Photoshop menu, but the rest should be the same.

Snake Eyes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 11:08:48 pm »

@Rydel: In regards to GraphicsGale (free edition) supporting transparency, I was referring to files being saved with preserved transparency. When I saved my first attempt (transparency was enabled, with pink set to be transparent), it turned white in the PNG, resulting in something similar to the OP's first screenshot.

Admittedly, there are newer versions of GraphicsGale and my character set has been through many revisions and versions since that first attempt. It might've been a bug or a mistake of some sort. *shrug* I don't have access to GraphicsGale or my files at the moment, so I can't be certain.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 11:28:43 pm »

Snake Eyes, that sounds like you might have both set a transparency color and added an alpha channel.  Only use one method or the other - Alpha transparency overrides color transparency.

Alpha transparency is better for most tilesets, though.  It gives you more range for using transparency for background colors and make tile magic possible.  With Alpha transparency, ignore the color transparency setting and use the alpha channel for transparency.
That's kind of weak in GraphicsGale, though, since I don't know a way to view than channel separately like I can in Photoshop or GIMP.

Snake Eyes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 04:56:59 pm »

@Rydel: That sounds about right; I thought alpha = enabled transparency, since alpha needs to be enabled to set color transparency in Edit Layer. Thanks; now I shouldn't need the GIMP just to export my character sets.