Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 14: Wrapped up  (Read 32817 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Dominions 4 Round 14: Wrapped up
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:18:51 pm »

Playlist for LP from Machaka's PoV

Game name: Bay12GamesRound414
Map: leakinglands v3
Era: Early Era
Time allowance: 72h
Score graphs: Own Nation Only
Hall of Fame: 15
Artifact forging limit: Limited
Renaming: allowed
Thrones: 10 lv1

List of Players:
Akhier[Machaka]
EnigmaticHat[Niefelheim]
Hellheart[Ulm]
tompliss[Atlantis]
Elfeater[Eremor]
Delta Foxtrot[Pangaea]
Criptfeind[C'tis]
akirilus[Fomoria]

Spoiler: How does PBEM work? (click to show/hide)

Useful links:
Dom4 forums on Desura
Dom4 Mod Inspector
An archived snapshot of the Dom3 wiki: Yes, it's still relevant, and it hasn't been replaced yet, so... It has loads of useful information, including strategy guides. Keep in mind that while a lot of this information is still very useful and valid, a lot of it is entirely out-of-date.

Llama Server: the automatic hosting server for our game.
Llama Server's map and mod browser (Yes, it's not really a browser, but you can browse the maps and mods here)

Text liberated by Akhier the Dragon hearted from round 4.08 which had taken it from the 4.06 thread, where TomPliss stole it from Delta Foxtrot who stole it from  E. Albright who stole it from Akhier the Dragon hearted who stole it from ScriptWolf who stole if from Il Palazzo ( with his say so ), and scantly updated for Dom4 by the latest OP E. Albright. with some tweaks by Akhier
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:04:49 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

I'll join, and I'm playing Niefelhiem.  Note that I am le noob, have a hard time being motivated to play against the AI so I'll just lose a bit to humans.

Map suggestion: four-way wraparound random?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Welcome! Don't worry about being a noob. I am mostly certain not only did I dive right into MP but my first game I was the admin. The fun part is playing the game with others. As for the suggestion while random is fine by me others will probably want a specific map is only because they have been tested more so as to not have bad starts and such.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Peliwyr (127+18) is pretty awesome. Yes, yes it's pretty, but IMO it's a really good map in terms of terrain types and province placement. The same author made a few other maps in the same style at sizes (81+10) and (84+9) (check his sig via the hyperlink) but I haven't played on those enough to comment if they're as good as Peliwyr for general gameplay.

I'm undecided about joining for now. I need to sub out around May if this drags that far with me going strong. Understandably I'm reluctant about joining a game I might not be able to finish :P
Realistically I expect this game to last 3-4 months tops, but you never know.

I'm undecided with my nation for now. I suppose I could do some horrible things with EA Pan (assuming I can get them to work, I'm more of an MA Pan guy). But really I could pick anything at this point.

edit:
Not that we can really think about the map too much until we have (mostly) final player tally figured out.

further edit:
Worthy Heroes is pretty popular, almost vanilla at this point judging by its prevalence. And personally I like the look of UW Expanded. Just you know, in case you were wondering about mods.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:03:52 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Mods are cool and if most of the players wanted a specific one that would be fine though I somewhat would prefer to start vanilla. As for the suggested map and the fact that we can really dilly dally on deciding till everyone is here is noted. Anyway I will put you down as undecided on both the joining and the nation front.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Peliwyr is pretty, but it's miserably cramped. Round 410 had 9 players, and two or three started two provinces away from each other - and one pair started with just one province between capitals. I really don't like how nations and thrones cluster on it.

I'd be wary of using the UW Expanded mod, mostly since we're due to have an "underwater patch" hitting us in probably 6-12 weeks, which could render some of its changes weird.

Finally, in the boilerplate thread header, you should probably expunge the reference to Edi's ModDB since he no longer maintains it, and replace it with the reason he no longer sees any need to do so: https://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Many thanks on the input. I have just now changed the reference from Edi's to the Inspector.

Edit: Oh and how many provinces would you suggest per a person?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh definitely. I think 8 on Peliwyr is nice "regular" match. 9 or 10 results in a situation that's more aggressive by necessity.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depending on the map, I'd say 15-20. Layout really matters, though. E.g., I've done both Peliwyr and Urraparand (both full-wrap maps with 12-15% water) with ~15 provinces per player, and the latter feels reasonably spread out while the former makes me want to gouge my eyes out in frustration. Admittedly, a lot of my issues with Peliwyr probably would be alleviated by subbing in an aquatic nation or two - though it's not big enough to support two, so that limits that. But if you're all land nations I don't even think I'd feel good with 8 on Peliwyr. YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:09:25 pm by E. Albright »

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: Looking for Players
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 04:19:31 am »

In with Ulm, since I'm not going to play them in 4.13.

As far as maps go, we don't necessarily need a random one. There's a lot of maps that have been published since Peliwyr and we can probably dig through them and find something reasonable.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 04:54:17 am »

Willing to play in this one. Atlantis, I think.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 08:36:01 am »

Welcome both of you. With this we are about half way to 8 players which I consider a good place to consider starting. For anyone who wants to join I will note that I am not cutting it off strictly at 8 but will likely not go beyond 10 and only get there in an extreme circumstance.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 08:41:12 am »

In with Ulm, since I'm not going to play them in 4.13.

As far as maps go, we don't necessarily need a random one. There's a lot of maps that have been published since Peliwyr and we can probably dig through them and find something reasonable.

And before.

Really there's a bunch. If I browse through the maps I have and exclude Pymous' stuff, there's: Maerlande, Realm of Roaring Rhinoes, Realm of Rampaging Roaches, Plane of Rusty Nails, Big Black Peaks, Leaking Land. I don't think I've played a proper PBEM on any of those yet. I believe Leaking Land is the only one that isn't in vanilla, link below:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2093

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: Looking for Players ([4 to 5] of [8 to 10])
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 10:34:18 am »

Posting to watch, obviously. I might join in, but I'm feeling very conflicted about doing so. On the one hand I'm definitely burnt out on Dominions right now, so joining a new game isn't the greatest idea in the world. But on the other hand it'll probably be another 2 months before someone makes a new game, and I'm not sure whether I'll want to wait that long to join a new game. Plus I'm thinking that tackling a new strategy instead of my usual mage blasting might make me interested in playing MP again, but that could easily be a trap...

In other words, put me down as a very tenative maybe. We'll see how I feel after a couple days of experimenting and thought. If you get a sudden inrush of players then drop me out, since they would probably be more involved and energetic than me. But if you need warm bodies... I'm better than nothing I guess.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: Looking for Players ([4 to 6] of [8 to 10])
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 12:15:00 pm »

Always glad to have you. I will note of course that you can always go my route for joining a game when there aren't any. Just start one, as long as you don't mind admining (and you can probably pawn it off on someone else in the game if you really need to), it works quite well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24