Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fallville - a Rimworld Sucession Game  (Read 2024 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Fallville - a Rimworld Sucession Game
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:14:43 pm »

So me, Soulwynd and Forsaken decided to set up a modded rimworld sucession game. Here's some info:

Mods present: All and then some. I took liberty of rebalancing most stuff to make them cross compatible, but I didn't like the "rebalances" made by the only guy that's mantaining the every-mod-and-their-dog modpack for alpha 10.

Site location: Site biome, hillyness and temperature were picked randomly from a list. Biome picked was tundra, with small hills and a thawing season in summer (phew!)

Storyteller: We'll use Random Randy on "basebuilder" difficulty mode, but with a twist, every season someone grabs the baton they roll a d10, if it's 8, 9 or 10 we put the difficulty to rough for that season.

Savescumming: Allowed. Our initial rule is to have to roll back to the start of the season, but I might flexibilize (or not) that. Rimworld is quite brutal with a ton of mods.

Season duration: 3 in-game months (30 days). We didn't go with one third of a year for each player since it'd mean someone would always play on the same seasons, this adds some variety (and drama)

So here we begin, let's meet our three brave heroes:

The Brains:

Karl "Djohaal" Ruiz was a microbiologist sent into exodus after finding out the reason a plague was spreading and killing everyone on the world of Porcine IV was due to the planet's cultural taboo of not washing hands.

Soulwynd was a promising cook who was tutored in the galaxy's best restaurant by Rordon Gamsay's disembodied head, sadly he got flak during one of Rordon's monumental tantrums and his career was ruined. He had work with mining to make ends meet.

No one knows for sure about Forsaken's backstory, he was bred to kill, and kills to live, leading an unknown grudge trough the stars. Also never joke about his hair unless "spinal amputation" seems a good activity.

The cryptoship they were travelling in suffered an acute existential failure, leaving little time for them to hop into the escape pods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Landfall, our autocalendar had vague astrometric data about this world's calendar, situating us on june 1st, 5500. Hell I've been on cold storage for so long?

The desolate area around us and the chilly winds suggest we landed on a tundra. Without much choice we began digging a temporary shelter on a derelict building. The stones are full of iron ore, for our luck.

We managed to assemble basic crafting, a forge for warmith and refining iron into basic tools, alongside some sleeping spots and a door that keeps the cold nights outside. We must be on high latitudes and getting close to winter, the nights are getting longer by the day.

More work getting done, we found some wild potatoes and decided to plant them properly.

It's raining men hallelujah! Old men. Very skilled old men. With dementia.

Jason, "Agent" has clear signs of frontotemporal dementia, he can barely concentrate to do most tasks, although I admit he's quite the chatty guy and has a wealth of histories as an agent on his midworld. His dementia has excellent response to some of the advanced neuroimplants I've seen glitterworld scientists discuss about, but I don't think we'll be able to find any on this dusty rock. He also has cataracts on both eyes due to a botched freeze sequence on his doomed travel to this planet. He doesn't seem so interested on sticking with us but releasing him on the badlands means a sure death. His constant nagging is annoying forsaken though...

Apparently it also rained Snork head garments. I wonder what other wonders the cargo pods of our shattered transporter contain.

By july I managed to scavenge enough tools so we could get a primitive windmill going. Our first priority is to make a indoor farm and heat it up, as game is quite scarce on the tundra.

Some people who reside on the planet showed up to greet us, they weren't awfully friendly but they also didn't consider the fact forsaken was vatgrown to war. (our rifle helped a lot too)

We captured the prisoner and healed him. I'm undecided if we should attempt to make him join our village or release him.

Apparently the squid that live in the pond near our entrance are quite tasty... or not?

Next turn: Soulwynd!

I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Re: Fallville - a Rimworld Sucession Game
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:04:23 am »

This should be good!
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallville - a Rimworld Sucession Game
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 04:12:58 pm »

I could take over for the next guy if he doesn't do anything.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote