Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 14: Wrapped up  (Read 32824 times)

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: Re-Restarted Because the (not us) Gods Hate this Round
« Reply #240 on: February 09, 2015, 12:47:02 pm »

I am back in town - thank you everyone for your patience.  Turn going out shortly.

To Ermor - hi, I noticed we just met.  I propose a non-aggression stance.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: Re-Restarted Because the (not us) Gods Hate this Round
« Reply #241 on: February 09, 2015, 09:25:35 pm »

I don't know, you have big strong strapping men  ;)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2015, 08:50:48 am »

Well, that's interesting. Now I'm trapped.

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2015, 01:29:18 pm »

At this point, I think everyone is trapped.  Not a lot of indie provinces left to take.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2015, 01:44:19 pm »

Well, that's not quite my situation. But, it brings up a question, do the wars start now normally then?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2015, 01:49:59 pm »

The answer to that is a solid Maybe. It really comes down to how solid of a base you have right now compared to who your fighting. Also how far you have managed to get in research matters as well so its really all up in the air. To be honest the only reason people generally don't start wars early isn't because they can't but rather there is a somewhat unspoken rule that we let people actually play the early game at least. With some setups you can actually go and try for other nations as soon as you see them.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2015, 09:12:09 pm »

Well, actually, in Dominions 4 the Capitols are much more difficult to siege and storm. A smart player will force an early besieger to keep a large army on that capitol for nearly a dozen turns if not more, which will weaken them so much that they could easily fall to a 3rd party. That said, some nations - like EA Xib, EA Xib, or perhaps a nation with hundreds of cheap fliers that have a Patrol malus but not a siege malus - can still crack caps very early in Year 2. That said, a good enough bless can take enough provinces to reduce another nation to just its capitol, which gets the territorial advantage without tying up its forces long-term. That's where the gentleman's agreement comes in, although it usually only applies to wars before the end of Year 1 (Turn 12).

Outside of that, who you war with and when depends a lot on what you think will have the greatest success. That depends on scouting, troop placement, border layout, and your relations to your other neighbors.

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2015, 11:33:59 am »

The downside is that if your capital is besieged, and it's your only fort, you get no money at all, regardless of how much territory you control.  Same is true if all your active forts are currently under siege.  So if you don't have the forces to break the siege as is, you've already lost (unless you can summon something really big RIGHT NOW, but before the end of year two that's... unlikely) - the best you can do is take your attacker with you courtesy of a third party.  So to win a war, you don't necessarily have to crack the cap fortress - you can just attrition your opponent to death.

I am still new to Dom4, but my impression is that you will have to fight wars at some point.  So if you instigate it, you should have a plan as to what you want to accomplish and how you intend to do it.  If you get attacked - then try to not get caught with your pants down.  I generally prefer to communicate with my neighbors and don't start early wars unless I feel threatened.  That having been said, if you have a decisive advantage, there is nothing wrong with pushing it, just make sure it doesn't cause the rest of the world to team up on you :) .

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2015, 01:14:23 pm »

A quick heads up - I will be traveling again for the next two days, so my ability to submit turns will be non-existent.  That having been said, I just sent in my turn 14, so that should be taken care of.  To all my neighbors - all diplo treaties are still good, peace for everyone! :) .  I will be back very late on Monday night, so I might need a one day extension for turn 15, depending on how the rest of the submissions stack up.  In practice, no delay might be necessary at all, but just wanted to give everyone a heads up I'll be MIA for the next 48 hours - because nothing says "long weekend" quite like a trip to learn chromosomal karyotyping!

Hellheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2015, 03:27:53 pm »

...Is he gone? Good. So, how are we going to screw that guy over?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:06 pm »

Many sorrys to the giants, no harm no foul.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

akirilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:44 pm »

Was a simple expansion party collision, no harm no foul.  Well, at least no harm to me - sorry bout that :( .  Apology wholeheartedly accepted :) .  Non-aggression treaty still in effect as far as I am concerned.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:05:30 pm by akirilus »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2015, 11:13:20 pm »

I figured it was a fifty fifty shot you where not going to go for it and was willing to roll the dice. Better then trying for the only other indie I see as it has more than I could handle with that squad.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2015, 09:58:25 am »

Is this game. Still, okay? It feels like it's a been a week or so, and the turn just keeps getting rolled back over and over.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2015, 11:34:23 am »

Seems we just got a new turn and no-one staled, so I'm guessing we're ok. Someone probably just needed a postponement and our admin didn't post in the thread.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24