Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 14: Wrapped up  (Read 32809 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: Looking for Players ([7 to 8] of [8 to 10])
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 06:55:07 am »

Keep in mind Albright's (rather valid I think) complaint about Peliwyr that while 15 (give or take a few) per player is what you usually want, Peliwyr is cramped enough that you need a little extra space to avoid early forced wars. 8 players with 1 UW nation has been in my experience the best setup for that map.

Taking a quick look at my downloaded maps, I'd be happy to play on Peliwyr, Leaking Land or Parganos (wraparound). This is based purely on their province count and province placement (UW in particular).

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2014, 07:09:48 am »

Oh yeah, Leaking land (124+11, horizontal wrap) looks cute and fun :)

PS: If you want to test/play with Leaking Land, go to the bottom of the thread linked by Delta Foxtrot, there is a version with many updated provincesl links
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:03:59 am by tompliss »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2014, 09:35:39 am »

That map looks good. I will take a look at it when I get home.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2014, 10:02:17 pm »

Okay it seems like a good map. Unless someone wants to voice against it with something that can't just be fixed by editing the map a little then we could definitely go with it. I will note that I have only been testing it with my nation as I need the experience with their start so I don't know how Atlantis will like the map.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2015, 07:09:48 am »

I have tested it with R'Lyeh to be able to cast Eyes of God quickly and see whether the starting positions were good, and it was good enough to expand with R'Lyeh.
Big independent provinces can be a problem more easily with Atlantis than with a Land Nation in this map, but I think I can handle.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2015, 04:50:24 pm »

Are we going to play without thrones? If we use them, which ones and how many?

Something like 6/10 or 7/10 thrones required for victory, all level 1's or level 2's? I wouldn't mind trying a game without thrones, seeing how I've never played one, but what do you guys thing?

edit:
I've ran some tests, and a few of my starts have been down to three neighbouring provinces, including a throne. This doesn't bother me, but as a result I'd like to request that we use level 1 thrones as those post the least obstacle to expansion.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:04:07 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 05:26:06 pm »

Oh ? that's weird. You've been using 8 players incl. a sea nation ?
Before saying I was OK with Leaking, I played it twice, rushing eyes of God with R'lyeh, and every time, the starting provinces had 4 land neighbours (except Agartha when randomized because of the cave thing), and they were "far" away from each other ^^"

Anyway, I'd prefer thrones, and I don't mind if there are only lvl 1s. Also, 6 out of 10 thrones present sounds good. Just a bit more than the number of players, and enough thrones to keep it interesting without lasting until it's a 1v1 :)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 05:34:42 pm »

8 players, I used random land nation for akirilus but everything else was as people have claimed them.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 07:49:21 pm »

The default with 8 players is to have thrones with 7 lv1 and 1 lv2 but having 10 lv1 and needing 6 sounds good. As for going with or without I must admit I like having a victory condition that actually happens as most of the games I have admined ended by loss of desire to play from what I remember.

Oh, and Delta Foxtrot, are you in then? I still have you down as a maybe at the moment. If you are in then we just need akirilus to decide on a nation and we are good to start soon. Probably Monday or so as this weekend is busy for me.

Edit: Oh and I have been testing with the nations we have decided and a random myself as well. All I can say is that I can't wait till seeing another nation doesn't mean I have to dump 30 points into PD just so they don't insta agro me. (AI, "Whats this, you only have 1 pd here? Why you must be inviting me in!")
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:53:25 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2015, 07:56:01 pm »

Definitely in. Monday sounds good for me. I've got a few builds I'm juggling but I can decide something by the end of the weekend.

It's a taste thing, but I don't like mixing level 1's and 2's (or 3's if wouldn't refuse to play with them in the first place). It makes things a bit too unpredictable as you can't easily tell which throne is which. With equal throne values it's easy to calculate how close everyone is to winning and plan accordingly.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: Full Up, Last minute choices being made
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 08:03:20 pm »

Okay, so with this 10 lv1 thrones sounds like a good way to go. As for when we start Monday would be nice but of course we do still have one nation needing to be decided and if anyone has a reason they need to more time now would be a good point to speak up.

Edit: Okay I think I might need to go through the map and add a few more no starts provinces. Just got a start in 111 which only has 2 connections.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:15:56 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 09:14:02 pm »

I went and checked the map over. Before I upload this anywhere if someone would like to check my work I will include my changes below along with the contents of the .map file so it is easy to look into. I am mostly sure I caught all the bad starts that where left (though with so many in there might have been left for a reason but neither here nor there) as well as a couple spots which the map indicated where a terrain type but wasn't actually so. Also I caught 3 instances of missing connections which for a wraparound map on only the 2nd edit is quite decent from what I have seen.

Code: (leakingland Changelog for v2 to v3) [Select]
Nostart added to 1, 8, 10, 13, 16, 27, 30, 31, 46, 53, 61, 78, 87, 89, 106, 111, 123, 127, 129, and 134
Mountain added to 47
Swamp added to 102
Connections added between 4 to 10, 29 to 34, and 100 to 112

Spoiler: leakingland.map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:39:12 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2015, 12:22:07 am »

So, I picked this game up on the big steam sale, and although I'm obviously still really really really bad, after a few AI games I feel like I sorta almost know what is going on. If you guys are still accepting new players (and wouldn't mind a total newbie) I'd love to join. As C'tis if possible. (Although I've been told that EA C'tis is not the easiest to play, so I'd likely lose even harder. But who can resist lizard necromancers?)

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: No Longer Accepting Players
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2015, 01:12:03 am »

We could probably fit you in and I would definitely like to include you. The map we are currently thinking of using could fit 9 at exactly 15 provinces to a player though I would like others opinions on whether this will work as I don't have much experience beyond the slight testing I have done (and of course we could always use a different map). For now I will mark you down as in with C'tis and we will see where that gets us.

Oh and for those hopeful out there who may still want to join we are somewhat full right now. I would love to include more but we are at the edge of my limit so I must say this game is no longer accepting players. Even if someone drops we would only be back down to 8 players.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:15:07 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 14: No Longer Accepting Players
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2015, 01:17:08 am »

If you can't fit me in, no harm. (I actually missed the title change, sorry!) I don't wanta overcrowd the game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24