Advanced search  

Poll

Would you eat food grown on Mars?

Hell yes!
Yes!
No.
Hell no.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: #LettuceOnMars Micro-Greenhouse: Growing food using the Martian atmosphere!  (Read 6570 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Again, all of this requires huge amounts of energy, but once you have workable fusion, that's really moot. The real question is: what is there on Mars, or on the Jovian moons, or Titan, or anywhere, that's economically viable?

Existential risk reduction is an oft-used argument.

I'll have to say though that I find Mars one's viability very suspect. As in, I don't think the project will work out, not in the way they are trying to do it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

There's not enough detail posted by the MarsOne group for me to fully evaluate their designs for possible sources of breakage, possible sources of dust fouling, membrane breakdown, and other sources of failure to reasonably evaluate the fitness of their colony plans.

The most I have seen are generalities thrown around. That's why I look at the numbers of what would need to be processed to get what you need to fill a small room with breathable air on mars, or to get a few liters of water every day, etc.

The pictured habitat pods they have on their website would NOT WORK.  There is not enough room, the colonists would develop contractures from being cooped up, and they would be exposed to deadly levels of ionizing radiation.  Really large sandbag structures built up with several dozen feet of mars rock and dirt piled on top, with inflatable habitats put inside those? Doable, more room to work in, easier to transport a larger structure, and would afford more radiation resistance. Does not look as sexxy to the investors though. Downside-- Structures easier to damage, harder to repair.  Would need a very robust material for the inflatable structures.

Also, I dont think MarsOne is really evaluating the amount of food required by a single human in a day, nor the logistics of longterm food storage and processing. 

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't MIT run the numbers and discover that te entire crew would die within 120 days?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/243260899/MIT-Mars-One-Study#scribd
Yeah, they're never going to get flight clearance at this rate. It will also be far worse if they do and everyone dies, because then you'll have morons saying it's impossible for people to go to Mars period, because a bunch of fools launched a mission doomed to failure because they don't know what they're doing.

Mars One, in its current state, cannot be allowed to launch. It could set back Mars exploration for decades.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:25:59 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Didn't MIT run the numbers and discover that te entire crew would die within 120 days?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/243260899/MIT-Mars-One-Study#scribd
Yeah, they're never going to get flight clearance at this rate. It will also be far worse if they do and everyone dies, because then you'll have morons saying it's impossible for people to go to Mars period, because a bunch of fools launched a mission doomed to failure because they don't know what they're doing.

Mars One, in its current state, cannot be allowed to launch. It could set back Mars exploration for decades.

Yeah. They have inspiring optimism, but unfortunately no amount of can-do attitude will keep out hard vacuum, nor will it provide adequate calories or protect from equipment failure. I believe it can be done, but not yet. We can't afford to blow our maiden voyage on disaster.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

But do you think they'll manage to send that unmanned mission in 2018?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

IIRC, the contracted Lockheed and a few other compagnies to build it for them. So as long as they have money, they'll launch.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, but do they have the money?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

According to their website, they have 750 000 USD revenue.

So no, they don't, unless they have really big sponsors.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, so far, their entire revenue stream seems to be collecting application fees from wannabe astronauts.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's been some voices here and there that it might be a scam for money. I don't think that's the case, but it's something we might want to keep in mind.

Pages: 1 2 [3]