Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Undead should not be intelligent, they should be slow and unable to block/dodge.  (Read 25163 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least zombies should be this way, maybe Husks could have some intelligence but at the moment becoming undead turns a peasant into a very skilled fighter. This should not be the case. Strength should be very high but agility should be non-existent.

Myself and my companions got decimated in Adventure mode by 3 undead Geese. They dodged almost every strike i attempted despite being very highly skilled. Not to mention they are nearly impossible to sneak up on unlike living enemies.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:26:27 pm by Borge »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

they should be weaker alright

atm they will murder them happy fun stuff like geese
._.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

I was legendary in almost everything but dodging. After preparing for a tower assault, gathering fifteen silver mace wielders and slaughtering hundreds of dingoes and wolves until they were good, macro throwing until I was a legendary thrower, kicker, biter, striker, misc object user, maceman, and wrestler, thank you mr. amethyst man, wielding a platinum artifact mace and shield, and grabbed tons of silver maces for throwing in a city's three weapon shops, I thought I was ready. We assembled outside the tower, a few giant boars enticing a couple zombies out apparently, as some boars ran by us followed by zombies. So we attacked. Five corpses, three companions each plus me. I struck for the hand, hoping to disable punches. It dodged. Then another punched me in the steel masterwork helmet and leather hooded head. I was knocked out. My companions slaughtered. They killed me in three kicks.

THIS is why I hate the undead.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 12:10:50 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, the undead really need a huge nerf.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile

Zombie's toughness and strength boosts should decay along with their flesh. I can buy that a fresh corpse would be stronger and tougher than a person due to no inhibitions, but walking skeletons and animated hair should be as useless as a golden axe.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No idea why Zombies / undead are so strong.
Basically they should have their strength in numbers and the ease of "Re-animation" by an evil sorcerer / priest , modern style zombies are quick and deadly , but even so they don't have the strength to bite through chainmail (their teeth would break) or even punch an well armored human / dwarf to death.

But a horde could manage to get hold of a humanoid and tear of limbs if caught by numbers. Single handedly they shouldnt be much of a threat...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

The fact zombies are very strong in df2014 is not really disturbing me, but the fact they're dodging and jumping around to avoid your strikes or just parrying/blocking them as if they were living beings trying to survive is really a problem for immersion.

They're animated dead things, they shouldn't give any value for their existence or be intelligent enough by themselves to dodge , parry or block.

Now for the abnormal strength of their strikes, to make it more balanced (as it's not unusual to have a hundred of undead to go through if you approach a tower and a lucky hit from an undead can chip a bone , leading to your character becoming unconscious = game over) maybe it should be linked with the presence or not of their master in range to them.

If the necromancer/whatever is their master is not around of is destroyed, maybe their strength should drop noticably as without guidance or power from their master, they wouldn't be as dangerous.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:14:58 pm by Robsoie »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile

I was legendary in almost everything but dodging. After preparing for a tower assault, gathering fifteen silver mace wielders and slaughtering hundreds of dingoes and wolves until they were good, macro throwing until I was a legendary thrower, kicker, biter, striker, misc object user, maceman, and wrestler, thank you mr. amethyst man, wielding a platinum artifact mace and shield, and grabbed tons of silver maces for throwing in a city's three weapon shops, I thought I was ready. We assembled outside the tower, a few giant boars enticing a couple zombies out apparently, as some boars ran by us followed by zombies. So we attacked. Five corpses, three companions each plus me. I struck for the hand, hoping to disable punches. It dodged. Then another punched me in the steel masterwork helmet and leather hooded head. I was knocked out. My companions slaughtered. They killed me in three kicks.

THIS is why I hate the undead.

I have never heard of anything that screams NERF ME so loudly....normaly I say that if you think it's op the you need to game better.....this is not one of those times.....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't really mind the undead being a bit over powered... I mean, yea they're OP as all hell... But I don't mind it. They're meant to add a huge challenge I think, and it's one of the great things I love. :3 However, I do see what you guys are saying... Is the undead curse hardcoded? If it isn't then you can change it to make them weaker (or even stronger if you're insane and/or a masochist :P) but yea, a difficulty setting for undead would be nice.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure it's hard coded right now. The only thing I can say to change is to go into Advanced Worldgen and take away the Secrets, since those create Necromancers in the first place.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure it's hard coded right now. The only thing I can say to change is to go into Advanced Worldgen and take away the Secrets, since those create Necromancers in the first place.
But then again, it's extremely easy to avoid them in the first place. The only way to encounter zombies is to willingly embark near or adventure towards a tower.

We could have 3 kinds of zombies, though. We could have husks which are still husks, but the current zombies should be called "Damned Dead" or something of the sort and have those reside within carnival spires, while the 34.11 undead which were still pretty damn deadly could be the default for necromancers and mummies. Maybe the normal undead could have different strength bonuses depending on if they still have a majority of their flesh and muscle-mass or not. (Looking at you, tombs.)
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile

Unarmed attacks are generally far too strong at the moment. Reducing the strength of punches and kicks, especially against armour, would also bring the undead within sensible bounds of strength. That, and stopping characters from passing out in the middle of battle from a chipped toe bone.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is the undead curse hardcoded? If it isn't then you can change it to make them weaker (or even stronger if you're insane and/or a masochist :P) but yea, a difficulty setting for undead would be nice.

I think the code for those is in the raws under the file "interaction examples", I believe that the Necromancer one is "interaction_secret" with this being the zombie's code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Glancing at the wiki, you should be able to use "CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE" (they have this already, just add others to it) to change the attributes relating to Dodging (I think Agility and Endurance, maybe Toughness too) which if lowered will also have a bit of an effect on other skills. Bright side, as they are thoughtless they don't gain any skills and they don't raise with any either.
Edit:
Also, for slowing them down there is a Syndrome Token "CE_SPEED_CHANGE" that can change their speed, if you'd like to make them slower (or speed them up if you want that). I've not done modding in a long time, but I think it would be "[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:%:START:0]" (Percent Change of ingame speed, so higher is faster and I think 50 would half the speed) or "[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_ADD:#:START:0]" (I think it alters the raw's speed value, so lower is faster but not sure if it adds/subtracts or sets to the number). Should note, I'm not 100% sure on if the "CE_SPEED_CHANGE" (specifically SPEED_ADD) is still usable, as the wiki says it alters the "SPEED" token, which was changed out for more specific tokens. Also, I think the "START:0" part can be altered to slow them down after having be raised for a bit (I think the number is turn delays to start effect?)
(Sorry if there are any errors, it's a bit late and I haven't done modding in awhile)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:14:53 am by Aranna »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile

Interesting they have no blood.

spoilered : modforum
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It would be fair if animated corpses would degrade as unanimated ones would...
I don't recall, they don't spread miasma either where they should as composed of rotting meat, but this may just because usually I've met them outside.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:01:52 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile

The fact zombies are very strong in df2014 is not really disturbing me, but the fact they're dodging and jumping around to avoid your strikes or just parrying/blocking them as if they were living beings trying to survive is really a problem for immersion.

They're animated dead things, they shouldn't give any value for their existence or be intelligent enough by themselves to dodge , parry or block.

Now for the abnormal strength of their strikes, to make it more balanced (as it's not unusual to have a hundred of undead to go through if you approach a tower and a lucky hit from an undead can chip a bone , leading to your character becoming unconscious = game over) maybe it should be linked with the presence or not of their master in range to them.

If the necromancer/whatever is their master is not around of is destroyed, maybe their strength should drop noticably as without guidance or power from their master, they wouldn't be as dangerous.

Considering that they've already gone through the effort of reanimating them, I can't really see why a necromancer wouldn't add the comparatively minor ability to think for itself; movement and object recognition is a lot harder than sapience.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:20:07 am by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10