Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Undead should not be intelligent, they should be slow and unable to block/dodge.  (Read 25205 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure it's hard coded right now. The only thing I can say to change is to go into Advanced Worldgen and take away the Secrets, since those create Necromancers in the first place.
But then again, it's extremely easy to avoid them in the first place. The only way to encounter zombies is to willingly embark near or adventure towards a tower.

We could have 3 kinds of zombies, though. We could have husks which are still husks, but the current zombies should be called "Damned Dead" or something of the sort and have those reside within carnival spires, while the 34.11 undead which were still pretty damn deadly could be the default for necromancers and mummies. Maybe the normal undead could have different strength bonuses depending on if they still have a majority of their flesh and muscle-mass or not. (Looking at you, tombs.)

Reposting because it's still relevant.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

To contribute once more. Toady has said that the current difficulty of undead is not fully intended, so we will likely see changes in new versions.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's happening!!!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's happening!!!

There is something oddly satisfying about an OP returning to his year-old complaint thread (and what a valid complaint it was), having received his due.

Also,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's happening!!!

I still can't believe how many people were trying to pull the "Oh but undead are better/make more sense as god-slayers!"..."Just look, all you have to do is *MANY OBSCURE TECHNIQUES IN FULL ARMOR* and you've got a 50/50 chance!"

...I swear, if Toady accidentally made flowers land mines, a decent chunk of the community would believe it's a feature and a completely normal/reasonable way of life.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:03:08 pm by quekwoambojish »

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's happening!!!

I still can't believe how many people were trying to pull the "Oh but undead are better/make more sense as god-slayers!"..."Just look, all you have to do is *MANY OBSCURE TECHNIQUES IN FULL ARMOR* and you've got a 50/50 chance!"

...I swear, if Toady accidentally made flowers land mines, a decent chunk of the community would believe it's a feature and a completely normal/reasonable way of life.

"All Dwarves have incredibly severe pollen allergies. That's just canon, and you're an idiot for suggesting otherwise."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

There was a brief period in DF 2012 where adventure mode was impossible because almost every step you took started an ambush. A lot of people were of the opinion that this was just making the game more "fun" or even "realistic" and insisted that everybody else just needed to man up.
 It's not unique to dwarf fortress though, hell it's not even unique to games. When you go to any forum for a thing there are people who will insist beyond all reason that everything is perfect. Like go to the forum for a piece of software and I'd say about half of all responses are telling people what assholes they are for daring to question the developers.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile

There was a brief period in DF 2012 where adventure mode was impossible because almost every step you took started an ambush. A lot of people were of the opinion that this was just making the game more "fun" or even "realistic" and insisted that everybody else just needed to man up.
 It's not unique to dwarf fortress though, hell it's not even unique to games. When you go to any forum for a thing there are people who will insist beyond all reason that everything is perfect. Like go to the forum for a piece of software and I'd say about half of all responses are telling people what assholes they are for daring to question the developers.

DF manages to gather so much rabid teeth-gnashing because a lot of people consider it to be a 'sekrit club' of sorts.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

I've gotta say though, the undead are rather. . . disappointing now. Like I expected them to be taken down to "challenging" rather than "essentially impossible" but a reasonably skilled adventurer can carve a swathe through them with little effort.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

They're about as dangerous as they were in .34 and earlier, I think. The difference being that they don't go down in exactly two hits, but the corpse and any severed bits can't be reanimated once pulped. I remember losing fortresses to endlessly reanimating hair.
Thralls and mummies are still deadly; they're essentially .40 zombies but only form from evil clouds or in tombs, respectively.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

0.34 zombies didn't go down in exactly two hits, IIRC it was something to do with hit force or something along those lines. A Super Saiyan could always manage to oneshot zombies in Sparking while a human punching would take much longer.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Oh yeah, they had hitpoints or something I think? I don't recall it ever taking more than two hits, for what it's worth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Not gonna lie, that sounds like awesome idea for evil biomes. You pick up a flower, hear a click and BOOM, melting slime in your face.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

That reminds me, one thing I noticed about current zombies after streaming a few days ago - they seem to go down even from injuries that are non-lethal even for still-living beings.

I've seen zombies take arrows that merely tear the stomach and such, and they get "shot and killed" even though they are still in usable condition and can be raised again immediately.

Also, in the previous version you'd have to sever the head and the arms or hands for a zombie to be rendered unusable without pulping it - now I noticed if you sever just the head or just one arm/hand they go down, although they can be raised again immediately, unless they're already missing both of the other "required" parts.

I'm confused, since I'm not sure if these are bugs or balancing features.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10