Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 51684 times)

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile

Kellan looked out across the lands surrounding the wagon.  They had arrived at last.  The leader of the group stepped out of the wagon, and said confidently "I dub this fortress-to-be... Shadowgrave!"  Kellan rolled his eyes in exasperation.  "Of all the possible names..." he thought to himself, but said nothing.  He had been offered the position as leader of the group, but had declined.  He was tired of being relied on for various things.  That was part of why he had left the mountainhomes.  Anyhow, they were here now, and it was time to get to work.  Before the zombies and the goblins came.  Because they would come...

Arrival:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rules

Welcome to Shadowgraves, a new bloodline/succession game.  Here are the rules you'll need to know:

• Each turn lasts from the 1st day of spring until the last day of winter in game.  It must last no more than a week IRL.  If you have to forfeit your turn partway through, the next player plays the rest of your turn, and their turn as well.
  • Each player is allowed to name one dwarf each turn.  They may name them whatever they wish.  If you don't want to play, you can still get a dwarf named after you, if there are enough to go around (there's a list for this)
  • Saves need to be uploaded within a week of when you post, saying you've downloaded the save (this is mandatory).  Otherwise, you forfeit your turn.  Also, if you don't download the save within two days once it has been uploaded, you forfeit your turn.
  • We will be using the Dwarf Fortress File Depot to upload and download saves.  If you don't know what it is, google it.

Turn List
1. darokindefender- finished
2. SkaiaMechanic- skipped
3. maxcat61-finished
4. Dorsidwarf-finished
5. perigrin-skipped
6. xub313-finished
7.Loyal-skipped
8. than402-skipped
9. SkaiaMechanic-skipped
10. maxcat61-finished
11. perigrin-current
12. Terabalt
13. Iamblichos
14. PyroTechno
15. Chaoseed
16. SkaiaMechanic
17. maxcat61
etc, etc

There are plenty of turns available, so apply now while supplies last!  :P

Dworfing List

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?

This list will only be used if we have too many dworfing requests, and not enough dwarves.  Otherwise, it won't come into play.

I'll finish my year soon, and post the save and some more updates.  Who's ready for some !!fun!!

Game Logs

For easy access:
Year One
Year Two pt. 1
Year Two pt. 2
Year Two pt. 3
Year Two pt. 4
Year Two pt. 5
Year Two pt. 6
Year Two pt. 7
Year Two pt. 8
Year Two pt. 9
Year Three pt. 1
Year Three pt. 2
Year Three pt. 3 -this part is actually two consecutive posts, so keep going after the first one.
Year Three pt. 4 -this part is also two consecutive posts
Year Three pt. 5
Year Three pt. 6
Year Three pt. 7
Year Four pt. 1
Year Four pt. 2
Year Four pt. 3
Year Four pt. 4
Year Four pt. 5
Year Five pt. 1 -this part is two consecutive posts.
Year Five pt. 2 -this part is two consecutive posts.
Year Five pt. 3
Year Five pt. 4
Year Five pt. 5
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:47:39 am by darokindefender »
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 11:25:24 pm »

WOOOOOOOOOO New Succession fort.
I am in. Can I have 2nd year and be dwarfed as "Minion"? If someone else wants 2nd year more, I can take 3rd.
I honestly would prefer 3rd year more: fun stuff happens then.
It looks like a good location. I wish it included the river, but I guess that we can't have everything. I presume that this is vanilla un-moded df?
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:30:07 pm »

I'll take second year then. Looking forward to it!
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 11:50:35 pm »

Yep, Vanilla 0.40.23.  Advanced perimeters world, but no major changes.  Only mod is lowered population cap (120).  Just to make things a bit tougher.  Necromancer and Goblin neighbors, as well as Dwarves, Elves, and Humans.  Kobolds are conquered AFAIK.  I added both of you to the list.  Maxcat, you can dwarf yourself when your turn comes around, since you are a player.

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:18:35 am »

Kellan set down his mug of ale, and thought back over the previous year.  It had been a good year.  The colony was established.  It had also been a slow year.  Only two major events had occurred.  The first was in summer, when a pack of giant dingos had devoured several of the colony's chickens, before being driven off.  The second was when the broker had entered some sort of trance, and fashioned a magnificent... wooden earring.  Ah, well, could have been worse.  Well, he had to get back to work soon.  It was a mystery what the next year might hold.

Screenshots (at year end):

Fort Level One:

Fort Level Two:

Fort Level Three:

And here is the save link http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10362

And it looks like SkaiaMechanic is up next.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 02:37:14 am »

Wow. That was...fast. Luckily,  I have most of Thurs and Fri to pump out an update of my own! I'll get this done as fast as I can, while still providing a good story.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 05:20:55 am »

Sign me up for this community fort!
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 12:31:30 pm »

Wow. That was...fast. Luckily,  I have most of Thurs and Fri to pump out an update of my own! I'll get this done as fast as I can, while still providing a good story.

Well, I had already played until autumn before I started the succession game.  That's why I didn't have screenshots for either of the major events.  My apologies for not clarifying.

@Dorsidwarf: I added you to the list.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 06:24:30 pm »

Journal of SkaiaMechanic

28th Obsidian, Year 100

I've recently arrived to Shadowgraves. Upon arrival, I was called over by a dwarf who called himself "Kellen" the current overseer. He gave me a short welcome, and asked if I was willing to work hard for the fort, its people, and the glory of all dwarfkind. Of course I answered that of course I was, and if there's anything I could help with he just needed to let me know.

"Great!" he said, "because you're now Overseer. Good luck."

I froze in place, startled at the new assignment. I soon ran after him, asking for any more information he could give me on what's going on in this fortress. He calmly shrugged his shoulders and said something about a pack of giant dingos as well as an artifact earring. "But what about the current supplies, nobles, military, trade requests, general layout?" He shrugged again. "Eh." And with that, he was off.

So let's take a look at what's going on here.

What in Armok's name is going on here.

The bedrooms are literally just beds shoved behind a door, with no extra space, dug into the sand wall. The stockpiles are scattered randomly away from their actual workshops. There's a ton of rooms dug out for workshops, but only two of them are used. ..

And did I mention out of 22 dwarves, only TWO OF THEM ARE WORKING?

...I have a lot of work to do.

-----------

First off, if I can't do much about the layout I can at least connect some of these rooms together. I have the miners start tearing down walls as fast as they can.

And what about this wood? I mean, wood beds, sure, no other option. And you'd be a fool not to make a wooden bin and barrel.

It's just that almost EVERY THING IS THIS FORTRESS IS MADE OF WOOD. Tables, chairs, doors, everything! Who built this place, elves? I immediately call on the mason to start building some rock items right away.

Now, I'm a metalsmith by trade, and imagine my confusion when I find there's no furnace, smelter, or forge set up! Obviously, I corrected that right away. Now to make stockpiles of the items used for that.

...I need a drink.

-----------

2nd Granite, Year 101

Our stonecrafter has been taken by a fey mood! I hope we have what he needs...

...he's working with a single piece of churt rock. Seriously? I mean, get a LITTLE creative at least.

----------

8th Granite

Oh, he's already finished. And it's a 2400 urist bracelet. We're all very proud of you. Get back to work.

--------

16th Granite

Elves have arrived. With any luck they'll take the stupid bracelet so our fortress can stop being embarrassed about it.

-------

22nd Granite

Traded with elves. They had almost nothing of value. Their only food was a few fruits to make into booze, since everyone has been complaining about the single type we have.

Also, bought a panda. Want to train a War Panda and no one is going to stop me.

Trying to dig deeper and outwards. Hopefully find some ore of some kind.

OOC: (Also, using the newest version prevents dfhack and Therapist, which is more annoying than I thought.)

--------

8th Slate

Breached an underground cavern. Can only see a small area of it, and it's filled with troglodite skeletons, giant bat corpses, and a whole lot of miasma. Sounds like fun times ahead! How many military do we have again? Oh, that's right, zero!

And look at that, a whole bunch of Batmen and Batwomen. Blowgunners, spearmen, the whole 9 yards. Fighting crime, gathering plants, and....wait, they're all dead too? WHAT'S KILLING THESE THINGS?

-------

12th Slate

The ranger bore a girl. Congrats. Get back to work.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 07:26:58 pm »

I would like to apply for a turn in this.
never done a succession game before, seems like fun.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 07:43:12 pm »

can i be dorfed as thee leader of the military
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 08:08:13 pm »

13th Slate:

Broker gave birth to a boy. All cheer. Pick him up, let's go.

------

15th Slate:
Elves left. About time too.

-----

28th Slate:
So apparently after some research you can't bring War Pandas into battle. Who knew? Oh well, finding more dead stuff in the cave, going around, digging deeper to metals.

-----

2nd Felsite
C'mon migrants! Somebody useful, please!

----

7th Felsite
Nope. Useless, all of you. Well, I'm drafting anyone with any skill whatsoever into the military. I'll lead them for now so they don't goof off. Used to be a Macedwarf back in the day. Not that great of one, mind you, but good enough. I set up a room to train and we all go to it.

Also found metal! It's.....zinc! Woo? Okay, not that exciting, but it's something!

------

18th Felsite
Despite not making a path, Kellen has somehow found his way into the caverns, and is currently fighting a giant toad. I was worried for a moment, but he's actually doing quite well. I'll make a path for him to get out and then remember to block it later.

-----

19th Felsite
A section of cavern collapsed! This time, I had nothing to do with it, it's like a stalagtite just fell for some reason! And it fell in a random part of the cave, somehow landing squarely on Kellen.
So our first death was the previous overseer. Welp. That sets a dangerous precedent. I still don't know how he got stuck in the caverns in the first place!

Well, I guess I'm assigning the broker to all of Kellen's previous noble positions. Enjoy your new office, Dumat!

-----

21th Felsite

Okay, some dwarves are giving me the evil eye because our new broker/manager/bookkeeper just HAPPENS to be my wife. It's purely a coincidence. (Really, it was!)
Let's just all calm down now and...

Uh oh.
...what's a skink? Apparently some kind of lizard? You know what, it doesn't matter. Close the gate. Too bad for those outside the bridge, but I'm not risking it getting in.

But it's found a little too late.

Luckily, the nearby furnace operator runs up the nearby hill, drawing the werebeast's attention. We have some breathing room. CLOSE THE GATE!
And...it looks like time ran out anyways. I didn't know goblins could be infected. I just thought dwarves, humans and elves. Huh. Well, he's taking off, and the only person he bit is very dead. So...problem solved?

Wait, the furnace operator still isn't dead! He's very mostly dead, and we don't have a hospital or doctor, but still not dead! If he makes it to the next blood moon he'll survive, turn, and be fully healed. C'mon...please die....nothing personal....

--------

1st Hematite
HOW DID YOU EVEN GET THERE? YOU'RE FLYING FOR NO REASON AND NOW YOU'RE GOING TO DIE! GAAAAHHHH. Okay, that's it, caverns are blocked until further notice.

And...somehow still alive. Has that path back been made yet? We need it quickly!

-------

10th Hematite
Human caravan is here. All hands on deck. We could use some actual weapons here....

-------

18th Hematite
Traded for some mediocre weapons and shields. Plenty of food bought though.
A giant olm flew into the mineshaft, so my untrained squad ran and punched it to death. Go Team!

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 08:17:50 pm »

I would like to apply for a turn in this.
never done a succession game before, seems like fun.

Added you to the list.

@insanegame: that's up to SkaiaMechanic.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 08:21:33 pm »

We have werebeasts?

I lost my last two, beautiful, established fortresses to werebeasts.

With legendary plated spearmen.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 08:23:01 pm »

were beast suck. i just got a were turtle. took forever to put the bastard down, it was just year two with copper and bronze weapons. the glancing blows torment me terribly
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26