Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Welcome to Hell  (Read 1226 times)

hyperbard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Welcome to Hell
« on: April 26, 2015, 06:10:10 pm »

...Or, as the Dwarves - my minions - call it, "Knightpaddled", which means Arzesiden in their bizarre language.

If you want water, you're out of luck.  Magma we have by the ocean ((it makes one wonder if someday we'll see magma aquifers??)), but no water.  Occasionally we've managed to buy some form of drink from the traders.  However, I'm just thankful we set down a ton of farmland early on; at least the Brewers have stuff they can mill into some form of booze!

...That is, when they survive.  We have pretty regular were outbreaks here.  It tends to weed off any idle dwarves.  At one point I was thinking "that's it, the end is near," when we were down to three scared children - a Giant Cave Spider had been beaten up just enough to be stuck ALIVE right in the stairwell opening into the dorm area, you see - and this one guy.  And then, whaddya know, migrants came.

Migrants come the other half of the time from weres, here. 

But wait, there's more!  We're also the Fortress That Kills Off Traders.  Two so far have been taken out by this menace ((or blessing?)).  One was a human caravan, and the other a packed dwarven one (oops, I'd send apologies to the authorities up at the Main Mountain, but I don't want to spread were-ism).  The latter was a freak bit of luck because it meant I suddenly had metal in a fortress that had, till then, chalk and lignite to speak of.

And then there's Urvad.  Oh, dear Urvad.  He seems to like me because he, the most irritating dwarf I've ever met, followed me from another fortress.  ((not even kidding here))  Back there, at the start of his career, he was just The Dwarf Who Gave 110 Percent.  ((I'd change his settings, and somehow they'd be changed again by the time I checked again.)) He somehow knew how to gather spider silk even back then without getting killed, but he also got himself involved in EVERYTHING ELSE... fast-forward to THIS fortress, and Urvad came with the first wave of migrants.  Suddenly he's down in the caverns, and it's like he's the Spider Whisperer or something because he can wander around among Giant Cave Spiders without harm, bopping around along the cliffs (Urvad the Wizard apparently deigns not to use the STAIRWELL).  Urvad was finally killed by a were rhinoceros ((but I have a feeling I'll see him again)).

Which leads me to the piece de resistance of this fortress:  spider silk.  Bolts and bolts of spider silk.  You have no idea how much cave spider silk, recluse spider silk, and giant spider silk we have here.  There's no water to be had in the caverns, just mud, a teeny bit of gem and metal, and spider silk.

Wow, I hate this fortress!

hyperbard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to Hell
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 06:15:40 pm »

Oh, ((my husband just reminded me)) I forgot about the ghosts.  You see, we just can't make coffins fast enough to support the many, many deaths going on here, so the fortress is invariably swarming with spirits most of the time.

Oh sigh. 

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 12:40:17 am »

Reminds me of a fort I once had. I was in a thrall cloud zone, and a migrant wave spawned inside of it. By the time that I had closed the bridge, my fort had gone from 30 dwarfs (excluding migrants) to 3 (A mason, an engraver, and a child). I spent the next year making slabs and engraving them, because there was no way I was going to open the door.  Another migrant wave arrived, and everyone was killed by the thrall of the previous militia commander. No were beasts at that fort, but who needs them when a single thrall can kill an entire migrant wave.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

hyperbard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 02:13:25 am »

I don't think I recall a thrall attacking before, but there were a couple fortresses where I got the message about the undead attacking, and - well, you might have seen this one - that pretty well says "The End" (about as well as a were-rhinoceros does lol)!

hyperbard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 02:20:45 am »

Hell update:

still attempting to find water down here... an elven caravan came by, but SOMEONE threw a tantrum and wrecked the Trade Depot.  So, we did the next logical thing and attacked the elves.  ((*G*))  Apparently the dwarves were thrilled with this, so much so that they elected our first mayor.  He's now installed in rooms formerly belonging to a Baroness... she was killed three years ago during a were outbreak ((I think it was a were-sheep that time)).

Recently acquired a large amount of migrants, so I've now divided up the digging time between trying to find water and trying to get to the adamantite down here.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 11:06:02 am »

Reminds me of a fort I had. It was undead sieges that provided the cullings, as I refused to use traps and enlisted the entire fort in the military, so every couple of years a good few dwarves would be killed and half of the survivors would have a limb or two torn off. Good times. I should find that save, IIRC I planned to make a legitimate unexploity assault on hell in that fort.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game