Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 51673 times)

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 08:28:50 pm »

Werebeasts can be pretty nasty.  I have a system I built in one of my fortress simply for killing werebeasts, but it took several years to build.

@SkaiaMechanic: great story so far.

Mine, not so much.  ::)

Guess I'm not the most creative person.
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 08:49:44 pm »

21st Hematite:
Mason gave birth to a girl. The end.
-----
26th Hematite:
Bone carver took over a craftdwarf shop. Hope it's better than the last two artifacts.
-----
27th Hematite:
More Migrants! Come one, come all! Plenty of room, little to do for some reason. Hope you don't mind waiting for a bed, cause I got nothin'.
Also, the artifact got everything required and went to work. Let's see what happens.
-----
4th Malachite
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not bad! 28800 bucks. That's a decent artifact right there. And we have a legendary bone carver now. Go nuts, I guess.
-----
10th Malachite
Miners won't dig out the bedrooms yet, so made a small dormitory. That'll work for now.
-----
14th Malachite
Humans left.

Ummmm...you guys DID block the hole I told you to so things like this couldn't get in, RIGHT?
-----
18th Malachite
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF---------Oh god I won't let this end by the second turn....please not. EVERYONE ATTACK! EVERYONE!
AHHHHHHH!!!!

Zerg rushes always work, right?
I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 08:58:39 pm »

Uh OH.
If I were you, I would save the game, and have masons seal the stairways as high as you can, and hope for the best. Maybe even wall off a dwarf into the food stockpiles to stay alive till migrants come again.
Good Luck
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 09:05:07 pm »

wait, that kangaroo bone harp has pictures of AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT KANGAROO BONE HARP?!?!?!?!? also, fucking forgotten beasts.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 09:24:06 pm »

Well, things have certainly escalated quickly.

I hate forgotten beasts.
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 09:33:53 pm »

19th Malachite:
So THAT didn't go well. The battle rages on, several of the people I threw into a random squad are dead, along with a couple children.
And yet, despite all reason otherwise, the battle's going okay?
I mean, sure, it's tearing through the dwarves like tissue paper since we have no armor whatsoever, but we're actually HURTING it! Yay! Hopefully that extract doesn't do anything bad, because now that the right wing is torn open it's being sprayed everywhere.

------
20th Malachite:
Okay, now it's in a rage mode. We're still trying to get past it's giant scale with our inferior weapons.
Only some of the actual troops have arrived, the zerg rush is just stalling it for now. Quite a few have died already.
C'mon, injure it's organs! Rip and tear it's huge guts! DO SOMETHING AWESOME!
I assigned my Legendary Miner to a militia captain. It seems to have been a good idea, save for the copper weapon.

I order my wife the broker and 7 other dwarves into a squad and tell them to get out of here. Aim for the bottleneck near the top, and seal it off. With luck we can wall off an area in time. No Dwarf Therapist makes this annoying.

Meanwhile, the battle still has hope. We've broken past it's thick body and have bruised the heart and guts. Victory might actually be possible!
It's still a vicious battle, and we're running out of time and dwarves to finish or even to hold it off.

------

21st Malachite
The military is basically dead. All trained and armed soldiers are dead. I'M DEAD. Only 4 remain of the zerg rush.
Everyone else I assign a burrow to the needed wall. We have to get it up NOW.
Everyone rushes, my wife and about 15 others panic in the area, grabbing boulders from both sides to fix the wall.
Finally, it is finished, with quite a few left on the wrong side.

The wall secure, I draft everyone on the wrong side to a zerg squad. This isn't gonna be pretty.
My heart stops. My wife, holder of basically ALL the positions left...is trapped one square on the other side of the wall. Do I dare tear it down and try to bring her back over? Or should I leave the safe ones safe? Time stops as I consider the plan from beyond the grave.
It's too much of a loss. Anyone else could sacrifice her, but not I. I take down one section of wall.

I unpause the game, ready to make my rush....

The game crashes. I facepalm in sadness.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2015, 09:43:37 pm »

the plot thickens. we might actually have to reset.

fuck.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 09:44:02 pm »

« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:51:57 pm by maxcat61 »
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2015, 09:53:35 pm »

I am so used to autosaving seasonally with either the Starter Pack or Masterwork. Without those two things, that didn't happen. I should have saved a copy like suggested, I just wanted it to play out naturally. Still should have saved, even if I wasn't making a copy.

Everything is lost. No matter how much I try it keeps happening.

A moment of what could be, but won't. Either way, I can't do that again. The last time it saved was near the beginning of my turn at a new year.

I've uploaded the save from the beginning of the year, next person in line can take it. Sorry everyone! I invested too much time and effort to restart it personally. I still had fun though, and it's great experience (in many ways) for this kind of thing. This was my first part in a community fortress. Now I know better tactics, like to save at every month or so. Thanks for the opportunity!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10367

Reset!

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2015, 09:55:45 pm »

well maxcat, your up. also, could we put a limit of a day to announce you have started participating? so that we dont have to wait a full week for someone who forgot they signed up. just saying/

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2015, 09:57:49 pm »

Well then, I guess it is my turn then. I think that I can keep this FB incident from ever happening.

Lets do this!

also
also, could we put a limit of a day to announce you have started participating? so that we dont have to wait a full week for someone who forgot they signed up. just saying
I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you phrase it a little better?

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 09:58:23 pm »

i just want to say that im imagining that as some guy who showed up, fell asleep, had horrible leech filled nightmares, woke up, and promptly got him and his wife the FUCK out of dodge, foreseeing a grim future if they remained.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2015, 09:59:39 pm »

Well then, I guess it is my turn then. I think that I can keep this FB incident from ever happening.

Lets do this!

also
also, could we put a limit of a day to announce you have started participating? so that we dont have to wait a full week for someone who forgot they signed up. just saying
I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you phrase it a little better?
you have 24 hours to say "Yes, i am alive, and actively working on my turn!" so that we dont end up waiting the full week like the OP said for someone who forgot they signed up to have a turn.

EDIT: OOPS, there already is this rule, but for two days. ignore me, im a retard who didnt fully read the rules.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 10:01:13 pm by perigrin »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2015, 10:04:20 pm »

Will there be any problems if I use Phoebus Graphics set on this save/future saves? I usually use vanilla graphics, but I needed an excuse to use better graphics, and delayed switching till now.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2015, 10:06:02 pm »

Will there be any problems if I use Phoebus Graphics set on this save/future saves? I usually use vanilla graphics, but I needed an excuse to use better graphics, and delayed switching till now.
the last guy did, and im going to, so go ahead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26