Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 51166 times)

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 10:19:33 pm »

Save Works. Will start playing now.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 10:47:40 pm »

Well, that was interesting.  SkaiaMechanic, do you want another turn further down the line?  I'll mark your previous turn as skipped, since it technically wasn't completed.
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 11:15:54 pm »

Diary of a Mad Minion: Part 1

Today is a terrible day for me. I went to bed last night as a humble minion, and woke up with this crazy hat on. Everyone seems to think that I am the overseer now, despite my best efforts to convince them to chose someone else. They seem quite convinced, so I might as well make the most out of this situation.

Lets start with the stocks:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not bad, though I do want to start making prepared meals. The amount of booze is a pleasant surprise from what I was expecting (specifically, none).

I think we need a evil horde defensive force to buy time via meat-shields protect the citizens. They will be looked up by all, and have the 2nd best quarters in the fort (after the Nobles, of course). An I will be leading them.

Why are there 3 metalworkers (sort of) in a fort of 22 dwarvers? We only need 1 for now. I am making a militia, and the other will be a miner.

* I have not unpaused it yet, just been looking around and deciding what to do. Tell me if I should make the pictures smaller.
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2015, 11:21:24 pm »

Seems good to me.  Hopefully this try goes better than the last.

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2015, 11:50:43 pm »

This is really interesting. I would like to join please.

I've always wanted to get involved in a vanilla succession game. And I also want to get more involved with the community. This seems perfect.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 12:13:16 am »

I have decided that the workshop placements need to be rearranged in order to make more sense (both for me, and any of my followers). As such, I have decided to put all the food workshops on the same level as the farm. I will also build a stockpile for food/booze too.

As mentioned in the dream that my fellow dwarf, SkaiaMechanic had, the "bedrooms" are quite disappointing. As soon as I can, they will get proper 3x2 bedrooms, in stone, not dirt.

12th of Granite
The construction of the stone workshops has been completed. 4 masons shops, 4 craft-dwarf workshops, 2 mechanics workshops, 4 jewelers, and a smithing set (furnace, forge, smelter). This level will be full of industry. Maybe someone else can find uses for the empty spaces?

I designated the bedrooms. If more migrants arrive, I can easily designate more. This design saves on the amount of doors needed, which is nice. It is also deep enough to not have dwarves awaken from noise.

I believe that an idle miner does should not exist, and that miners should only mine (no hauling or anything else). Because I know how much the miners love to work, I even designated some barracks for them to dig in their spare time. It is a level below the workshops, so there should be some quick responses in case of emergency. Squads of 8 dwarves with 1 commander would be preferable. I have dug out rooms for 2 squads, which can be expanded at leisure. The middle 2 rooms are for the Hammer and the Captain of the Guard, whenever we get those.

Ps. I noticed that we have a large amount of hens (around 8 or so). Should I make a nest room and seal it?

*The game is running too fast: I don't have enough time to play and decide what to build. I am accustom to 200 dwarfs, 4x4 embarks with 30 fps at best. Also, Skaia, you have been dwarfed as the miner/engineer. Welcome to the Forums Xub.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 12:21:47 am »

@Xub: I added you to the list.

@maxcat: I was going to do that, but I ran out of time.

The fort will slow down as more migrants arrive.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 12:23:49 am »

damn, this fort is comparatively well laid out. im going to put a screeny of the main levels of my current year three fort. in a spoiler real quick. its NOT neat at all. Also, warning, lotsa big images under this. its a mess compaired to most forts.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 12:25:32 am »

This fort is still young.  It could go either way as far as organization goes.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 01:06:44 am »

And because of the multiple overseers, it could change drastically from year to year. I know of one fort I participated in a long time ago where the second-year overseer abandoned basically everything the first-year guy had done and started digging just out a new fortress to the south.

Speaking of, I'd like to be put on the list for a turn playing, if you please.

Also, can we have the OP updated with links to each post containing an update to the playthrough? Would be useful for later.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 09:35:54 am »

I'll add you to the list.  I suppose I could add links as well.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 02:56:30 pm »

16th of Granite
"Sir, The elves have arrived"
Only 2 merchants? Simple enough to deal with. I have a moral question about dealing with them: Do I kill them and risk losing dwarves, or pull the lever and have the bridge teach them how to fly? As I contemplate the pros and cons slaughtering the elves, a lone dwarf pipes up "Why don't we trade with them? We have enough stuff to give them our junk".
Brilliant. I have come up with the idea to trade with them and take their stuff. This unfortunately means that I cannot sell the large spiked wooden balls that I have been making, but whatever.
   They didn't have much, so I took all their food, some rope, and a some caged animals. Specifically, a caged Grizzly and Giant Panda. I will put those 2 in cages by the entrance to be released as a last resort. I have clearly labeled both levers so that there will be no accidents later on.

12th of Slate.
The ranger and the broker both just gave birth to girls. More mouths to feed that do no productive work. I have heard rumors about an infamous day care center in another fort. Perhaps someone will try to recreate it here later?

14th of Slate.
Elves have left. Did a little dance as they left the map. Good riddance.

17th of Slate. A new expedition leader has been elected. Apparently the population does not support cloaked, mysterious leaders.

Felsite the 2nd
Migrants! Good, What do we have here? A ranger, an animal dissector, a siege engineer, a peasant, a fish dissector, and a soap maker. All I need now is a cheesemaker. The peasant has some skills with a war hammer, so I recruit her into the militia.
Spoke too soon. A cheesemaker just showed up. He is mighty and durable, so I will also recruit him into the militia as well.
Nesting area is completed. I am digging some areas for coffins and slabs.

21st Felsite.

Carp.

My militia has wooden training wepapons, and no armour. I also have a novice wrestler. I am saving the game, and am going to try to turtle through this.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »

Crisis Averted.
The beast ripped 2 yak's into a lot a very small pieces, and transformed back into a goblin. Time to send out the militia.
As expected, the naked goblin was faster them the militia, and escaped.

Total casualties:
Dwarfs: 0
Attackers: 0
Animals/livestock: 2

On the up side, It looks like there will be meat to eat now.

Hematite 16th
Day to day tasks have been done. Nothing really interesting has happened. The human caravan has arrived. Time to get Armour and Weapons.
Using only 20 spiked wooden balls, I got all of their food, booze, cheese, armor, shields, and most of their weapons. They had no anvils, so I couldn't get any. Time to melt down their large junk and get appropriately sized weapons/armor. I even got myself a masterwork silver hip flask.

Hematite 21st
Mason gave birth to another girl.

Hematite 24th
I have this odd feeling. I have an idea, but I cannot put it into words. I must build it.

Hematite 28th
I must use a forge.
Some migrants arrived.

Malchite 6th.

I have finished it, WaywardCrossed. It is glorious, and worth 87,600 Ursts. I think that I will use it personally.

Found a use for the old bedrooms: A hospital/hospice. I need to make some traction benches, and find a source of water for a well.

25th Malchite
The miners have found marble. Now all we need is Iron, and we can have some Steel.
While they were digging, they found something else too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:19:48 pm by maxcat61 »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 04:44:00 pm »

There are dead Batmen and Troglodytes Everywhere. There must have been some kind of grudge match in the caverns. I can only see one living creature down there: It is a troglodyte with no damage, and no kills. It must have shown up late to the party, I guess.

27th Malchite
The woodcutter has given birth to a boy, and weapons are starting to be made at the forge.

29th Malchite
A bunch of Grey Laguire men came out of nowhere. They all got caught in cage traps. Now what do I do with them? For now, I am linking them to the same emergency lever as the panda and the bear.

14th Galana
Ran out of wood. Sending out woodcutters ASAP.

18th Galana
Wood problem resolved. I have ordered the leveling of the entire forest to prevent future problems, and am constructiong storerooms inside the fort to hold more wood.
The miners have found Sphalerite, so we have zinc metal now.

I have decided that we need a large wood storage area in case the fort needs to be sealed. I will say no more about it till my turn is over.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:50:48 pm by maxcat61 »

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 04:52:09 pm »

That gold buckler is pretty sweet! I expect it'll be useful for those shield bash attacks too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26