Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 51753 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2015, 07:24:30 am »

Yes, I'll¥ try reinstalling it.

Got it. It's a .23 save and I'm on .22
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:48:07 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2015, 08:02:55 am »

Booting up shadowgraves.

FIRST IMPRESSION: Ew Argh oh my brain. That's a lot of lentil plants.
SECOND IMPRESSION: Something is awfully, awfully wrong here. All the loam, clay, sand, and most of the rock has aäå s all over it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:05:46 am by Dorsidwarf »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2015, 08:21:35 am »

1st Granite
I have arrived here in shadowgraves. What the future holds, who knows!

2nd Granite
After a brief chat with the Chief Doctor, I am aware that we have a dead dwarf who doesn't know it yet. None of the caverns have been discovered to have water, and so far as I have seen, this fortress is too much of a blasted icescape to unfreeze. I'm going down to the magma caverns to keep warm.

I just passed the mayor,  Dumat, who was cheerful about being elected, but asked if she could please have some nicer rooms.

3rd Granite.
Unable to locate any form of mayoral suite, I have ordered the miners to dig one out. Why are all the maps of the fort so off-centre? This is infuriating.

On the other hand, someone with too many ê's in their name made a masterwork cabinet. The mayor will be delighted.

4th Granite
Mm, masterwork plump helmet biscuits.

I just saw the CMD wander by with a log over their shoulder. Their labours have been adjusted so they actually treat the doomed dwarf instead of... Uh... Where is all this wood going? A big pit?

Typical.

5th Granite.
 After five days and no sign of my work order for cages being so much as approved, I went looking for the manager. They were in the mines.

I replaced them. Kellan may be an excellent manager, but he's also the head miner, and there's a good whack of mining to be done.

Congratulations, random passer-by Athel Onulsarek, Planter.

As I walked off, Kellan shouted to me "I can too administrate! I'm the bookkeeper as well!"

This is going to be a long year.

12th Granite
I've ordered the huge designations for wood stockpiles cut dramatically. We have more logs that we will ever reasonably need, and the fortress is at a standstill, every dwarf who should be doing something, anything, is instead hauling logs down the the damned stockpiles. 500 logs is plenty!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:40:36 am by Dorsidwarf »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2015, 10:16:26 am »

After a brief chat with the Chief Doctor
We don't have a doctor. Did you hit your head in a cave in?

Also my Poor Loghouse :(
We are dealing with elves: You can never cut down enough trees to make them happy. I was trying to make this fortress very safe, and siege-proof. Remember the problem with the armor if you would.

Ps. Can I be signed up for another turn?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:20:36 am by maxcat61 »
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2015, 11:13:39 am »

Actually, we do, the very first thing I did this fort was appoint some diagnostician CMD so I could see the health readout for the woodcutter.

Who is still pretty cheerful despite receiving no treatment and slowly dehydrating to death.

And I wasn't joking at all when I said it was crippling the fortress. I had 40 dwarves hauling logs, ten eating/drinking/sleeping/on break, an unhappy mayor with no rooms, a manager who was also the bookkeeper and a miner during a big dig, and a mixed squad teaching each other biting. The wood piles are currently at about 3/4ths the capacity you intended, and there's a bunch of wood outside.

I have also bought a giant parrot off the elves for some gems, since they don't seem to have brought elvish booze this year.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2015, 11:39:20 am »

I believe the tileset made this fort xXinterestingXx.

Oh, and the woodcutter dehydrated right before the mayor got to him with the years first bucket of water.

EDIT: Every time I look at the sparring logs, something has been nagging at me. Now I know why.

"The swordsdwarf strikes the Hammerdwarf in the head with the -Silver scimitar-, lightly tapping the target".

No, you can use the steel shortsword that's just sitting here waiting for you.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:45:14 am by Dorsidwarf »

SkaiaMechanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2015, 12:34:47 pm »

Yeah, sign me back up for the 8th turn. This has been getting interesting.

...I'll make sure to regularly save next time....

Let's see if my dwarf can even survive until then...

I'm running out of dogs. I'm running out of bolts.
I'm running out of dwarves.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2015, 01:25:26 pm »

I figured out what the problem is with the weird tiles. Whatever tileset maxcat was using changed the symbols on a bunch of stuff.

Warning: I don't think this will break anything but I can't be sure.

If you replace the region2/raw/objects files with one from a default 40.23 save the weird tiles will be fixed. I don't think this messes up the save but make a backup just in case. I didn't have any problems while testing it.

I think the problem is only in the inorganic_xxxxx.txt files but I'm not sure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:47:53 pm by xub313 »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2015, 01:43:13 pm »

Just finished up for today, but I'll give that a crack next chance I get to play.

13th Slate:
Since we have all that wood lying around outside the front gates, I have had a great big tower built, expanding over the top of the trade depot with a corridor to allow cart access.

15th slate:
I guess it's not really that bi- Oh, hello migrants!

Lots of low-skilled people, along with a butcher who's a seriously good record keeper.

Kellan was furious at being demoted again, so I dug the new guy an office instead of kicking him out

17th

Mayors rooms are up to scratch, done some engraving, big panoramic gem windows are being installed.

I've built a magma smelter and told it to melt some things, like spare large copper boots, or two of our nine steel anvils.

18th In order to compare skill learning in focused Millitia as opposed to general-purpose, I've assigned a competent swordsdwarf immigrant three unskilled labourers.

20th Told them to go hang out in the bar, their swords aren't ready yet.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2015, 02:00:50 pm »

why do we have 9 unused steel anvils? also, my turn next, wooo

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2015, 04:46:02 pm »

Well, I was buying every bit of metal they had, and they had 9 steel anvils. I hadn't gotten the chance to melt them: other stuff happened. Also, you removed the Silver Scimitar. I gave him it because it was a curved sword. Curved. Sword.

Noooooooooooo. Not all my stockpiled wood. Oh wait, you got the stuff outside. Its alright then. Also, could you post more pictures?
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2015, 05:30:03 pm »

I try, but the computer I can play DF on isn't the same one as I can access these forums on, so I have to copy out the image links one by one.

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2015, 06:09:02 pm »

Email it to yourself. the link, that is.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2015, 05:33:47 am »

Good news! My laptop handles DF quite nicely, despite my worries, so prepare yourself for more pictorial updates!

22nd Felsite:

The tower thingy under construction is looking pretty good, but I've had to make it a funny shape. "Can't build a wall on a floor" my ass.
I like the gate effect though. I might consider making a courtyard of sorts.

23rd Felsite

Digging and mechanical work on the minicistern has been completed! Hopefully this will avoid the loss of more brave dwarfs who break a toe or something.

I've ordered the miners to begin work on a statue garden near the housing level, to encourage them to hang about nearer the places I'll need them soon.

On the swordsdwarf front: While they're still boozing around, I've finally got that steel smelted from the anvils, so their swords will be here soon.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2015, 05:38:57 am »

And the pumping starts! Soon, a flow of fresh, clean water for anyone who is unfortunate enough to be in hos-

Damn.

One hasty set of walls later...

Much better!

1st Hematite
The cistern is full, I've ordered the intake shut off, we now have a little more water in our lives. Will be useful, come the winter.
Someone just ran up to me, said the human merchants were here.

Wait, that's not what he said.

What the hell did the previous overseers do?!

That's not even the humans! To arms! Seal the gate! Get inside!

DO SOMETHING!

EDIT: They just... vanished. One frame after unpausing, all the zombies vanished and the seige lifted.

16th Hematite:
The swordsquad has been assigned their swords now. The captain is busy showing them how to dodge. They're hopeless still. Only been a few days, though.

Work has begun on a new, huger dining room! It has a Top Secret design plan, so I can't show you... yet.

They're back! To ar- waitm, this is actually a caravan. TO THE DEPOT!

At least we'll have a use for all these masterwork crafts dwarves keep shouting about as I walk around.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:45:43 am by Dorsidwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26