Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 51730 times)

perigrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2015, 05:31:35 pm »

just send it on. shit (Dark souls 2, big projects, severe sickness) keeps coming up in my personal life, but i will defiantly play it on my next turn. i just got drunk and buggered off. also, by default plump helmets are not allowed to be brewed, so you may want to change that. i literally played for like a month before i got distracted, no big loss.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:33:08 pm by perigrin »

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2015, 05:42:33 pm »

Alright. I've gotta take care of some stuff for a couple hours and then I'll have a bunch of time to play.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2015, 12:28:09 am »

21st Limestone, 102

Today I arrived at the fortress of Shedimmondûl, or "Shadowgrave" they call it. It's not much but it's ... not much.

The surface level is just a bunch of rooms dug out of the sand, and surrounded by a dinky wooden fence. There are even holes in the roof of the mound for some reason, leading right into the dining room. Anyone could just jump right in if they wanted to. My first order will be to patch them up.

The second order of business is to fix our drink shortage. We've only got 72 urists of booze. Not nearly enough for a fortress of 70! I'll enable the brewing labor on a bunch of dwarfs. The drought should end soon.

Finally, we've gotta do something about the crazy amount of wood we have stored. We have 2000 logs! There's only one good use I can think for them. I've ordered the construction of 6 new wood furnaces.

25th Limestone, 102

I traded a bunch of crafts for some armor and metal goods. We can melt them down to better equip our military, which is our only defense right now.

We've also become a barony! Èzum Keskallised was promoted for no particular reason at all. :P

25 Limestone, 102

Some migrants have arrived! Three promising dwarfs were recruited into the newbie squad. Only about 7 in total. That stinks, I could use more dwarf power.

18th Sandstone, 102

A giant cave spider has found it's way into the fortress! SOUND THE ALARM! It's attacking a poor innocent, dwarven child! Oh no!

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

Anyway, I've started to properly wall off the caverns now.

27th Sandstone, 102

Limul Bokbonlogem has become a swordsmaster! Good for you buddy!

28th Sandstone, 102

Catten Mistêmil, Timebomb has gone missing for a week. I asked some of Catten's friends what happened and they say he went insane, so they locked him up and let him starve to death.  :o

9th Timber, 102

Oh great. I've neglected blocking off the caverns. Good thing this thing can't fly or climb like a spider (I hope not!). I'm not one for walling off FBs though. Time to mobilize the military!

14th Timber, 102

I've decided to hold off the attack while I try to work out the uniforms. It's pretty chaotic right now. I've also started soap production. How long have these dwarfs gone without basic necessities such as this?

24th Timber, 102

I've started getting the uniforms set up. Maxcat, you've has been upgraded to a steel battle axe. May it serve you well. :)

Things are going kinda slow right now, There is a lot to be done but not enough dwarfs to do it.

30th Moonstone, 102

I forgot to mention that much of this season's labor was spent beefing up our walls. I've also started replacing the sand walls with block ones. By the time I'm done, Shadowgrave is gonna be a top of the line citadel. My personal text doesn't say recruit more masons for nothing. :P

I'll launch the attack on Nomartamun Kul tomorrow. Unless everyone else tells me not to.

There are plenty of opportunities to be dwarfed too. Go ahead and give me a name if you don't want to play.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:34:17 am by xub313 »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2015, 01:09:12 am »

Dude, I'm the brewer, I have a free ticket to dying last. Send the military if you feel like it  8)

As for the epic child... it's a shame that he will probably die to hilarious overseer antics before he reaches adulthood, beccause he just begs to become the leader of the milicia later in life.

''You call that push-ups, soldier? I killed a giant cave spider before i learned to walk, GIVE ME FIFTY!''
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:15:17 am by Taupe »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2015, 01:53:31 pm »

I would still like a turn, but go ahead and dorf me... Iamblichos, preferably a stone carver or mason.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:52 pm »

Here you go Iamblichos.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Moonstone, 102

OH SNAP! I just unpaused! It's a good thing I just got the military organized.

Wait a second... those aren't goblins!

What sort of sick twisted world is this? Assemble the military in the courtyard! And plug up that hole before the enemy is in our fort! (I just found out thank goodness.)

Well the hole has been plugged. i'm not sure if the baroness is stupid or a genius for walling herself in. ::)

3rd Moonstone, 102

For some reason the hunters and farmers think it's a good idea to not respect the burrow. I took care of the farmers but the hunters are standing outside the keep!

On the bright side, they have metal bolts. Hopefully that will soften the invaders up a bit.

4th Moonstone, 102
(sorry for the lack of pictures. I tried to make a gif but I messed it up. :-[)

First, a surprisingly agile speardwarf charged the hunters. They shot him down pretty quickly though. Then I sent the military to charge around the corner and attack the enemy's flank.

Most of the newbies got chopped up, well the ones that showed up did. I turns out half the squad was hiding out in the barracks "getting drink" or whatever. Wimps!

The only death in the jock squad was Zasit Ilromùshrir the axedwarf. He did kill one invader before he got killed by an enemy swordsdwarf. (This is confusing with dwarfs vs. dwarfs. ::))

The real star of the show was the Mace Lord Muthkat Ducimrikkir. He slaughtered most of the enemy. Five in total. Unfortunately he decided to run off and attack the crippled speardwarf instead of staying with the group. We probably wouldn't have as many casualties if he had stayed.

All in all, Zastit and three newbies died. We shouldn't have had this many casualties with only six invaders! I'm gonna spend some time whipping the military into shape.

I just noticed that the swordsdwarf Dorsidwarf died. Sorry. You can blame half the military faffing around in the barracks instead of helping you.

14th Moonstone, 102

I have the military all set up now into two squads of five. I'm still hoping to take on Nomartamun Kul this season, but it have to wait a bit. We can't afford another four dead dwarfs.

I've also begun paving over the top of the "dirt hut" with wooden logs. That'll stop trees from growing and leaving holes in our roof.

I've already recruited a bunch of architects. So it shouldn't take too long.

25th Moonstone, 102

I've decided we have too many dwarfs farming. We have a surplus of food and drinks. I've canceled work on the outdoor farms and two of the underground ones. That should clear up some labor for more important things.

27th Moonstone, 102

I just realized that I forgot to set up a barracks for The Armored Paints. They've been idling all month! Whoops. ::)

22nd Opal, 102

It's been pretty quiet this month. I plan on taking on Nomartamun Kul soon.

A tribe of grey langur men have arrived and are bum rushing to the fortress. Probably to rescue their caged friends or something. It'll be a good warm up for the military.

23 Opal, 102

Never mind, they've decided on the less just cause of theft. Kill these skulking vermin!

24th Opal, 102

Ok, so grey langur men are fast. They got away with a bunch of stuff. I'll begin the assault on Nomartamun Kul now (finally!). Hopefully we can regain some of our pride. 

1st Obsidian, 102

The attack on The Abyssal Dragon of Holes's starts today. Here's the setup.

If something goes way wrong, the bridge will be raised to block off the fortress. SkaiaMechanic will be in charge of that. The entrance has been dug. Here comes the beast!

Are you kidding me? THIS IS NOT THE TIME! Limul, Datan, and Zulban are our only hope. Also, SkaiaMechanic isn't at her post! Everything has gone wrong!

Here it comes! Even Zulban wandered off. Great!

Spoiler: long combat report (click to show/hide)

Victory! Limul and Datan are true heroes! I found out why so many soldiers are "picking up equipment". It's because we only have 2 backpacks! I've ordered up a bunch of them as well as some zinc flasks.

12th Obsidian, 102

I've gone ahead and started to set up a permanent presence in the caverns (3rd level). A miner has already discovered a magma pool. It's not in a very convenient spot though. It's only a couple tiles above the mama sea.

I've finished paving over the mound as well. I'll now spend the rest of the months labor on the walls and securing the caverns.

17th Obsidian, 102

I've started construction of the 4th floor of the inner walls and I dealt with a troll in the caverns. I think I'll set up the prison in the cavern pillars. That sounds pretty dwarfy.

19th Obsidian, 102

This guy is awesome. I image he has giant pine needles for spikes or something. This should be easy now that I can use the full power of Shadowgrave's military. But deadly dust can be very, you know, deadly. I'll evacuate everyone from the caverns.

30th Obsidian 102

Ithibi has vanished into an unexplored part of the caverns. I've sent the military squad to hunt it down. Will they find the beast? Will they survive the fight? You'll have to wait 'till next time!  :P

Here's the fort's status for the end of year 3.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:59:00 pm by xub313 »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2015, 09:32:50 am »

Dusty FBs are where fun goes to die.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2015, 10:07:49 am »

Iamblichos, you have been added to the list of future overseers.

Also, Shadowgraves may have the honor of being one of the few forts to war with their own kin.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:10:38 am by darokindefender »
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2015, 03:09:17 pm »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2015, 05:38:51 pm »

What part of "Untrained idiots, do not send into battle" did you not get? Sending in the newbies will always be a net loss for the dwarves, because their friends will throw a fit because they have no skill and die instantly. Or don't show up, so their actually useful teacher dies. Now you have to find a mid-high level swordsdwarf with no skills in other weapons to continue the experiment.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2015, 06:26:31 pm »

What part of "Untrained idiots, do not send into battle" did you not get? Sending in the newbies will always be a net loss for the dwarves, because their friends will throw a fit because they have no skill and die instantly. Or don't show up, so their actually useful teacher dies. Now you have to find a mid-high level swordsdwarf with no skills in other weapons to continue the experiment.

I'll admit, I didn't really understand you're squad setup. I handled that terribly. Sorry. :-[

The good news is that the new military is looking very good. Almost all of them are fully decked out in metal armor and good quality weapons, and are training really quickly.

Using a dwarf with a single high level weapon skill to teach a bunch of newbies isn't worth it in my experience anyway. So I've set up two squads. One is an axe/swordsdwarf squad with Maxcat and Limul as the "teachers", and the other is a macedwarf squad lead by Muthkat. I think this is a good setup, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

If you're talking about the dwarf siege. Either ...

A. The goblins snatched a lot of dwarven babies that then grew up loyal to the goblin civ. or ...

B. The goblins conquered a dwarven civilization and the surviving dwarfs grew up loyal to the goblin civ.

So don't worry, I didn't anger the Mountainhome or anything. :)

I may or may not update today. Cramming complex manifolds + Dwarf Fortress has completely fried my brain this week. I'll definitely post an update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:28:06 pm by xub313 »

Fperson1

• Bay Watcher
  • A Distressing Lack of Weaponsmiths
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2015, 01:17:42 am »

I may as well get dorf'd. Fperson, preferably an armorsmith or weaponsmith if you've got one, a random axedorf if you don't.
Upon reflection, I realize that Magma-duct #2 will either work fine, or flood the area that the militia trains.
Go out there and make those 12 children of yours proud... or I'll draft all of them and send a giant ball of your progeny at the enemy if you die. Fun for the whole family!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2015, 02:55:24 am »

The idea behind the setup was that because my dwarf had (somehow) no military skills other than swordsdwarf, the dwarves would spend less time organising biting demonstrations for the axedwarves, or hammer demonstrations for the crossbowmen, both meaning they waste less time and train their desired skill fastah.

Alas, poor dorsidwarf was not despairing enough.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2015, 06:25:37 pm »

This is sig-worthy.  It captures the spirit of Shadowgraves.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2015, 08:11:36 pm »

Here you go Fperson.

1st Granite, 103

I've decided to send the military back to the cavern outpost. Ithibi was last seen on the first cavern level. It's too far away for me to safely send the military now. There might not even be a passage from the first level to the second/third level caverns. I'll keep an eye out though.

Well look who's arrived. An elven diplomat. I don't think he's gonna be happy with all the trees previous overseers have cut down.

4th Granite, 103

Yeah, screw you buddy. I usually can tolerate elves until they start sending diplomats. Now begins the "I hate elves but I wan't a breeding pair of grizzly bears dilemma."

14th Granite, 103

Ithibi still hasn't shown it's face. I've called off the military and opened up the caverns again. If there was a way for Ithibi to get down here, It would have found it already.

I've ordered the expansion of the refuse/corpse stockpile. I've begun construction on a new dining room. I'm also gonna completely rearrange our stockpiles.

An elven caravan from Disa Lethari has arrived. Alright, let's get this over with.

3rd Slate, 103

I traded a few rock crafts for some fruit and clothing. there were no grizzly bears. :(

6th Slate, 103

The grizzly bear that we do have has now been trained for war. I'll still keep her caged up though.

Also, I'm gonna go ahead and start up a marksdwarf squad. They'll be useful for sure.

Ithibi still hasn't show up. I'm not gonna deal with it for this season. It could be dead for all I know.

13th Slate, 103

A gremlin! Drive it away!

Ugh... I hate these guys. Their ability to unlock doors is super annoying.

Here's how the dining room is coming along. The side rooms are for nobles or whatever. One z-level down will be the new kitchen and food stockpiles.

Edit : a dog happened to be around and killed the gremlin. Good puppy!

23rd Slate, 103

Some migrants have arrived! about 30 in total. Many of them were drafted into the military. Shadowgraves is now 101 dwarfs strong!

27th Slate, 103

A jabberer ripped two poor peasants to shreds. It seems the dwarfs are trying to stockpile a bunch of corpses in the caverns. Forbidding them should stop the problem. Our Chief Minion Maxcat has taken care of the jabberer.

2nd Felsite, 103

I found another entrance to the caverns that wasn't properly blocked off. Now a giant cave ogre has found it's way in! It's attacking a poor, innocent dwarven child! Oh no!

I'm sorry Kivish (He's totally getting his own tomb ;)). He died the way he lived, punching creatures 100x his size (or maybe pyramid! :P). Thankfully I had the coincidental avalanches stationed nearby to take care of the ogres. The're dead now, but they did kill another child and a dog. I'll plug up the hole immediately.

10th Felsite, 103

My fps tanked from a solid 50 to 7. I thought it might have been a necromancer ambush so I sent out The Armored Paints to look for it. They found nothing and the lag stopped around the 20th of felsite. (I've had this happen with other 0.40.xx forts aswell. Hopefully it's just me.)

26th Felsite, 103

Long time no see, eh? So I guess Ithibi is still around. I was sure it was killed or something. It walked around a bit and then disappeared again.

Also, the dwarfs keep spamming cancellation messages. I've had this with previous forts when I open up the caverns. I think they're trying to path through undiscovered areas to pick up junk. It's pretty frustrating. Forbidding everything has stopped most of it thankfully.

30th Felsite, 103

The inner walls are almost done and the military now consists of 20 dwarfs. I didn't get around to rearranging the stockpiles but that should come soon. When I'm done with the inner walls I'll start adding traps to our defense.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 09:26:24 pm by xub313 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 26