Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]

Author Topic: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!  (Read 51165 times)

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Shadowgraves (Succession Game)-Taking Applicants Now!
« Reply #375 on: April 11, 2015, 04:22:15 pm »

OH MY ARMOK FIRE EVERYWHERE
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 11, 2015, 05:06:57 pm »

My computer can't handle this. Here are 2 saves, 1 was before the fire, the other is as far as I can go. The FPS are about 1. Fire demon, smoke, 20 pages of the demon punching everyone.
Pre fire: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10760
Fire (better have a good computer): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10761

*Also, hell has yet to be sealed. The mason was the first to die.
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2015, 08:10:45 pm »

Oh, wow. I'm almost afraid to try...Well, I'll have some time tomorrow to look at this.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2015, 08:48:22 pm »

If you try the fire save, the real issue is fps and the lack of any militia around the demon: they all went to sleep/eat/drink at the same time, despite the fact that I put them on station  >:(. If you try the pre save, remember that the demon will appear very soon.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #379 on: April 12, 2015, 07:09:22 am »

In the 'fire save' I got about 13 fps. So it's playable. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on... :o
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #380 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:31 pm »

Just a quick note on progress: I finished sealing off the underworld, the one demon that was really trouble went off somewhere. (Off the edge of the map of the third cavern layer, I think.) Everything burned itself out (including one corpse, I'll probably need to slab whoever that dwarf was at some point). ALSO, a goblin siege appeared, but that was laughably easy to deal with. Now everyone's hauling and the FPS is up to 28, more than double when I started!

Blackops35

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY_SIZE:18:0:50000]
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2015, 04:22:30 pm »

By the great powers of Shadowgraves, RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

Bringin' this back to life, hopefully long enough for people to join.

Also, I'll be forfeiting my turn until further notice, as life is far too busy to work on a succession game.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #382 on: April 25, 2015, 02:13:26 pm »

The halls were choked with smoke and filled with battle cries and screams of the wounded. The labyrinthine design of the dwarves' demon trap kept the sounds echoing back and forth until the very walls seemed to whimper.

When the underworld was breached, the demons had poured forth. Abominations formed of powdered salt stalked the halls, some insectile in shape, some more vaguely outlined. Elemental terrors swarmed--blobs of scorching flame and swirling snow.

And then there were the turkey monsters.

They sounded humorous, but nobody laughed when they spat goo the color of troll blood at you.

"What's going on? Are we winning?" Dwarves ran back and forth through the mists. "Where's Maxcat? Anyone seen him?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A corpulent dwarf stumbled out of the smoke, waving a hand in front of his bearded face. "Dammit! Someone's got to take charge here!"

"...it's me, isn't it?"

=====

Recollections of Feb 'Chaoseed' Alathcilob

Maxcat's plans for sealing the underworld are finally realized. The last few demons are slaughtered. The long task of healing and cleanup (mostly cleanup) begin. I visit my friend The Kaspa in the hospital; while dour as always, he looks ready to be up and about any day now.

Eventually the ordinary routines of Shadowgrave life begin to reassert themselves.

Tobul Mothdastiden the legendary Gem Cutter is hit by a silver bolt to the leg. Imush Nishnimak, Milker, takes a copper bolt to the gut. Some of the soldiers get hung up in a mob and Zasit Kinbesmar takes on the last three herself. Other than those minor notes, it's an ordinary, run-of-the-mill decisive victory for the Shadowgrave militia. However, it does focus attention on a few things; first, three militia captains have been killed, we need more. Secondly...the outdoor approach, the plants outside and even the icy lakes are PAVED with vomit.

Speaking of ordinary routines, the nobles demand a quiver and bucklers. Speaking of supplies, we have HUGE amounts of thread and yarn. There's so much that the scribes take several seconds to get out the records for it.

Olon Rakustor finally died of thirst, after going berserk and apparently being locked in a workshop for everyone's protection. 'Peregrin', a legendary stonecrafter and solider, is meanwhile hungry and thirsty with severe blood loss...and going to "pickup equipment". For Armok's sake, just take a break!

Oh carp!

I bestow the title of "Cyclops Slayer" on Amost Zoluthoslan Geb Okang ("Amost Combatwind the Dent of Yore").

We have a bunch of animal corpses in cages. The only one surviving is a naked mole dog, so I let it out. Where are the craftsdwarf workshops? Oh, they've been moved down there...I GUESS that's okay...grumble

More mysterious deaths. Perigrin had been depressed and/or ill for some time, I believe. Also Tun Lalturkol, Metalsmith; I have no idea what happened there.

Some door construction jobs were suspended, I unsuspended them. Also two walls down near the demon trap, but I'm not messing with that. I'm going to yell at the mayor.

What is this large construction in the lava with an adamantine sarcophagus and why has someone ordered one of its gem windows destroyed?...oh. Okay, but that still doesn't explain the window.

LET CORPSES BE DUMPED! Named demon corpses, meet magma.

I've had all sorts of problems with dwarves telling me that they can't do jobs. Of course, first I had to encourage them to tell me when they have a problem, as someone had forbid them to talk about it. I suspect the problem has something to do with the stockpiles set up to only give to certain workshops. I keep having dwarves whine about not having any non-economic hard rock.

I clear the furniture out of a couple of named dwarves' rooms to make them actual tombs. Also, since Maxcat has another tomb, I assign the tomb he lives in to his wife. Of course, I didn't realize his wife was already dead, so now he's living in the room with her coffin. ... Eh, whatever.

Obsidian

The Elite Marksdwarf Rovoed Dastotoslan has risen and is haunting the fortress! One slab later, the problem is solved.

8th Obsidian

A mace is named.

Doren Anilcatten, Blacksmith is taken by a fey mood! After messing with doors and stockpiles, he finally is able to get the materials for his construction.

Something familiar about that...anyway, 775,200 money. Not our most valuable artifact, but it's close.

And now 'Lucky' Imushrodem has been possessed! I can't tell if that's lucky or not.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:11 am »

The magma tomb is mine. I was planing on flooding it after I died, to be buried in lava.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 27, 2015, 10:25:53 am »

I had quite a few mysterious deaths myself.  Not sure whether there's soap on the stairs or what.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]