Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which foreign weapons are good?  (Read 3253 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Which foreign weapons are good?
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:38:45 am »

I've made my dwarfs able to forge all weapons. Aside from daggers, scourges and whips (which I know are stupid right now) what other weapons are good? I know dorfs can't use mauls and pikes, but regardless I'd like to know which foreign weapons hold up if you can use them.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which foreign weapons are good?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 08:26:47 am »

I understand that whips are pretty OP right now.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 08:31:37 am »

All of the swords are pretty good weapons. Not sure if Dwarfs can use 2 handed swords, but they sure can use scimitars (functionally identical to short swords), and long swords (slightly better than short swords but you wont find one ever made out of anything better than bronze or iron in the vanilla game).

Halberds are also good weapons due to the variety of attacks - though in fort mode I doubt the stupid little bastards would choose the best attack for the situation.

Morningstars are possibly my favourite weapon though. So much better than maces whilst using the same skill. Bone breakers with a shallow pierce attack IIRC. If playing vanilla, material is not an issue as silver ones are abundant, though quality often is unless you can "borrow" a few from gobbo macelords. They will make short work of nearly anything if used correctly.
This is a blank sig.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:21:11 am »

No dwarves can use two handed swords, great axes, mauls, or pikes at all. Small dwarves won't be able to use long swords with a shield so check their size descriptions before assigning long swords. As for what's good, long swords are a good bit better than short swords and probably worth using. Whips and scourges got a significant nerf in that they're the only weapons with an attack speed other than 3:3 and have 4:4 instead. Scourge were never too good anyway, and whips were only overpowered because they cut straight through armor which is something you rarely encounter enemies wearing. The only armor you find is low quality goblin breastplates and helps you probably won't need the armor penetration for anyway. Morningstars and flails are very mysterious weapons. I don't think many people really know how they work or whether they're any good. Somebody once even did testing that concluded copper is the best material for Morningstars.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:21:14 pm »

No dwarves can use two handed swords, great axes, mauls, or pikes at all. Small dwarves won't be able to use long swords with a shield so check their size descriptions before assigning long swords. As for what's good, long swords are a good bit better than short swords and probably worth using. Whips and scourges got a significant nerf in that they're the only weapons with an attack speed other than 3:3 and have 4:4 instead. Scourge were never too good anyway, and whips were only overpowered because they cut straight through armor which is something you rarely encounter enemies wearing. The only armor you find is low quality goblin breastplates and helps you probably won't need the armor penetration for anyway. Morningstars and flails are very mysterious weapons. I don't think many people really know how they work or whether they're any good. Somebody once even did testing that concluded copper is the best material for Morningstars.

Currently playing with flails, lots of fun. Captain of the Guard absolutely wrecks shit with his silver flail. Had a dwarf get gelded after a gob hit him with one. Oh the wincing.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 03:26:12 pm »

Flails, morningstars and mauls are great weapons, especially silver ones. I also really liked whips in 0.34.xx because they were overpowered as fuck, but i'm not sure if they still are.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 03:32:03 pm »

Flails, morningstars and mauls are great weapons, especially silver ones. I also really liked whips in 0.34.xx because they were overpowered as fuck, but i'm not sure if they still are.
Mauls are actually terrible weapons. They are bigger than war hammers, but they have twice the contact area completely negating that advantage. Morningstars would most likely be best if made of steel because it's attack is edged based. However, as I said there was an experiment that concluded copper Morningstars are best, so who even knows.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 03:34:25 pm »

Mauls are actually terrible weapons. They are bigger than war hammers, but they have twice the contact area completely negating that advantage. Morningstars would most likely be best if made of steel because it's attack is edged based. However, as I said there was an experiment that concluded copper Morningstars are best, so who even knows.
Copper morningstars are best? To the arena!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »

I found steel to be the best. They'd pierce flesh and break bones at the same time. I got a steel morning star artifact, it's letting my macelord tear through ogres faster than before. He came as a great macedwarf, so I basically had to use him as a mace dwarf.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 10:16:13 pm »

Whips and scourges are actually still very good. I like them a lot.

On one hand swords are epic with limbs flying...on the other hand a lash to the head with lashing weapon better than copper is likely instant kill on humans,elves,and dwarfs and about 3 or four hits for a troll, and those can go unconsous from the pain to I think, with a whip your main concern are being overwhelmed by numbers and things like night-trolls and (simi)megabeast, for those you might want a team of lashing and some other wepons. The goblins would be death incarnate if THAY had better whips (get your hands on a silver whip or scourge and you have some major power)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 10:21:17 pm »

Whips and morningstars are usable and OP.  Picks are technically foreign due to dwarves not having the weapon:pick tag.  Those are good.  Longswords are okay if dwarves pick them up.

Halbreds, 2h Swords, Pikes, and great axes work well for traps.  Dwarves cant use them, but they make great trap fodder.
  Pikes are my favorite foreign weapon for traps.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 10:29:38 pm »

A steel scourge is the best, as it's a cutting weapon. I currently have a squad of silver whip users, all retrieved from goblins.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 01:21:14 am »

Whips and morningstars are usable and OP.  Picks are technically foreign due to dwarves not having the weapon:pick tag.  Those are good.  Longswords are okay if dwarves pick them up.

Halbreds, 2h Swords, Pikes, and great axes work well for traps.  Dwarves cant use them, but they make great trap fodder.

I'm not sure about all of those but I think some of them can be used by dwarfs that are larger than average, I'm sure I have heard of dwarfs useing pikes at least...or was it 2 handed......?

It's been a while since I did arena testing I could try it but I think all arena dwarfs are avrage size....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 01:52:22 am »

I'm not sure about all of those but I think some of them can be used by dwarfs that are larger than average, I'm sure I have heard of dwarfs useing pikes at least...or was it 2 handed......?

It's been a while since I did arena testing I could try it but I think all arena dwarfs are avrage size....
Theoretically some rare very big dwarves could use some of those weapons, but the size for being able to wiel weapons check isn't performed on an individual basis, it just used the average size. So for dwarves this means the can wield will be working at size 60,000 whether the dwarf ends up being 50,000 or 70,000. The wield weapons one or two handed check works on an individual basis hence why some dwarves need two hands for long swords.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 09:14:12 am »

the 1h vs multigrasp work as intended but the minsize to weild by ai tag only works on averages.

basically bodysize and weapon minsize determine it.  to usethem, make bodysize larger or minsize smaller
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!